How much do you tip in these situations?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I base tips on effort, even if you screw up, if you are trying I'll tip you.
I never tip on take out.
These!

Sometimes I do wanna go in the kitchen and greet and tip the cook. They’re a bigger reason why I keep coming back to “x” place. Then again, they’re also the reason why my wallet gets light and why I cant fit comfortably in skinny jeans ahaha

Machdup1

Established Member
I generally tip 20-30% unless the entire experience is just unbelievably terrible. I'm pretty forgiving on service. On smaller bills I'll go all the way up to 100%, the smallest tip I'll generally leave is $5. I figure a server at some lunch joint is only making $2-5/hr, so I'll throw them at least $5 so they're not getting totally screwed on a lunch shift. Take out I always do 10-15%.
This is how I do it. If it is a place I'm a regular, they are serving at one of my business events or if they are bringing it to my house, I over tip. They remember.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I tip depending on service and on how happy the waitress is.

We've got a few spots we hit every week, and I tip well there. Usually 40-50% or more, as they take care of me (half prize appetizers, charge me for every other drink, etc)
so you only tip if they steal for you? no wonder you can afford rhinestoned skinny jeans.

_________
My take is I never tip on take out unless they do something to earn it. then it is not much.

sit down I have a few things that will get them higher than 20-25%:

1. my coke glass never sits empty for longer than about a minute.
2. they put up with my bullshit and maybe throw some back at me, which shows a healthy attitude
3. they come around about 5 minutes after I have started eating to ask how our meal is.

lousy service will get as low as a 10 cent tip on a 30 dollar meal, which i have done very recently. I never leave zero anymore because they will think I forgot it. so I always leave something to let them know I was unhappy with their service.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
bill is $1,500....you guys tip 300? LOL

If your bill is $1,500 you're either at some ultra high end restaurant or you have a massive party. Either way the service probably deserves a $300 tip, unless they totally drop the ball in the latter scenario. I took my wife to the Inn At Little Washington for our anniversary last year. Dinner was $600, I tipped $150. Service was above and beyond what you would even expect at that sort of place.

Rct851

Established Member
I am always impressed at the excellent service at the higher end places. It takes a certain talent and personality for the interactions to feel natural and not like the server is forcing it knowing its expected for a $60+ tip.

I tend to drink about as fast as it can be replaced so your best bet is to not let me wait too long for my next drink and if you did good I'll probably have a looser wallet when it comes tip time.

I always tip cash. If it's a normal place and 15% or so is $7 and I happen to have $ 10 in my wallet I'll just give you all of it.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
You guys are born using the tip system.
What are your thoughts about it?

I've only been in countries that uses tip a handful of times and I dislike that system. I think it's absurd that I should decide what the waiter/waitress earns.

Rct851

Established Member
You guys are born using the tip system.
What are your thoughts about it?

I've only been in countries that uses tip a handful of times and I dislike that system. I think it's absurd that I should decide what the waiter/waitress earns.

If nobody applied to be a waitress under the current system then it would be forced to change accordingly .
I agree it's strange but it's so embedded in how dine in works I wouldn't try to make my statement by snubbing the server. Not that you were implying to do so.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
If nobody applied to be a waitress under the current system then it would be forced to change accordingly .
I agree it's strange but it's so embedded in how dine in works I wouldn't try to make my statement by snubbing the server. Not that you were implying to do so.

Atleast here in Sweden, a waitress actually earns qiote a few dollars. Even at McDonald's.
In Sweden I think I've never tipped.
In China I tipped a few times because I don't want to pay $4 for a great meal, I could atleast pay $10 for it.
And in Korea I tried to tip, but they refused. Every damn time.

I like to tip when it's unexpected.
As soon as it's expected to tip, I feel forced to do so. Kind of what the tipping system does.
But that is probably due to the cause that I'm not used to do so as I've barely ever done it.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
OP, I do the larger tip on the tiny bill. Also, regardless of the amount I usually tip cash and pay the bill with my credit card, I just write cash in the tip spot. I don't tip on walk in take out usually.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Atleast here in Sweden, a waitress actually earns qiote a few dollars. Even at McDonald's.
In China I tipped a few times because I don't want to pay $4 for a great meal, I could atleast pay $10 for it.

As soon as it's expected to tip, I feel forced to do so. Kind of what the tipping system does.
But that is probably due to the cause that I'm not used to do so as I've barely ever done it.

The job requires zero skill. That's why the base pay isn't higher. Many good waiters and waitresses actually make good money from tips. Most of it goes unreported.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I almost always tip 20%. It has to be really bad for me to go down from there, I'm generally pretty easy to satisfy in restaurants.

If I'm ordering takeout from a place like Applebee's, Outback, etc where the wait staff puts the order together I'll tip a couple dollars or so.

I agree with the sentiment that it's kinda crappy that we decide what wait staff makes... but honestly... if all wait staff were paid full wages, you would instantly see a 20%+ increase in meal prices.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

when i went to europe two years ago it was a nice, refreshing change to not have to tip every where you went to eat lol.

one place that kind of bugs me is vegas. you tip everywhere you look. im surprised you dont tip when you ask a hotel employee where the bathroom is. although my buddy never tips the hotel cleaning staff which bugs me. i always cover it. those poor ladies do a tough job and dont make much im sure. i usually leave about $5 per day.

i usually tip 15-20%. some times more if i feel the server really deserved it or was really friendly. the last time i had really bad service i stiffed the waitress (no pun intended). she had a nasty attitude and worse service; at a bar/restaurant. not my problem if she's having a bad night. and that's why i could not personally do that job. it takes a special personality to take shit all day and keep a smile on.

Users who are viewing this thread