How much do you tip your detailer?

_Snake_

Established Member
A031F3AA-6554-4833-AB32-33A1B118806E.jpeg

Not a $200 paint correction and ceramic coating

_Snake_

Established Member
Regarding tipping.....

I left a generous tip with my detailer the first time I took the gray car. Next time he put PPF on the glossy black trim around the windows and tinted the front and rear lights for free.

Two things I believe in
1. Treating others how you want to be treated
2. Take care of someone and they’ll take care of you

(it doesn’t matter who owns the company)

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Regarding tipping.....

I left a generous tip with my detailer the first time I took the gray car. Next time he put PPF on the glossy black trim around the windows and tinted the front and rear lights for free.

Two things I believe in
1. Treating others how you want to be treated
2. Take care of someone and they’ll take care of you

(it doesn’t matter who owns the company)
I agree fully.
Car looks great.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a mobile detailer come and give me a quote to steam clean/shampoo and detail the interior of a used truck I bought.

He originally quoted me $140 over the phone then when he saw it in person he said it wasn’t as bad as I made it sound and said he’d do it for $120.

He did an awesome job. I ended up giving him $160 and he was absolutely thrilled.

I’ll use him again.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I ran a detailing operation for nearly 30 years. About 80% of my clients tipped something. Average was between $20 and $50. I charged between $135 and $250 depending on what they wanted,

I always did more than I was paid to do and always did more than what was expected.

Sent from my LG V30 ThinQ using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I ran a detailing operation for nearly 30 years. About 80% of my clients tipped something. Average was between $20 and $50. I charged between $135 and $250 depending on what they wanted,

I always did more than I was paid to do and always did more than what was expected.

More as in I paid you to wash the car and you decided to wax it or you just did a really good job washing it?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
This

This, I do my own.

See above.
This is a gray area as a detailer is spending a significant amount of time doing something. What really grinds my gears is the tip jar at (also the card readers asking how much I would like to tip) at places like Jersey Mikes, Subway, and the like. Mother ****ers you made my sandwich not brought my food and refilled my drink.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
More as in I paid you to wash the car and you decided to wax it or you just did a really good job washing it?

Just depends on the car. Sometimes I would add a rain-x or something similar, at no charge, or I would re-clear the headlights. Both of those, I considered chargable separate items. My basic package started at 135. that is about a 6 hour detail job, inside and out including pick up and delivery. People could add little things to a package for $10. If I saw that It needed it, but they didnt mention it, I would just do it. People loved it and gave me raving reviews on that. I built my business on that model. When I sold it, It was on the condition that they continued that practice.

I considered doing ceramic coatings, around here, the average cost is between $600 and $800. But the market for it just isnt there. 1 out of 200 would ask for it so I stopped carrying it.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Just depends on the car. Sometimes I would add a rain-x or something similar, at no charge, or I would re-clear the headlights. Both of those, I considered chargable separate items. My basic package started at 135. that is about a 6 hour detail job, inside and out including pick up and delivery. People could add little things to a package for $10. If I saw that It needed it, but they didnt mention it, I would just do it. People loved it and gave me raving reviews on that. I built my business on that model. When I sold it, It was on the condition that they continued that practice.

I considered doing ceramic coatings, around here, the average cost is between $600 and $800. But the market for it just isnt there. 1 out of 200 would ask for it so I stopped carrying it.
I can understand why you were doing it. But if you were keeping your hand held out and going *cough-tip-cough*, then I would have to say GTFO.

I went to the airport and when getting out, the shuttle driver threw my bags around all stupid and looked at me crazy when I put the $5 that was in my hand in my pocket. What the ****, he really expected a tip?!

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I can understand why you were doing it. But if you were keeping your hand held out and going *cough-tip-cough*, then I would have to say GTFO.

I went to the airport and when getting out, the shuttle driver threw my bags around all stupid and looked at me crazy when I put the $5 that was in my hand in my pocket. What the ****, he really expected a tip?!
Oh no absolutely not. My model was built and did good for years. I never expected any tip at all. I never did a job hoping to get a tip, and i was never disappointed if i didnt get one. I just like pleasing clients and enjoy doing more for people. This world needs more of that.

Just do a good job, be good to people, treat people like you would want.

I dont work for a paycheck. I just wake up everyday and do the things i love to do in this life and the bills get paid.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh no absolutely not. My model was built and did good for years. I never expected any tip at all. I never did a job hoping to get a tip, and i was never disappointed if i didnt get one. I just like pleasing clients and enjoy doing more for people. This world needs more of that.

Just do a good job, be good to people, treat people like you would want.

I dont work for a paycheck. I just wake up everyday and do the things i love to do in this life and the bills get paid.

So how well does the closet creeper business pay?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
So how well does the closet creeper business pay?

I see what you did there.

My detailing operation was a side hobby kinda business. the business brought in at times about 22k-25k a season. I closed from Nov 15th to March 15th. I have always ran side gigs to supplement income in addition to my main income sources. I am the type that will never really retire. I will always be doing something. I am always looking at new ways to produce income. The detailing was solid and smooth for nearly 3 decades.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I see what you did there.

My detailing operation was a side hobby kinda business. the business brought in at times about 22k-25k a season. I closed from Nov 15th to March 15th. I have always ran side gigs to supplement income in addition to my main income sources. I am the type that will never really retire. I will always be doing something. I am always looking at new ways to produce income. The detailing was solid and smooth for nearly 3 decades.
I will never let you forget...along with the time you failed SVTP.

Detailing cars is not easy on the body. I need a day of rest after detailing mine. Shit kills my back and knees.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A very close friend of mine ceramic coated my G70 a week after I took delivery back in April. He had the car for two days. He is meticulous and his normal fee is around $1,000-$1,200 depending on the vehicle. That includes glass, wheels and trim. Exterior only. He wouldn't let me pay him for it, but accepted reluctantly my $200 tip. Special circumstance, of course.

I am SO glad I had my car ceramic coated. Almost 7 months later and water still beads like crazy from my paint. Slick as heck. And the gloss is awesome. I get a lot of compliments. Anyone considering ceramic coating? Do it! But be sure to have your exterior properly detailed prior. Having it done soon after you take delivery of a new vehicle is the best option.

Coiled03

Established Member
Why the hell would I pay your bill? It's not my fault your getting taken to the cleaners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread