How strong is the IRS?

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Well with the FTBR kit,bumpsteer &endlinks,level 5 1/2 shafts,LPW cover & ARP hardware,bi-ply tire. It is very strong!! But after years of Racing, attended an event with sick track prep,new 28” slicks & 2 step!! The week link exposed itself enjoy......
5b76e344e2b684ef18ab5097e0b4f324.jpg
b873564fcbbedec450d72c18ca2e5f5b.jpg
e82524c42a055e3745dcbc3af9571797.jpg
1a83920715c4be9e9eb8d8be58f94a24.jpg

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Yes,moser m88 unit going in coil overs & welded TQ boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hotcobra03

Established Member
nice..

If you really been beating on this..it held

I think this was something a straight would do also..

the u joint should be the weakest link..

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Absulty not the SRA when built properly is much stronger.the week link will be the spider gears that’s why I be going spool.after that it will be the U joint or the T-56!
Honestly I’ve never seen a SRA explode the housing like this

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
How much power were you making. You did some good damage. Looks like your irs setup was all done correct with the best part.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
700 RWHP yea IRS had everything you could buy, would have been better off going SRA years ago. Just heads up to the Drag racers! But im happy with 10.44 on IRS, she will be 9.xx in spring!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
700 RWHP yea IRS had everything you could buy, would have been better off going SRA years ago. Just heads up to the Drag racers! But im happy with 10.44 on IRS, she will be 9.xx in spring!

Sounds like you got a nice beast there. Great times. Impressive on the irs. Well now youll ve able to build a SRA for your set up. You could sell the irs now. Is the pumpkin is the only thing damaged?

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
That’s the plan,as far as I can tell that’s the only damage.when I pull it in a couple weeks it will be for sale. Thanks!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
This sucks. I am also trying to hold out and stick with the IRS. What’s your typical launch technique?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Sucks that it blew, but with the new SRA setup and 9s as a goal, it will all be worth the present pain. Man do I love your RF Cobra. Such a mean looking beast! With innards to match the exterior. :cool:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Man that was destructive! i have the same IRS setup, FTBR everything... and i still get wheel hop on my 18in R888, i haven't tried launching on a tall slick yet, but its coming. I want to keep my IRS so i hope i don't see that kind of carnage! although i already have snapped the axles.

fitforspeed

Established Member
Wow that’s something I haven’t seen before! Our setups are similar except I’m running 4:10’s. Note to self- don’t use the 2-step or carnage might ensue! I have the 2step but have not used it, now I think I won’t.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
the launch technique with a 2 step is set RPM put foot to floor wait for light dump clutch! I was going for a 9 sec pass when it let loose. going back to foot Pedal for now! car just turned 9K.

wckdvnm

Established Member
I’ve heard the iron 95 T-bird diff section is stronger and is relatively cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread