How much over sticker price?

cbr repsol

Established Member
I was really in the market to buy a built 03/04 terminator like I had in the past . I ended up looking at a few cars and my wife was like “how much is a new one”? I replied you don’t wanna know. While we were out we stopped at a ford dealer in Tustin,Ca
They had a beautiful grabber lime green gt500 in the show room. The car was msrp at 80k with dealer mark up they were at 130k plus tax and fees. The sales man liked me and said I was the person for this car . Not only because I liked it or because he knew there would be a large commission. He saw when my friend and I talked about the car plus the wife was listening. He saw I knew way to much about the car and even the past cars . Not to mention my mustang tattoo with the ford logo. I asked if the price was negotiable? He was able to ask his boss. I was able to get them down to 115 k plus fees. I still think it’s a lot of money . 35k over sticker just makes me thing I’m giving up to much . Heck for 35k and can get a really nice Camry or 4 runner. Lol, I do like Toyota for reliable daily drivers.
What are your thoughts ? Am i paying way to much ? Is it reasonable due to it being a higher end area in California? I’ve paid mark up on cars before like 5k never this much .
Thanks all to any opinions .

AMB

Established Member
I was really in the market to buy a built 03/04 terminator like I had in the past . I ended up looking at a few cars and my wife was like “how much is a new one”? I replied you don’t wanna know. While we were out we stopped at a ford dealer in Tustin,Ca
They had a beautiful grabber lime green gt500 in the show room. The car was msrp at 80k with dealer mark up they were at 130k plus tax and fees. The sales man liked me and said I was the person for this car . Not only because I liked it or because he knew there would be a large commission. He saw when my friend and I talked about the car plus the wife was listening. He saw I knew way to much about the car and even the past cars . Not to mention my mustang tattoo with the ford logo. I asked if the price was negotiable? He was able to ask his boss. I was able to get them down to 115 k plus fees. I still think it’s a lot of money . 35k over sticker just makes me thing I’m giving up to much . Heck for 35k and can get a really nice Camry or 4 runner. Lol, I do like Toyota for reliable daily drivers.
What are your thoughts ? Am i paying way to much ? Is it reasonable due to it being a higher end area in California? I’ve paid mark up on cars before like 5k never this much .
Thanks all to any opinions .

I have a 03 modified Cobra for SALE!!!

BlownAway03

Established Member
What state @blown away 03
Can you get me a deal like that ?
I live in South Carolina, but bought the car in Arkansas. I don't have any special connections. I just did a lot of calling and negotiating. I've never paid markup before, but didn't feel like hunting anymore and this one had all the options I wanted. I would not pay any more than $5k over.

TFStang

Established Member
Absolutely NOT!!!! Do yourself a favor and call around. We are going into the second production year and a lot more will be “available”. I’m sure you will be able to find an MSRP deal.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I ordered mine for $5k over and thats the max I'd be willing to pay. Car just rolled off the line the other day
received_372085253837117.jpeg

John24

Established Member
What dealer did you buy it from in Florida? Coconut Ford? I ask because in previous posts you talked about a buyer backing out and you scooping it up and changing a couple options.

cbr repsol

Established Member
That’s how I felt , that the price was way to high. I’ll call and renegotiate with them in sales or no deal.
Not that I want a hell cat but maybe I can mention I might go for one of those due to them being out a while and they are willing to sell for sticker price msrp?? Just thinking of other tactics. The other 2 dealers I called were in the same ball park so that made me think they weren’t giving up the cars for anything less.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Absolutely crazy to consider a $50K mark-up on a 2020 GT-500. No way. Not even their "offer" of $35K over sticker. Nonsense. I've seen a few members here post over the past couple of months a purchases at MSRP. That's just plain greed on the dealer's end. If it's located in an affluent area, that might explain the money grab. Be patient and look around. Make some phone calls. You'll find the car you like at or near MSRP. Also, don't be afraid to let a more local dealer know that their outrageous ADM is well, outrageous. Show them some of the prices you've been offered by other dealers. They might then negotiate, or they might tell you to pay their outrageous ADM or find another dealer. And then, do just that. Find another dealer. You WILL find a GT-500 at a much more fair price. Just be patient and make those phone calls.

IMO, a dealer charging an outrageous ADM like that would never see me as a customer. Not that they'd care. They'll just wait for someone to be foolish enough to pay it.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
What dealer did you buy it from in Florida? Coconut Ford? I ask because in previous posts you talked about a buyer backing out and you scooping it up and changing a couple options.

Yes Coconut Point Ford. I initially passed on the allocation earlier in the year. The salesman contacted me after the buyer backed out, it ended up working out as I was able to sell my 350R quicker than expected and order the car how I wanted.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Good to see you back from the Terminator days. 2021 Order Banks open very soon. Start calling Dealers for an allocation. Order it the way you want it at a decent price, or buy The special Mystichrome Vert Terminator. Good luck

cbr repsol

Established Member
Thanks all for the good insight. I thought the price was very steep as well. Like I said I’ve seen mark ups before but never once paid that. I was honestly good with finding a old cobra. My new wife was the one telling me to get a new one . Not that I didn’t know anything about the new ones . It just is a expensive car , that’s why I didn’t wanna even look. It was me trying to entertain her with the high price trying to show her that’s why the old ones still hold value. She was like I don’t like the old one get this so that’s why I started negotiating. She’s like then why am I working if you don’t get what u want? Props to the new wife because the old one wanted me unhappy and stuck in the mud.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Few extra phone calls to other dealers . Some will not budge on the alication of the car. One local dealer is at 106 plus fees on a car with 81k msrp.
Better but still needs to be lower . I told him I can buy from any dealer so what’s going to make me buy from you? He said to come in and they will work out a lower price . So we will see when I stop in later . This one is red in color.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You really need to put some effort into searching - $35k is insane and that salesman is putting it to you hard...dry.

The ADM dealers choose not to budge and want you to come in to figure out how much of a mark you are.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread