How are you guys cleaning your engine?

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
So I recently picked up a 2004 Torch Red cobra. The car has been sitting in a garage for the past year and the engine was completely dirty. Had all kinds of dust, dirt, grime etc. Previous owner was a 59 year old guy and basically told me he never opened the hood LOL.

Long story short, I washed the motor, degreased everything and started really waxing and cleaning everything to look new again. Well I took the car for a ride the other day and realized right away it had a misfire. Ran back home and hooked my snap on scanner up to it and explained it was cylinder 4. Pulled the coil pack out, and it was soaking wet. Now I only used the mist option on my hose, but still managed to soak a coil apparently....I've always washed my vehicles engines, and this is a first for me messing something up.

So I was just curious on how some of you guys clean your motors? Be careful with the hose, as I made a mistake LOL.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you take the coil cover off, there should be a rubber seal on the under side, make sure its in place and the harness for the coils is placed correctly. It should have a short thick section that along with the gasket on the cover will help seal it up

MysticRob

Established Member
I just use Simple Green and a rag, but mines never been very dirty.

Same here, or some industrial strength orange smelling stuff that burns a bit if left on the skin for a couple minutes. I also use a bunch of small scrub brushes to get difficult-to-clean areas. Nothing that will screw up the paint or plastic parts.

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
I intentionally spray some water through the hood vents while I'm washing it and use an air hose and the damp microfiber towel that I used on the car to dry and clean any dirt there might be on the engine. But mine was always fairly clean with me being the original owner.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Here is the results from my old Cobra which had a very dirty engine bay when I got it.

2w2396r.jpg

Here is after I used some Black Magic engine cleaner that someone on here suggested and was pleased with the results.

34zajvn.jpg

14ak3d2.jpg

14qnhj.jpg

Took maybe 20-30 mins with a garden hose, tooth brush to help break up the grime and rag to dry up the extra water

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Simple Green on a cool engine, power spray off being careful not to hit anything electrical with a direct blast, drive home and use an electric leaf blower to finish drying. Spray on a coating of Armor All or related protectant, let sit a few hours and buff off what puddles up.

Your engine will look like new and the whole cleaning process takes 10-15 minutes at best.

Rambro

Established Member
First I cover the battery, fuse box, air filter, and the back of the cop covers with plastic bags. Then I spray a mist of cold water on a cold engine, followed by some deluted simple green. Then i rinse and dry with compressed air an spray CD2 detailer and drive for 10 min. Looks fantastic afterwards.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
I really like the Zep degreasers. I use Fast 505 for really heavy degreasing. It's a commercial kitchen degreaser so it literally melts the caked on grease. It also melts the first few layers of skin.

For maintenance cleaning I use Zep Citrus degreaser. Do nor rely on the seals for the coil covers. It is ok to get water in there, just make it a habit to blow the water out of the hole with compressed air.

svtaddict

Established Member
Be very careful with any other cleaner than simple green.Alot of those industrial degreasers will eat up your polished aluminum and dull it and also discolored the rest. Even eat the paint on the valve covers.

speedoflife

Established Member
I've gotten a coil pack wet as well don't feel bad. That stupid rubber gasket has gotten pushed out of track. And that's not a dirty engine bay.
IMG_1922.jpg

Don't worry I fixed it.
image-3.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^^^^^ Wow, what a dramatic before and after! Nice detailing/cleaning work. (A lot of very good engine bay cleaning advice in this thread by the way.) :thumbsup:

speedoflife

Established Member
^^^^^ Wow, what a dramatic before and after! Nice detailing/cleaning work. (A lot of very good engine bay cleaning advice in this thread by the way.) :thumbsup:

Thanks!
I just used simple green (like everyone else) with A LOT of time, rags, and brushes. Time being the main factor. If you want it clean, you need to touch every part and place in the engine bay. I've used some of the aerosol dressings but they just are too sticky. I just use Chemical Guys Silk Shine on all of my plastic. Not sticky at all and cleans off super easily cause it's water based.

I've also tried to avoid the hose at all under the hood. Just get a lot of rags and some rubber gloves and an afternoon.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I find it comical that people think you can take a hose to an engine. I don't even wash my motorcycles with a hose, they're all wiped with a misting cleaner and engines should be treated the same.

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
Be very careful with any other cleaner than simple green.Alot of those industrial degreasers will eat up your polished aluminum and dull it and also discolored the rest. Even eat the paint on the valve covers.

yea I always avoided Superclean and Greased lightning for this reason. The acid in them does a number on aluminum. Ive always favored Simple Green.

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
There's nothing wrong with taking a hose to an engine as long as you use moderate water. Drenching a motor will definitely leave problems. Only reason I started this thread was because I only used a mist from my hose and simple green and it fouled a coil. I've had over 30 vehicles I've cleaned this way and never had a problem until this. I don't care what "misting" cleaner your using, if you have a filthy engine bay (like mine was) there is no way around using some water...

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
I've gotten a coil pack wet as well don't feel bad. That stupid rubber gasket has gotten pushed out of track. And that's not a dirty engine bay.
IMG_1922.jpg

Don't worry I fixed it.
image-3.jpg

That came out great! mine looked a tad worse then yours lets put it that way!

87poopstang

Established Member
this was mine when it got delivered from missouri that a 48yr old man never looked under the hood

1307069796467_zpso1w83rdk.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread