How much do you tip in these situations?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Also do you tip the person that brings you the food at carry out at restaurants? pizza hut for example has a spot for tipping on the receipt. A friend who worked at papa johns said no one ever tips when picking up food.

i dont tip on carry out food but i do on delivery, which is pretty much never. i cant recall the last time i had a pizza delivered lol. i delivered pizza when i was 18 for a few weeks. worst. job. ever. used my own truck and gas and always got stiffed on tips. i deliver a $25 order and get $1 tip if i was lucky. and since its cash, the manager would assume you were tipped 15% and report it as such automatically. so you were basically losing money all the time. let alone my gas and wear and tear on my truck. and it was barely above minimum wage to begin with.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
when i went to europe two years ago it was a nice, refreshing change to not have to tip every where you went to eat lol.

one place that kind of bugs me is vegas. you tip everywhere you look. im surprised you dont tip when you ask a hotel employee where the bathroom is. although my buddy never tips the hotel cleaning staff which bugs me. i always cover it. those poor ladies do a tough job and dont make much im sure. i usually leave about $5 per day.

i usually tip 15-20%. some times more if i feel the server really deserved it or was really friendly. the last time i had really bad service i stiffed the waitress (no pun intended). she had a nasty attitude and worse service; at a bar/restaurant. not my problem if she's having a bad night. and that's why i could not personally do that job. it takes a special personality to take shit all day and keep a smile on.

It is very nice not having to tip all the time.
Though the meal cost is higher to cover that tip...

It's funny when you're at a fine restaurant in Sweden and they want a tip for the $200 meal.
How about no? They already have a pretty OK salary, stop begging me for money!

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I usually get 5$ to bring a car around and 5-10$ for loading luggage. 20$ is not unheard of either, that is usually a daily thing. I valet at a 4 star hotel

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Most of it goes unreported.

Highly false!

That's the 1990's theory that's long gone.

I'll explain.

Easy numbers here, a server does $2,000 in sales, $1,000 in cash, $1,000 on credit cards. Today, all credit card tips are auto declared. Cash tips are up to the server. So let's say credit card tips are $200 because they are awesome. The server will likely have their computer ask them their cash tips before they clock out. They can say zero, thus $200 on $2,000 in sales so 10% average. That's low enough to possibly trigger a red flag with the IRS. Ok, so they say $100 in cash tips, thus $300 on $2,000 or 15%. That's out of the red flag range...BUT, the IRS does studies and knows both cash and credit averages. 15% of sales is fine, but they can audit you, see that for a year you averaged 17.3% credit card tips, but magically attempted to say you only get 9.4% average for cash tippers. The IRS calls your bluff, and they send you a bill for something like 6% of your year cash sales, plus fines and what not.

....it's not worth it. Will you get caught? Maybe not. Plus if varies on the person's age. Some 17 year old at pizza hut doesn't give two ****s what her W2 says. Myself, I can't buy a house or cars if I tried to shave a possible 25% of my yearly income off my W2.

My last table tonight's bill alone was over a grand. All my income is reported.

when i went to europe two years ago it was a nice, refreshing change to not have to tip every where you went to eat lol.

Except in Italy when they toss on a "coperto" or cover charge that can be like $2 or $3. If they don't do that, they might bring you bread which you think is free with the meal, and then you find it on the bill later. :)

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Serious question: In a restaurant, why tip a server so much more to bring me a lobster instead of a burger?

I usually give 20% (as long as I wasn't completely disappointed), but I never understood why the system is based on a percentage of the total cost of food.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Serious question: In a restaurant, why tip a server so much more to bring me a lobster instead of a burger?

Well anytime tipping is discussed, there's awesome exceptions, and "but what if's", but to throw out some generics.....

At Denny's for $6 a plate, the server can have a wrist tattoo, two nose rings, and blue hair. They can greet you with "Yo, what's up?"

At a $15 a plate place, the server is expected to look a little more professional, act a little more professional.

At a $40 a plate place, you bring in your child who's deathly allergic to tree nuts, and has a gluten intolerance, and expect me to make sure they don't die...and help select a nice dry white wine for your wife, and perhaps a full bodied red for yourself.

tl;dr: more $$$ = more training.

