HOTROD Reports seeing 5.4 SC in 05 Mustang (Cobra Mule)

TheOne™

Established Member
how about carroll shelby doin some moddin on the new mustang models? do not know where i got these(these pics are probably made on computer)
but i've heard that he wants to do a model for the new mustang.

eleb4.jpg

elef4.jpg

and what about the concept that was on autoshows? with some 400hp on the same 4.6 supercharged(or the 5.4¿? S/C'ed). i know that was just a concept, but who knows.

Formula51

Established Member
From what I have seen of the GT pricing it is not too far off the GTO. The 05' Goat looks amazing and will have larger wheels and tires, better brakes and the styling cues the public has demanded. Did I forget to mention the LS2 with 400hp!

Check this out:

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=27428&page=3&pp=15

And as always the 5th Generation Camaro suspected 07 or 08' will compete with the Mustang on all levels, except the Cobra. The Cobra is now in Vette/Viper territory, unless they go NA, Ford cant hang with those big boys NA, not a typical chevy guy comment, but the truth. Also true that the Cobra as in 04' will be close in straight line performance, but does not have a chance of matching the Vette in handling, seriously, best you can hope for is close.

As usual the Camaro will have more horespower than the Mustang and will handle better thanks to A-arm front suspension and not the dated mcpherson strut Mustang suspension. Yall are so excited to finally handle as good as an 89' Iroc Z or 93' Z28. Its humurous.

Dont expect the Camaro to have anyless horsepower than what ever the GTO has in 07/08'! IRS is very likely.

BUT Mustang guys are diehard fans and yall kept your car alive by buying it no matter how slow or dated it was. I wish the Chevy guys did the same thing.:nonono:

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Originally posted by TheOne™
how about carroll shelby doin some moddin on the new mustang models? do not know where i got these(these pics are probably made on computer)

TheOne™, this was a photoshop (granted, a very good one) that was originally posted on brad Barnett's Mustang site:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index

Some cool 'shops on that site.
From everything I've heard, the new SVT mustang will look alot like the show concept, but with alot more power.

Hunter6

Established Member
Originally posted by Formula51
From what I have seen of the GT pricing it is not too far off the GTO. The 05' Goat looks amazing and will have larger wheels and tires, better brakes and the styling cues the public has demanded. Did I forget to mention the LS2 with 400hp!

Check this out:

And as always the 5th Generation Camaro suspected 07 or 08' will compete with the Mustang on all levels, except the Cobra. The Cobra is now in Vette/Viper territory, unless they go NA, Ford cant hang with those big boys NA, not a typical chevy guy comment, but the truth. Also true that the Cobra as in 04' will be close in straight line performance, but does not have a chance of matching the Vette in handling, seriously, best you can hope for is close.

As usual the Camaro will have more horespower than the Mustang and will handle better thanks to A-arm front suspension and not the dated mcpherson strut Mustang suspension. Yall are so excited to finally handle as good as an 89' Iroc Z or 93' Z28. Its humurous.

Dont expect the Camaro to have anyless horsepower than what ever the GTO has in 07/08'! IRS is very likely.

BUT Mustang guys are diehard fans and yall kept your car alive by buying it no matter how slow or dated it was. I wish the Chevy guys did the same thing.:nonono:

Interesting comments. I'm not sure that the "handle as good as an 89 Iroc" statement is true but ...whatever. I owned a 99 SS and an 03 Cobra. I loved both cars but....the Cobra did handle better.

On another note I made a thread for Cobra and other muscle car spy pics/concepts/etc in this forum. Post them as you see them.

Keep the new muscle car info coming!

djt81185

Established Member

Check this out:

I'm not nor have i ever been impressed with the gto/monaro's looks. You do realize the neon won the scca championship for a few years with a "dated" macperson setup...also the new m5 uses a strut setup up front with a multilink in the rear...like a cobra...a properly set up "dated system" will smoke a mediocre "advanced" system any day of the week...

Formula51

Established Member
Interesting comments. I'm not sure that the "handle as good as an 89 Iroc" statement is true but ...whatever. I owned a 99 SS and an 03 Cobra. I loved both cars but....the Cobra did handle better.

