HOTROD Reports seeing 5.4 SC in 05 Mustang (Cobra Mule)

Hunter6

Established Member
For what it's worth, page 26 of the latest HOTROD magazine has a little blurb about the 07 Cobra. They claim to have seen Ford stuffing a 5.4 SC (ala Ford GT) engine in their 05 mule. T-56 and IRS as well. Check it out. By the way...this issue was a good one overall.

20-COBRA-03

Banned
cobra.jpg
thats an artists rendition of it. i like it:thumbsup:

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Artist's rendition of what? Not flaming, but they saw a mule. Mules are ugly. They show a drawing of a complete car. They do this all the time. I doubt it. :bored:

Anyways, I like it, but lose the wing and give me a duck tail-- like the 60's. Like the side scoops, and make the nose a little more like the concept.:bowdown:

Hunter6

Established Member
The picture is nice to have but of course it is only an artist's rendition. I think the significance of the article is that it serves to bolster the arguement of a 5.4SC engine over the V10 for the next SVT Mustang. Thoughts?

cobra1

Established Member
The article definitely makes a point that the next engine will be the supercharged 5.4 L V8 with 500-525hp. The best part of the article though was when they mentioned that it will be a C6 Z06/Viper competetor.

Hunter6

Established Member
I must admit that I was hoping for a solid rear axle to keep weight down and help with traction. With the Mustang GT at already 3450lbs, the added weight of the 5.4SC and IRS could make it a pig if they are not careful.

AzDropTop

Established Member
The new stang is nice in stock form, but man the possibilities are endless as to how sweet it can be. Hope they get the cobra right no matter what's under the hood.

cobra1

Established Member
John Coletti has already announced that weight would be a major issue with the next generation SVTs. I bet it will probably weigh around 3600 pounds. Svt will take some of the extra pork out.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter6
The picture is nice to have but of course it is only an artist's rendition. I think the significance of the article is that it serves to bolster the arguement of a 5.4SC engine over the V10 for the next SVT Mustang. Thoughts?

Agreed. I like the idea of a 5.4 blown. They can help the weight (for handling) with spring rates, ride height, etc., but accelleration would be hurt (we all know that). My guess would be a stout 3,600 lbs. A little too heavy for my likes. The '04 Viper weighs a little over 3,400 lbs. All I know is that I hope it's not going to be too pricey. Low $40k is OK. That alows an extra $10k over a loaded GT plus an extra few $$$k for profit.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
It will not have 500 hp, it most likely will have just over 400. Most likely due to the fact they will make sure the next cobra R is the fast car in the line up. I would love to see a 5.4 N/A car though.

Hunter6

Established Member
I believe they could save weight, and cost, by keeping the same rear axel as the GT (maybe just beefed up a little). Another way to save weight would be to give us the aluminum engine. I'm not sure if either will happen.

Cobra12Blown

The new 2006 Cobra will be a terminator in its on words. I talked with a svt salesman about the 06 when I bought my 03 Cobra and he said there are possibilities and rumors of a 5.4 SC 500 horsepower motor. I think no matter what becomes of the next cobra it will surely be a monster.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter6
I believe they could save weight, and cost, by keeping the same rear axel as the GT (maybe just beefed up a little). Another way to save weight would be to give us the aluminum engine. I'm not sure if either will happen.

Nope. Think IRS, not a live axle. Better handling. Think smaller stuff for most of the rest...

fatcobra

Established Member
I say make the next cobra with the 5.0 cammer motor, it already has 440 hp in concept form, in 3 years they can make it sing to 500 and work out any reliablity issues with it. Although I like the superchargers on the 03-04s (I bought one so I must like it) I would really like for them to go back NA on the next one, maybe do a SC version for the next R. Heres just hoping that the new one SVT Cobra really rocks, and between now and then maybe Shelbys version won't be to bad either.

steeljack

Established Member
They shouldn't even make another Cobra R. Just put the performance in the regular cobra and charge around the $40-45k range for coupe and convertible, instead of charging $65,000 for 300-500 cars.

tb2001

CoBrAbOy
Established Member
FOG LIGHTS?

:nono: LET ME START OFF BY SAYING I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH GT'S. I HOPE THE REAL DEAL WILL BE A LITTLE BETTER THAN THAT. I HOPE FOR THE CHUNK YOU PUT DOWN TO GET ONE THEY CARRY ON THE TRADITION OF FOG LIGHTS IN THE BUMPER. IF THEY DON'T IT WILL LOOK JUST LIKE A GT. I CAN ALWAYS TELL FROM A MILE AWAY IF I AM SEEING A COBRA OR NOT FROM THE FRONT BUMPER 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 UNLESS THEY HAVE SWITCHED IT. I HAVE A 2001 TRUE BLUE COBRA AND AS SOON AS I SAW THEY WERE GIVING THE NEW (2003-2004) GT'S THE SAME RIMS I HAD TO PUT DOWN THE BUCKS TO GET THE 03 CHROME COBRA WHEELS. BUT HEY THE REST OF THE CAR LOOKS GREAT.

jshen

Established Member
My .02 worth

I don't want to flame anyone! However, if I had to guess on Ford, I would say that any future GT-R would be N/A and strictly "racing" type car like the last. Future buyer friendly SVTs will depend on Ford to make sure the Cobra/SVT or whatever they call it...outperforms the others! To that end, they have only the 4.6 and 5.4 to do do that. The V-10 is totallly out of the question for cost reasons and having gleaned through recent SVT magazines..I get the feeling there will be a SC 5.4. Think about it! To keep up with GM, their GTO and Vette.......Ford set the benchmark at ~400hp...now GM is setting it at ~500 hp for the hot vette...That's still a far cry from the [outta my price range] $140,000 GT Ford with 560 hp! With Ford's determination to do so my guess is that for 2006 they will up the anty...to match the Vette! Whether there is a reduction of weight or not...the hp has got to increase or Ford will be like GM [2003 when they had nothing to present as competition] or be left on the sidelines. [Dropping the F-body was the most stupid decision Gm could have made.] Thinking of the 60's...only the insurance rates put a halt to muscle cars..........

I think the best is yet to come........Horsepower Rules!

:lol:

Last edited:

Hunter6

Established Member
An IRS may mean smoother ride...but it doesn't mean the handling will be that much better to make up for the weight gain (ala 03/04 Cobra). More HP is good. I would like to see weight addressed. I would rather have an aluminum engine with a little less HP. I would rather have a 4link (or modified 3 link) solid than IRS. Most street "games" are in a straight line anyway. 3600lbs is too heavy! Gees, 3450 is pushing it. I say let us have the HP...but on a diet! America is too fat!

Users who are viewing this thread