How are you guys cleaning your engine?

87poopstang

Established Member
little simple green and elbow grease an you would never know there was a polished whipple under there lol...where in south nj are you? alway looking for another cobra down here. really lonely

IMG_20140827_164944_107_zpshsvwvwlf.jpg

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Funny, I used to powerwash the engine on my Grand National just bagging the filter and never had an issue. Would not do it on the Cobra tho.

Rob_Stylez

Established Member
I find it comical that people think you can take a hose to an engine. I don't even wash my motorcycles with a hose, they're all wiped with a misting cleaner and engines should be treated the same.

So I guess we could never drive in rain? Lol dude theres nothing wrong with a little bit of water especially from a hose, just like everyone here is saying just dont drench or 'submerge' it and youll be fine.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
The gasket on the backside of the coil covers has a little gap if I'm not mistaken. You could probably seal it more if you wanted to.

As for cleaning, I have microfibers and soft brushes for the engine bay. I typically start the engine for a couple minutes (slightly warming it NOT hot) then shoot it with a weak spray of water. I then spray it down with a simple green dilution and close the hood for about 5 minutes. This dwell time really does all the work... open it back up and go at cleaning with brushes and microfibers, light rinse avoiding pressure and direct spray on critical bits. Then I hit all the plastic and rubber with ERV, polish the shiny bits, and throw some quick wax in a few select spots.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I find it comical that people think you can take a hose to an engine. I don't even wash my motorcycles with a hose, they're all wiped with a misting cleaner and engines should be treated the same.

Sure, directly hosing a car is bad. But if you have an adjustable nozzle and set it to a weak spray it should be coming out similar to a constant stream from a misting spray bottle.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I just use STP's Son of A Gun and Meguire's Ultimate Quick Detailer and Meguire's Ultimate Quick Spray Wax for the fenders. To get to the hard to reach places I use Q-Tips for the small areas and one of the big long green synthetic fiber cleaning brushes for in, around and behind the supercharger and motor.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Some degreaser and I use the power washer to clean the engine. Just like anything use common sense where you point the wand.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Lol -- despite knowing better, I use dawn dish detergent, a wash mit, and a water hose when it's really bad. I've done this on each of my cars at least 20 times. The key is soap it all up, close the hood, and find a boat ramp with the right angle (not too steep so you can't back up the ramp). Then you just drive until the front end of the car is submerged roughly to the cowl area. Any lake silt can be hosed off with a low pressure water hose, being careful to avoid spraying the alternator or coil pack covers.

I also use CD2 engine detailer, which has been banned as a result of tree hugging hippies (thanks Obama).

In between, I'll wipe stuff off with spray wax.

Cobra:
14645900111_069368b8d8_o_zpsfcb2274e.jpg

Nova (can't really tell I did any good here, but trust me, this thing was janky):
IMG_08281_zps3e16d60c.jpg

GT:
P1010066_zps28c5d2c2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread