How many were concerned with a tune for just a CAI & Catback?

How many were concerned with a tune for just a CAI & Catback?

• Yup, Concerned?

Votes: 79 20.4%
  • NO, NOT Concerned?

Votes: 309 79.6%

• Total voters

GTtoSVT

Established Member
I picked up 31rwhp with my Borla Stinger Catback and K&N FIPk2 and i didnt disconnect the battery. I got the parts put on and started it and put it right on the dyno. Something doesnt sound right with yours..

Brian

2003 Black Cobra Coupe

04torchred

Established Member
GTtoSVT said:
I picked up 31rwhp with my Borla Stinger Catback and K&N FIPk2 and i didnt disconnect the battery. I got the parts put on and started it and put it right on the dyno. Something doesnt sound right with yours..

Brian

2003 Black Cobra Coupe

Are you suppose to disconnect the negative terminal? I never did with my JLT CAI when I installed it.

TBSHOP

Established Member
No tune. I have the k&n fipk and the bassani cat back.
still pig rich.
404 rwhp
400 rwtq

Last edited:

YELL03

Established Member
I voted not concerned, but.....

Here is some info you might like -

My car with just a 10" Powerstack cai and SLP LM catback made 405rwhp/380rwtq SAE

I added the xcal2 canned tune and the result was:
418rwhp/396rwtq SAE

The a/f was safe both ways, but a gain of 13rwhp and 16rwtq is not bad for $379.

The only reason I did it was because I needed the xcal2 for later in the week when I added my 2.8 pulley, but it was good info.

Another thing:

With the powerstack cai, the maf is left in the stock 10:00 position, Steeda and K&N cai's move the maf to the 12:00 position which leans it out a tad to make power, but not enough to need a tune IMHO - it is just cheating by those companies to make their product seem like it is better than it is untuned.

After the 2.8 pulley and a dyno-tune power went to 440rwhp/478rwtq SAE

Hope this helps,

Howard

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
BigZach said:
Waste of money.
+1, i would do a tune anyway even though you dont really need it, and a custom tune at that. If you were doing o/r midpipe then i would do a programmer to shut off the Check engine light, the hell with MID eliminators some of those suck and they go out or break. just my opinion

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
DR. WU 2000 said:
I think you would be able to get away without a tune if you just did CAI and exhaust, but a couple pulls on the dyno to check A/F wouldn't be a bad idea. I would get a custom tune just to get the most out of the car anayway, James @ RWTD did mine on the Predator. :rockon: I think most cars will adjust to the new mods after a couple driving cycles with out a custom tune.:burnout:

+1 custom tune w/ your programmer! your car will run way better and better MPG

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
i was concerned and and i was right, i was way lean up top, lucky i did not blow my motor, i had only the steeda CAI and made 408rwhp and 374rwtq but after 5700rpms the a/f went from 12:1 to like 15:1..!!!!!!!!!check yours

Users who are viewing this thread