How much does value change with mods

cmnorman

Established Member
Just curious about you guys opinions of how changing up the motor in a terminator changes its value? (Bored out, cams, etc). Does it detract from the value? Isn't the motor really where the value lies in these cars?

Rct851

Established Member
there would need to be some serious documentation for me to consider a cobra with motor work. I'm going to be profiling where the current owner lives and all kinds of stuff

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
For most cars, value is going to be in the buyer. I can't tell you actual numbers but it seems to be nearly an even split of people who don't want a heavily modified car/motor. On the other hand, a good amount of people will pay more for it. Often times though, if it isn't well documented then the field of buyers is going to narrow.

There is a lot of assumed risk when you buy a car built by Larry, Moe and Curly.

Long term, if these cars become somewhat collectible, a built motor will almost positively detract from the value. In all honesty though, that is a crap shoot and way to long of a gamble to care about.

4barrel

Established Member
Right now, a mint Fox brings in a lot more money than a Fox with several thousand dollars worth of mods.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If you find someone that wants the exact mods you have, it may add some value. Otherwise little if any.

nxhappy

Established Member
if you are talking collector wise, they won't bone stock

if you are talking the "average joe" most will be OK with minor mods like intake/pulley/tune etc

most people aren't going to want a motor that has been modded to hell and back

cmnorman

Established Member
Thanks, it's a car I'm looking to purchase and not sell. I just don't want to buy something I'll have a hard time selling down the road. I'm looking for a car to drive though, not for collector value.

nxhappy

Established Member
Thanks, it's a car I'm looking to purchase and not sell. I just don't want to buy something I'll have a hard time selling down the road. I'm looking for a car to drive though, not for collector value.

if I were you ...I'd buy one that was lightly modified .....it's the heavy mod cars that can be unreliable ....hell, even a bad tune can blow the motor ....which is why a stock car would be better IMO ....

oldmodman

Established Member
A clean, never had an accident car but with an exhaust and an intake would be "as stock" in terms of used price.

And that is why so many sellers have reinstalled their Eaton, stock airbox, stock tune, stock H pipe and exhaust. They will get more money by selling all the mod parts by themselves. They might not get any more money for the car but all the mod parts can add up to another five thousand, depending on what they had.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I actually paid a bit more for one with a built motor, and would again.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are some who look for a built motor due to their own goals and want to save money on said motor mods. But the majority prefer a stock or lightly modded Terminator motor that hopefully hasn't been regularly raced/beat on.

Buyers looking for a lightly modded/stock Terminator should be aware that it is not uncommon for a modded engine to be de-modded and advertised as "stock or near stock". Buyers must do as much research as they can to verify the stock/near stock claim for obvious reasons. That is somewhat easier to do when a car is sold through, say, SVTP by an active member. It's easier to track the car's history through forum posts.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I think it depends on the buyer, but I also think that with mods you narrow the playing field. Also, a buyer will save money on a modded car and the seller will lose their ass for the most part. So yea I think you are devaluing the car with mods, jmo.

I see nicely modded cars going for about the same price as nice stock cars, so that is the Tell-Tale sign that mods, for the most part, will devalue the car a little.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
It all depends on the buyer..

I'd be a little more hesitant to buy a "built" motor.

I would however be much more inclined to buy a factory motor car with the bolt ons already.. Let the previous owner pay for the mods!!

SlowSVT

Established Member
Solid axle: - 10 pts
Auto transmission: - 9 pts
Owner less then 30 years old: - 6 to -12 pts depending on the guy
Woman owned: + 8 pts
E85 fed motor: -4 pts
2.3 - 2.9 twin screw on moderate boost: + 5 pts
2.3 - 2.9 twin screw on high boost: - 4
3 liter or higher twin screw: - 9 pts
Turbo: + 3 to - 5 depending on installation
Nitrus: - 7
FTBR IRS bushings: + 8 pts
Roll bar: - 7 pts
High lift cams: - 6 pts
2 tone paint job: - 15 pts
Cooling mods: + 5 pts
Fuzzy dice: N/A
Big brakes: + 4 pts
Detroit Locker: - 10 pts
Jacking rails: + 20
Car driven by AC427 on weekends: subtract 2 pts for every hour driven
SBTB: + 3 pts
Headers: + 2 to - 5 depending on brand
T56 Magnum: + 5 pts
OR mid-pipe: - 3 pts
Torque biasing diff: + 3 pts
Ported heads: + 2 pts

cj428mach

Established Member
I would say a a heavily modded car thats clean and done right would bring about 3k more than a stock car.

For example if my car was just a intake, pulley exhaust car id be asking 27k for it with 11,000 miles. You can read my mod list and if I was ever wanting to sell it id be asking 30k for it. Not a very good return on investment ....10k+ to get 3k back.

Now if I had a built motor, sra, auto I think id be struggling for 25-27k.

My suggestion is always document the car and the mods. I have a 3 ring binder completely full of receipts, pictures, and manuals. It has pictures documenting the removal, tear down, and reassembly of the motor to fix the head tick. I also saved every gasket, bolt, etc that was replaced.

That stuff provides confidence to buyers which equals money.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd say it depends on the buyer, the mods, documentation, and who did what.

I like clean slates so I am not fixing or chasing another's screw ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
Just bought mine, spent $28k. I wanted a certain color, a certain mileage range and a certain amount of mods. Anything with a built motor or anything more than the eaton blower was immediately dismissed. I even skipped a couple that had aftermarket hoods. Very happy with my purchase.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
The previous owner had my car for about 3 years.He told me how hard of a time he had finding 5th gear.I am almost certain he never took the car above 100 mph.My car was modified and I would have paid a premium for it.He discounted the car by 5k because he had problems getting a inspection sticker on the car.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Buying any cobra is a chance ..

How much will you be driving it?

We have dd ours since new..stayed stock tho..1 of the few

it appears values have been better than expected and seem to be rising..

ours wont ever see it..

Users who are viewing this thread