On another note I made a thread for Cobra and other muscle car spy pics/concepts/etc in this forum. Post them as you see them.

Keep the new muscle car info coming!

You may have owned them and may have FELT that the Cobra handled better, but it didnt. However, it was about equal. Look up slalom times and skip pad times and remember the difference in tire size and technology between 03 and 89/93 when you are doing so.

A front A-arm suspension is superior to mcpherson struts, regardless. Ask any SCCA racer and they will tell you so. Doesnt mean mcpherson strut cant be good and compete, but one has way more potential than the other. And since we are talking about the Cobra and Vette, that potential will undoubtedly be exercised.

Now you just need to figure out how to drop 400-500lbs of a 5.4 SC Cobra to get it down in the neighborhood of the C6 ZO6.

Formula51

Established Member
I'm not nor have i ever been impressed with the gto/monaro's looks. You do realize the neon won the scca championship for a few years with a "dated" macperson setup...also the new m5 uses a strut setup up front with a multilink in the rear...like a cobra...a properly set up "dated system" will smoke a mediocre "advanced" system any day of the week...

We are talking about a Cobra that will compete with the Vette/Viper and exotics, nothing about the suspension on those cars is "mediocre". Bring a properly setup dated system and you will go home with your head hung in shame against those boys. Horsepower isnt everything guys.

Hunter6

Established Member
You may have owned them and may have FELT that the Cobra handled better, but it didnt. However, it was about equal. Look up slalom times and skip pad times and remember the difference in tire size and technology between 03 and 89/93 when you are doing so.

Yes it did. I had both long enough to know. I have at leat one magazine article at the house that says an 03 Cobra laps faster than an 02 Camaro. I'm not claiming the Cobra's handling is vastly superior to the Camaro's but it not lagging behind by any stretch of the imagination.

Formula51

Established Member
I have an article that says a Subaru STi runs the 1/4 Mile faster than a 03/04' Cobra. Doesnt mean this is generally true, anything is possible when a human (driver) is involved. Need to look at multiple multiple non-biased articles. A 92' Iroc Z had skid pad numbers of 0.92g's on tire technology over 10 years old! Now skid pad numbers arent everything, a Honda S2000 also skid pads around 0.91-0.92g's, but is a more nimble car than either. However, skid pad numbers are a good way to judge what the average driver will "feel" is a better handling car, that and body roll.

The Iroc Z had 245/50's on 16" rims, while the Cobra manages 0.91g's with 275/45's on 17" or 18" rims???

Remember what I said about tire size and technology. Put some 2003 275/45's on a 92' Iroc Z and it would be pretty darn incredible.

The point is that Ford is still using dated technology, even their "first completely new Mustang since 1979" is still using dated technology. Regardless of how it performs dont you want to see your car company moving forward and breaking new ground?

Hunter6

Established Member
So...who has more info on the new 07 Cobra or other upcoming muscle cars? It was mentioned before that the 07 Cobra is meant to be competition for the new vette and viper. How is this going to happen without a sharp increase in cost? I am having serious doubts that a 3600lb+ Cobra can do that. And for those that know, are we looking at a more radical departure from the standard GT in the next Cobra? Are we going to have the option of the glass top like the concept? Will the engine be all aluminum? Will the rear lights of the Cobra look like the concept and GTR? Some of you guys know. Give us some more goodies of information!

:beer:

Formula51

Established Member
You are probably looking at a Cobra that will share little more than exterior resemblance to the GT. It will have to be a LOT lighter, 500hp, and a completely new suspension to compete with the new Z06. That should give you a pretty good idea. And YES, it will cost a LOT!

cobra1

Established Member
I bet that the new cobra will probably weigh in around 3500 pounds. It will have a 500+ hp 5.4L V8 and will be a Z06/Viper competitor.

Formula51

Established Member
Nope, sorry. Cant do it at 3500lbs. New Z06 will be right around 3000lbs. 500lbs is roughly 5 tenths in the quarter so gearing and traction aside it would need 550hp to run even in the 1/4 mile. And it will not compete in any other category, braking, slalom, skid pad, etc with 500 more lbs. It will have to weigh 3200lbs to seriously compete in my opinion. Probably less to win.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Nope, sorry. Cant do it at 3500lbs. New Z06 will be right around 3000lbs. 500lbs is roughly 5 tenths in the quarter so gearing and traction aside it would need 550hp to run even in the 1/4 mile. And it will not compete in any other category, braking, slalom, skid pad, etc with 500 more lbs. It will have to weigh 3200lbs to seriously compete in my opinion. Probably less to win.

No one here honestly thinks the 07 Cobra is going to be marketed to compete w/ a C6 Z0Sucks.
It's going to be a $60,000 car. A Mustang Cobra w/ 4 to 8k in production will not cost anywhere near that.

And are you telling me, that a old IROC out handles a Cobra, :lol: your crazy.
It's kind of funny how the 03 Cobra out ran and out handled the C5 in countless tests. If that is the case, the C5 must really suck much more than I thought it did for 43K.
A 93 Lightning pulled .88 G's on the skid pad, and a SVT Contour pulled .90 G's, what does that prove ? Not a god damn thing.
Im sure Im not the only one here who would like you to keep your non-Ford knowledge to yourself.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
The Mustang Cobra will never compete with a Z06 Vette. It never has and never will. You are comparing apples to oranges. The Mustang Cobra is a 4 seat muscle car, not a true purpose built sport car like the Vette. Just look at the price differance, they are two different cars. If you want to compare true sports cars, why not compare the Ford GT or Viper with the Vette. The Mustang's competition has always been the camaro & firebird. Since GM is no longer producing these, the nearest competitor is the gto. Cobras and Mach 1s can spank these cars with ease. When and if the next camaro comes out, it will become the Mustang's main competitor again. I've heard & read that these cars might have 350-400 hp. That's not nearly enough to keep up with the next generation 500 hp Cobra. And don't play the supercharger card B.S. It's true that the Cobra has a S.C., but GM's engines have way more cubes.

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Originally posted by BEATNGU
No one here honestly thinks the 07 Cobra is going to be marketed to compete w/ a C6 Z0Sucks.
It's going to be a $60,000 car. A Mustang Cobra w/ 4 to 8k in production will not cost anywhere near that.

And are you telling me, that a old IROC out handles a Cobra, :lol: your crazy.
It's kind of funny how the 03 Cobra out ran and out handled the C5 in countless tests. If that is the case, the C5 must really suck much more than I thought it did for 43K.
A 93 Lightning pulled .88 G's on the skid pad, and a SVT Contour pulled .90 G's, what does that prove ? Not a god damn thing.
Im sure Im not the only one here who would like you to keep your non-Ford knowledge to yourself.

I couldn't have said it better BEATNGU :rockon:

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
A 03 Cobra did not out handle a C5, thats just Ford talk. Out run it, yes. Out handle it, now I should be the one laughing. I was telling you an old Iroc is close to the handling of a Cobra and it is over 10 years older. Read my arguments, provide facts to prove otherwise instead of smilies. I also said skid pads arent everything. Many people will argue that a 3rd gen Camaro handles better than a 4th gen, but this is just an argument and has been pretty well proven wrong. Remember also when comparing many handling tests, especially track times, horsepower is a HUGE factor and we all know the old Iroc was a turtle in comparison to the Cobra.

You guys need to do some more reading. The new Cobra IS to compete with the Z06. Much of your Ford faithful will tell you the same. What you see as the Mustang Cobra in 03/04 is no more and will never be again. The Cobra is going to the next level in performance and price. The Cobra will be a purpose built car as the ZO6 is and it will very possibly be a two seater. The Cobra will compete with atleast the C6 and it is said the ZO6. As soon as you accept this you can start surmising how, and how MUCH it will cost.

Mach1's dont spank GTO's with ease (what stupidity). The two cars are neck and neck, its a drivers race all the way.

The next GTO will compete with the Mach1's and other higher end Mustangs, eventhough they are marketed at different crowds. It will make for some very fun comparisons though.

Users who are viewing this thread