How to argue a tax evaluation on real estate?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think mine are $2,100 a year. They are, just looked.

That's ridiculous lol

So, you're paying upwards to 9% property tax? Holy crap. We would not have build our house if taxes were that much. We're down at 1%, so that $30,000 increase in assessed value is only $300 more paid in taxes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

It's terrible. I plan on building a 3000-3500 square ft detached garage in the next few years...can't wait to see what that does.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Time to pull out the code and start studying. I had to do this a few years ago for various reason. Got a pretty good reduction after it was all over. The biggest thing that helped me is there is a percentage limit on how much the increase can be each year.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Time to pull out the code and start studying. I had to do this a few years ago for various reason. Got a pretty good reduction after it was all over. The biggest thing that helped me is there is a percentage limit on how much the increase can be each year.

Hm. I may have to look in to this or at least send it over to my attorney. Thanks Travis.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
The taxes on my house went up $4000 or so. Curious to if anyone has ever been successful in lowering theirs?

I have a few things against me:
1.) I purchased the house in 2016 and the purchase price was above what it was accessed for.
2.) I recently had it appraised in May of 2018 and the appraisal was above what it was accessed for.

BUT, there are no comparable houses within 20 miles. Thoughts?

I cant say for sure about your state, however in NC, Tax assessments have nothing to do with the market value of your home. I mean absolutely nothing. It gets rather confusing at times explaining this to my clients who dont understand what property taxes are and mean. Here, your property tax value can go up or down, depending on the counties budget and needs. Property taxes are what funds the counties budget. If budget needs decrease, the tax value can also decrease. This rarely happens. I get asked all the time when im representing a buyer, or representing a seller..."but the tax value is $XXXXX." I have to explain, and sometimes email them a link to the county gov website so they can read it for themselves. The annual tax value attached to my car is a little over one hundred dollars a year. That doesnt mean its market value is one hundred dollars. Tax Value and Market value are completely opposite of each other and one has no bearing on the other.

This year, all residents of my county were hit with a tremendous real property tax increase. 50% in some areas. We had a county manager, and several of her employees funneling money out of the county budget, with the use if buying gift cards, life insurance policies, then cashing them out. Nearly 5 million went missing. Lavish homes, vacations, cars, electronics. They were all caught and now facing serious federal charges. But, we the tax payers now have to re surplus the budget that was drained.

As far as how to fix it, call the tax assessors office, and ask them to come re evaluate. you have a good shot and winning your case if you present it reasonably.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I cant say for sure about your state, however in NC, Tax assessments have nothing to do with the market value of your home. I mean absolutely nothing. It gets rather confusing at times explaining this to my clients who dont understand what property taxes are and mean. Here, your property tax value can go up or down, depending on the counties budget and needs. Property taxes are what funds the counties budget. If budget needs decrease, the tax value can also decrease. This rarely happens. I get asked all the time when im representing a buyer, or representing a seller..."but the tax value is $XXXXX." I have to explain, and sometimes email them a link to the county gov website so they can read it for themselves. The annual tax value attached to my car is a little over one hundred dollars a year. That doesnt mean its market value is one hundred dollars. Tax Value and Market value are completely opposite of each other and one has no bearing on the other.

This year, all residents of my county were hit with a tremendous real property tax increase. 50% in some areas. We had a county manager, and several of her employees funneling money out of the county budget, with the use if buying gift cards, life insurance policies, then cashing them out. Nearly 5 million went missing. Lavish homes, vacations, cars, electronics. They were all caught and now facing serious federal charges. But, we the tax payers now have to re surplus the budget that was drained.

As far as how to fix it, call the tax assessors office, and ask them to come re evaluate. you have a good shot and winning your case if you present it reasonably.

Thanks for your insights!

2veloce2003

Established Member
Tax assessment appeals vary by area as previously noted. In my area the appeal if approved is not final until the school board agrees on the revaluation. They are purposely made difficult to appeal so most folks just give up.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The biggest thing that helped me is there is a percentage limit on how much the increase can be each year.

this is basically what Brad was referring to the way I understand it. You get a homestead exemption on your primary house. The tax amount can only increase a small amount every year no matter how much the value of the house goes up. His house is worth more than mine but my taxes are a little higher (different areas and assessment rates too), I've only had my house for 10 years or so so the purchase price was much higher

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
The taxes on my house went up $4000 or so. Curious to if anyone has ever been successful in lowering theirs?

I have a few things against me:
1.) I purchased the house in 2016 and the purchase price was above what it was accessed for.
2.) I recently had it appraised in May of 2018 and the appraisal was above what it was accessed for.

BUT, there are no comparable houses within 20 miles. Thoughts?
Why on earth did you have it appraised? For a loan purpose?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why on earth did you have it appraised? For a loan purpose?

For a divorce purpose.

Ex-wife and her attorney were arguing it was worth $150k more than we had paid for it 1.5 years prior.

CV355

_
Established Member
You have to dig in like an Alabama tick or these ****ers will raise your taxes every year.

Fixed it for you

Bq5l.gif

sleek98

Established Member
In most counties in Missouri, they take "their market value" multiple it by 17-25% and that becomes the taxable assessed value, then apply the rate.

For example our house/garage was built for 497k. The county says its worth 470k our rate is 19% of FMV. So my taxable base is $89,300 and our rate is like 8.9% so my tax is around $7,950 a year.

Last time I had to appeal it was on a townhome that was valued at 155k but we bought for 80k. I got them to agree to drop their value to 102k. I had to fill out a form and have them come out and look at it. It was a foreclosure so they wouldnt agree to go all the way down to the 80k purchase price.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i had to go down to my county tax assessor's office and argue pretty hard for them to lower mine. i brushed up on the law beforehand and brought photos and documentation to help argue my case.

what they originally did was automatically appraise my property using a comp down the street, even though i paid about 100k less than what that house had recently sold for (it was in much better condition than mine). here the law says that the base tax value should be based on what was actually paid, provided that it was a "regular" transaction. since mine was bank-owned, they were within their rights to appraise it higher, but not that much higher. so fortunately i was able to split the difference with them and dropped it down by about 50k

not sure if this example is directly applicable to your situation cobra13, but in my experience if you present your case and argue with the proper backup, they will adjust it. best of luck with it.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Don't protest without an attorney, just bring facts and be reasonable and you'll likely have it reduced. My county is absolutely freaking ridiculous, no doubt the highest property increases in the state of Texas. They based the property value on mine from houses that are 9 miles away, not any house anywhere near, but 9 miles away. Why? They can't say. My neighbor retired from the appraisal district and she can't even explain how they get their numbers.

We're talking 40-70% increase in value in one year, so it'll increase by 10% a year forever.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
this is basically what Brad was referring to the way I understand it. You get a homestead exemption on your primary house. The tax amount can only increase a small amount every year no matter how much the value of the house goes up. His house is worth more than mine but my taxes are a little higher (different areas and assessment rates too), I've only had my house for 10 years or so so the purchase price was much higher
Correct Jerry. We all almost get a $25,000 homestead exception if we’ve live in the house long enough and are a full time resident. If I sold this for $300k, and replaced it with a $300k my taxes would at least double. In other words, I paid $103 for the 23 years ago, and get the exception I mentioned. I pay taxes on $78k. Our proposal for next year raises it $50. Thank you tourism.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't protest without an attorney, just bring facts and be reasonable and you'll likely have it reduced. My county is absolutely freaking ridiculous, no doubt the highest property increases in the state of Texas. They based the property value on mine from houses that are 9 miles away, not any house anywhere near, but 9 miles away. Why? They can't say. My neighbor retired from the appraisal district and she can't even explain how they get their numbers.

We're talking 40-70% increase in value in one year, so it'll increase by 10% a year forever.

So present facts, or get an attorney to do it?

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So glad I don't pay taxes. Just wish I had my body back.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I've appealed tax appraisals twice in 30 years and had them lower the home's accessed value in both cases. Two different houses in two different states.

But in both cases the way they arrived at the values were idiotic. I pointed out said idiocy in an objective fashion, pointing out the tax values of other comparable properties in my 'hood and they adjusted them.

Users who are viewing this thread