How much does value change with mods

dom418

Established Member
It depends but I think overall yes the mods you describe would narrow the type of buyer.

I hands down, have paid more for a bone stock cobra. I am a purest though and appreciate a factory car.

Another issue is people think they can recoup 80% of the mod money when they sell. Took a look in the market section.

At best it's 50%

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
2 tone paint job: - 15 pts

LMAO!!! Now, that's funny right there, but I understand it. This is a purist site. Performance mods are accepted all day long. Then people say when you sell the car take the parts off. Well, if a Cobra has EVERYTHING you want, but it has a 2 tone paint job then Re-paint it. Simple.

And I understand the ONLY visual mods accepted here are wheels. Oh and maybe some billet vents in your hood. Otherwise don't touch it.........

Good thing I don't plan on selling my coupe. 99.9% of you would hate it LOL.

And to answer the OP question..... As long as I have been around cars; original unmodified cars ALWAYS bring in more money in the long run. Some pro touring cars that are done right do bring in a healthy sum, but buyers of cars always seem to want original in the end.

Someone mentioned the Fox bodies earlier. That's a perfect example IMO.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
These cars are unique in the fact you can have double factory hp with essentially bolt on modifications, all returnable to stock if one chooses. To me, "major" modification happens when the motor gets opened up for internal changes .....that's the point the toothpaste gets squeezed out of the tube and you're not getting it back in from a marketability angle. These cars will bring top dollar with an original, healthy powerplant

HPLouis

Established Member
I don't think it that easy to return a car back to stock. I remember going to buy a terminator with a friend and this guy was checking screws around the blower, scratches on the shock towers, the pulley for scratches, etc. the car was advertised as bone stock and never modded but he knew it was returned to stock.

I bet he would have crawled under the car if he didn't see enough in the engine bay.

One of the reasons why I'm not crazy about modding the car is the fact that you get nothing if you ever have to sell. It's hard to sell the modded car because sellers assume you beat it to hell and it's hard to sell the parts because people are looking for a deal.

I will be honest though, I've seen some very nicely modded cars go for much less than the $29K I paid for this car and I wish I got those instead. Someone recently sold a modded convertible Mystichrome on here for $32K and I wish I saw his car first.

Last edited:

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
It depends but I think overall yes the mods you describe would narrow the type of buyer.

I hands down, have paid more for a bone stock cobra. I am a purest though and appreciate a factory car.

Another issue is people think they can recoup 80% of the mod money when they sell. Took a look in the market section.

At best it's 50%

Realistically it more like 10% to 20% if that. I bet I have $15k in my car and it's prolly only worth $2 to $3k more if that, and only to the right person.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Lots of good advice here. I'm in the market right now. A pulley, tune, exhaust, lowering springs, shifter etc doesn't deter me and I might actually pay more for the car that way just b/c I'm going to do that anyways so it would save me the trouble and money. Anything beyond that besides normal wear and tear upgrades like clutch and bushings and I'm out

Users who are viewing this thread