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Expensive meals, I do the 20% (if they earn it but they will never get $0). but with the smaller ones, it's always more since I feel cheap if I do 20%. Like the 7.50 example, I would just make it 10 even.

for call in orders, like pizza that I pick up, I don't tip. Why tip the person that took your order at the pizza place (maybe made it) but not tip the guy that made your arby's sandwich? You get paid more than a server and a server does more for me.

If you deliver my pizza, then 20% or more tip will be given.

Blown 89

Established Member
Well anytime tipping is discussed, there's awesome exceptions, and "but what if's", but to throw out some generics.....

At Denny's for $6 a plate, the server can have a wrist tattoo, two nose rings, and blue hair. They can greet you with "Yo, what's up?"

At a $15 a plate place, the server is expected to look a little more professional, act a little more professional.

At a $40 a plate place, you bring in your child who's deathly allergic to tree nuts, and has a gluten intolerance, and expect me to make sure they don't die...and help select a nice dry white wine for your wife, and perhaps a full bodied red for yourself.

You're giving waiters way too much credit, especially at $40 a plate restaurants where they aren't nearly as skilled as they think.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
We went to Logan's Steakhouse tonite for dinner. what a freaking disappointment. that place has gone way down in quality, both in food and service. I was so pissed when we were done that I tipped the idiot 5 bucks on a 35.00 bill (normally would have been 10-15) and left a note on the credit card receipt that he should "get some training in how to wait tables"

Kevins89notch

Established Member
You're giving waiters way too much credit, especially at $40 a plate restaurants where they aren't nearly as skilled as they think.

Based on what you think, or based on the fact I've helped a girl get hired at only a $25 a plate place and know the extensive training she went through. She had to learn every ingredient in every dish, every somewhat common allergy, be able to know what that person can and can't have, and even the possibly contaminants, aka this doesn't have tree nuts, but it is made in a factory that does have tree nuts. Or maybe the fact I know people at $40 a plate places besides myself and know what they go through.

See, but now you're thinking I'm building up how ungodly hard my job is. Nope. It's a cake walk...to me. The family of 16 I had tonight with 2 bottles of wine, the family of 7 with 3 food allergies, the family of 4 who's husband wanted me to surprise the wife with a 20th anniversary treat...just another day for me. But then you have folks bitching about not making $10 an hour, the the prior post is a perfect example of my argument. That person's server could have gotten $15 off just one table if they didn't suck at their job. So it's not so "hard" but it's often times not done well. A fair example. A friend does roofing. That doesn't require years of learning a trade. As long as you can show up, follow directions and not get yourself killed, you can make ok money....but there's a large number of people who say "**** that!" They wouldn't want to deal with the heat, the physical work, being outdoors, etc. They would rather scan groceries at walmart while complaining how little they make.

To each their own, but like I said, servers at more expensive places, with more training will make more money. I'm in no way saying my job is hard, but plenty of people couldn't do it.

Klay

Established Member
I'm not a huge fan of tipping, mainly because the way it is implemented doesn't make sense. Some industries expect tips and others don't even allow it.

A tip should literally be extra money earned for either going above and beyond or being good at your job, thus providing better service.

The whole expectation of earning a tip really has lowered the quality of service across the food industry.

With all that said, I generally tip around 15% - 20% unless someone really screws up or does an overall poor job.

josephcostello

Established Member
If the service is great, I'll tip. If it's not and the waiter has a shitty attitude or something than I won't. Tipping is made out to be a mandatory thing now a days and I think it's ridiculous. You shouldn't be expected to be extra generous. My mom hates when my dad doesn't tip lol.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cj428mach

Established Member

I believe he's referring to ordering a meal at the same restaurant. Example for tipping at the same restaurant.

If you order a $20 meal and pay 20%= $4.00 tip

If you order a $60 meal and pay 20%= $12.00 tip

In theory you're paying 3x's as much for the same amount of "work" thats why percentage doesn't make sense sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread