How restrictive is the Stainless works exhaust

ViciousJay

Established Member
LOL, this is absurd, a straight through muffler that loses 20HP:lol: everyone calls flowmasters 'chokemasters' and says "don't buy flowmasters, you'll lose ~5HP" because of the chambered design, but this straight through is supposed to be FAR less efficient than even those.
sounds to me like there is some unaccounted for variables in this comparison, or even just an anomaly.
could it be back pressure? :idea:

2k3Mach

Established Member
That is true, I bought my long tube setup from terry. Great customer service from him. Hell I had an issue with my headers and him and sw made it right. I'm tuned by Shaun as well. I agree that terry could benefit from having him test the exhaust. Really would put this to bed.

Exactly... and IF something is wrong, SW could change things up to resolve the issue and have happy purchasers. No one wants to not improve on their product for the consumer (outside of the banking and oil industries anyway)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
when i talked to Paul at SW they did tell me that the mufflers are designed that way to get the sound they have. My car did make more torque but less HP on the dyno compared to other cars with similar mods. I would assumed based on the backpressure the TQ was better.

32V Stang

Established Member
I have them, and looking at them, yes they are straight thru but those little fingers that stick up must make some turbulence in the air flow. I would love to see them tested on a flow bench against another exhaust.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have them, and looking at them, yes they are straight thru but those little fingers that stick up must make some turbulence in the air flow. I would love to see them tested on a flow bench against another exhaust.

That's sounds like a good plan.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
It might have too much, it might be open too much
"open too much", like not enough back pressure? because you don't want ANY back pressure in the exhaust. what you do want is high velocity which is achieved with a properly sized exhaust. too large of an exhaust on an NA engine isn't good because you lose velocity, not because you lose back pressure.
and, as far back as the mufflers are, they should have next to no effect on exhaust velocity.

That's sounds like a good plan.
concur, lets do it! though i'd still like to see real - same day - back to back dynos too.

wbt

Banned
I don't think Shaun is doing any of these things, Terry. I think all he is doing is posting about some results that he found with customers' cars that had the SW exhaust. He did say he would provide his CC number if you wanted to send him a catback to test. Maybe there was something else that was a factor with the other cars that would be disproved with a test on his car. Maybe it is the exhaust. You sell it, you could benefit from his testing. If you are confident that the exhaust is not the issue, why not send it out to him?

Mike

How about a few independent testers vs. just one person? Multiple cars, different dyno's, different tunes, etc... That is how we did the CAI comparisons and the results spoke for themselves. The issue with this is that those testers have to spend their own money to produce results unless they are a shop that has all the facilities. More than likely this disagreement will peter out with no concrete data.

Andrew.gif

That graph doesn't look like a Boss intake 5.0 at all. That looks more like a stock intake graph or something is horribly wrong with that engine/tune/etc...... I wouldn't base any conclusion off of this graph.....

How about some track times to compare against?

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
"open too much", like not enough back pressure? because you don't want ANY back pressure in the exhaust. what you do want is high velocity which is achieved with a properly sized exhaust. too large of an exhaust on an NA engine isn't good because you lose velocity, not because you lose back pressure.
and, as far back as the mufflers are, they should have next to no effect on exhaust velocity.

concur, lets do it! though i'd still like to see real - same day - back to back dynos too.

Well I will agree. Anyone want to step up an do this?

How about a few independent testers vs. just one person? Multiple cars, different dyno's, different tunes, etc... That is how we did the CAI comparisons and the results spoke for themselves. The issue with this is that those testers have to spend their own money to produce results unless they are a shop that has all the facilities. More than likely this disagreement will peter out with no concrete data.

That graph doesn't look like a Boss intake 5.0 at all. That looks more like a stock intake graph or something is horribly wrong with that engine/tune/etc...... I wouldn't base any conclusion off of this graph.....

How about some track times to compare against?

Id like to see all 3 things done. Flow tested, dyno back to back,
An track time..maybe will get someone to accept the challenge.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
Hey Terry, tell us again how much horsepower your car has....LOL

I find it funny you're calling Shaun unprofessional and all this, and yet you're making infantile jokes towards him a few posts later. Aren't you supposed to be professional too? Being a vendor and all?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey Terry, tell us again how much horsepower your car has....LOL

I find it funny you're calling Shaun unprofessional and all this, and yet you're making infantile jokes towards him a few posts later. Aren't you supposed to be professional too? Being a vendor and all?

my point is the car is making what 420-440 rwhp? 20hp on mufflers on an n/a car?

my car is making 1000 and had no issues with the mufflers.

Shaun@AED

How about some track times to compare against?[/qoute]

Top end drop off *may* be attributed to one of the following:
1. Extensive time dialing in TiVCT to extract every last HP which netted more in the 'traditional' GT power band vs a Boss which has CNC'd heads.
I've yet to see a GT with Boss intake hold power like a Boss does with CNC'd heads (on my dyno).
2. Perhaps the stock headers are restrictive a 7k.

wbt

Banned
Top end drop off *may* be attributed to one of the following:
1. Extensive time dialing in TiVCT to extract every last HP which netted more in the 'traditional' GT power band vs a Boss which has CNC'd heads.
I've yet to see a GT with Boss intake hold power like a Boss does with CNC'd heads (on my dyno).
2. Perhaps the stock headers are restrictive a 7k.

If the stock headers were that restrictive then why does the Boss 302 use the same from the factory?

There are plenty of those who have dyno'd their cars with the Boss intake, using different dyno's, that show the powerband stay consistent from ~6,800 to ~7,700 with little to no drop off.

Shaun@AED

If the stock headers were that restrictive then why does the Boss 302 use the same from the factory?

There are plenty of those who have dyno'd their cars with the Boss intake, using different dyno's, that show the powerband stay consistent from ~6,800 to ~7,700 with little to no drop off.

Who knows, but I doubt the tune or motor is a problem.
This is the highest HP NA 5.0 I've had on the dyno.
I had my car on the dyno right after this 447 run and did not put down as much power....and we all know how fast my car runs down the 1/4.

wbt

Banned
Who knows, but I doubt the tune or motor is a problem.
This is the highest HP NA 5.0 I've had on the dyno.
I had my car on the dyno right after this 447 run and did not put down as much power....and we all know how fast my car runs down the 1/4.

That's irrelevant. Way too many other variable that impact those times. Dyno numbers aren't' the end all, be all. Your car has suspension work, weight reduction, etc... done. Way too many differences between each car to compare.

What is needed are before and after track runs on the same car using the same parts from multiple testers.

Shaun@AED

That's irrelevant. Way too many other variable that impact those times. Dyno numbers aren't' the end all, be all. Your car has suspension work, weight reduction, etc... done. Way too many differences between each car to compare.

What is needed are before and after track runs on the same car using the same parts from multiple testers.

My response was to your comment 'there's something horribly wrong with the engine/tune'.

Those that question my tune have never run it. Those that run my tunes don't question the safety and health of their engines.
To reiterate what I've said from day 1.
I run more conservative A/F and ignition timing than most other mail order tunes. My ignition timing curve is within 1 degree of stock 2011, matches stock 2012, and is less timing than a stock 2013. I have posted data logs that show this.

I concentrate on TiVCT changes and getting the power to the ground.

If you are questioning power output of my tunes, you need only look here:
Video: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang Vs. Camaro ZL1 - StangTV

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member

Bernoulli tells us that as velocity increases in a pipe flow, like in a transition from larger diameter to smaller diameter, pressure decreases as well as the inverse, as velocity decreases pressure increases going small to large. Backpressure is directly affected by fluid/gas velocity.

kdanner

Banned

Users who are viewing this thread