How restrictive is the Stainless works exhaust

denial

Established Member
I have the O/R X-Pipe and the catback. After speaking with AED, they claim around a 20rwhp loss due to it being restricted. This was tested on their dyno.

Anyone else have any clues on this? I understand it goes from 3 inch to 2 1/4, but why would SW do this and restrict the air flow and cut HP?

denial

Established Member
Ill refrase this. What he meant was it had minimal gains and netted a -20hp difference compared to other exhaust.

redline

Established Member
I have the O/R X-Pipe and the catback. After speaking with AED, they claim around a 20rwhp loss due to it being restricted. This was tested on their dyno.

Anyone else have any clues on this? I understand it goes from 3 inch to 2 1/4, but why would SW do this and restrict the air flow and cut HP?

i do not see how . i have the retro chamber cat back and it is 3 inch
all the way.my mid pipe id MRT catted inch h pipe and it is 3 inch also. .now the factory h pipe has a bottle neck .

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
i do not see how . i have the retro chamber cat back and it is 3 inch
all the way.my mid pipe id MRT catted inch h pipe and it is 3 inch also. .now the factory h pipe has a bottle neck .

look inside your mufflers and you'll see the bottle neck. im not sure why they do that but they do. I have heard they are making a new design with larger mufflers. I swapped the retro chambered catback out for the magnaflow. I thought the same thing with the mufflers being straight thru design that there wouldnt be any restriction. I was wrong.

denial

Established Member
That's exactly what he had told me. I see what he is talking about inside the retro. I'm just curious if anyone else has been on the dyno and seen a difference in power from this exhaust to another.

Not knocking on SW either, I love their product. It sounds badass.

Last edited:

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Well I made 431whp with Jlt intake and full stainless works exhaust system, Longtubes to tips and I have the retro chamber cat back. Hmmm maybe I'll make 450whp if I go to a different cat back. Yeah I don't think so.

Last edited:

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Who did your tune? Was this race gas? I dont have long tubes on mine.

A local shop here in fort Myers Florida. No race gas just 93 octane. With my mods the average seems to be anywhere from 420-435whp just depends on the dyno. Every shop will be different.

redline

Established Member
look inside your mufflers and you'll see the bottle neck. im not sure why they do that but they do. I have heard they are making a new design with larger mufflers. I swapped the retro chambered catback out for the magnaflow. I thought the same thing with the mufflers being straight thru design that there wouldnt be any restriction. I was wrong.

well the retro chamber does not have mufflers i believe they are resonators

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Yes they do neck down but whats the difference then when people run gt500 mufflers that have to make 2 180 degree turns before the exhaust comes out. I thought axle backs didn't really do much for these cars? So technically where the mufflers mount up for the SW at the back of the car it's technically an axle back accept that it 3 inch all the way up until the retro chambered mufflers/resonators then neck down a little but they still are straight through.

Users who are viewing this thread