Honor Student punished for driving drunk friend home from party....

20redfire03

Established Member
I think the school is full of shit. Even though my parents said if I was drunk and needed a ride I could call I never did, for one I didnt really drink in HS and two I'd rather call a friend to avoid being drunk in front of my parents. Hell I'm sure I picked up friends a time or two from parties when they were drunk to keep them off the road, I felt it was the responsible thing to do.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
The problem is school boards and other officials putting "NO TOLERANCE" rules in place without allowing any common sense exceptions.

And it's not just school systems. many employers , city, county, and state governments do the same thing.

This results in the average citizen thinking "all these rules are stupid, why obey any at all" Not a good thing for a society built on laws.

This ^ :nonono:

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member

So using your logic, she should be punished because her friends were drunk and at an underage party, even though she was doing the right thing by keeping them off the road?

Brilliant logic right there. How is that at all fair?

You're at an illegal street race. You can get in trouble for being there. Your car breaks down. Now you're a sitting duck. You call your buddy. He knows what he's driving into. He pulls up at the spot, just as 4 cops swarm the area. Yeah, he's getting a ticket for attending. HE'S THERE!

The difference here is that you participating in a street race isn't the *right* thing to do. This girl drove home her drunk friends which is the *right* thing to do and should be commended. Instead, we're punishing her. You also know you shouldn't be at a street race. I'm sure this girl had no heavenly idea that she would be punished because of some nonsensical zero tolerance policy run amok.

Call their parents? Man, you must have had less than zero friends in HS.

:rolling:

I was thinking the same thing. Anyone that thinks punishing this girl is a good idea probably spent the duration of their high school years playing video games in mom's basement during the weekends instead of going out.

Coiled03

Established Member
Did you overlook where I said it's BS she's in trouble? I however can clearly see, a lot better than her parents, WHY she got in trouble.

I'll put it in car terms. You're at an illegal street race. You can get in trouble for being there. Your car breaks down. Now you're a sitting duck. You call your buddy. He knows what he's driving into. He pulls up at the spot, just as 4 cops swarm the area. Yeah, he's getting a ticket for attending. HE'S THERE!

And if your buddy gets a ticket, that's just as ****ing stupid as this situation. You can put it in whatever terms you want. Punishing people for doing the RIGHT thing is beyond stupid, no matter what the rule says.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
And if your buddy gets a ticket, that's just as ****ing stupid as this situation. You can put it in whatever terms you want. Punishing people for doing the RIGHT thing is beyond stupid, no matter what the rule says.

But you can't prove they were doing the "RIGHT thing."

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
So what if the drunk girl had driven because her friend told her she couldn't come pick her up for fear of getting in trouble and she ended up killing somebody. Then the story would be sober girl refused to pick drunk friend up and now somebody is dead. Then what would the MADD president say and what would the school have said? I bet they would be singing a different tune.

01stallion

ford guy
Established Member
This!! Wasn't her responsibility. Call an adult. Out of reasons understandable she chose to drive, however there were alternatives she could have taken and not gotten in trouble. It may have hurt her social rep, but no tickets or marks on her name.

They're called school directories. Yes I have one for each of my children's schools.

Lay off the pot dude, you got some ****ed up logic

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Pretty sure a police officer testified to her sobriety. Is that enough proof for you?

No one is saying she was drunk. I'm pretty sure those HS policies regard being around drinking, aka being at any party. That's why I was relating it to street racing. Thinking back to a place I use to frequent (in Mexico of course) if I friend wanted me to pick him up there, I could easily tell him to walk 2 blocks to a gas station. I could pick him up, and nothing would happen. If I went to the specific spot, and officers rolled in, I would be ****ed.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
No one is saying she was drunk. I'm pretty sure those HS policies regard being around drinking, aka being at any party. That's why I was relating it to street racing. Thinking back to a place I use to frequent (in Mexico of course) if I friend wanted me to pick him up there, I could easily tell him to walk 2 blocks to a gas station. I could pick him up, and nothing would happen. If I went to the specific spot, and officers rolled in, I would be ****ed.

Since when is it illegal to attend parties?

IMO its bullshit the schools are doing these sorts of policies that have zero real world backing. "Zero tolerance to partying/drinking"? Cmon, the only shitty people making these sorts of rules up are the ones that when they were in HS, were loners that stayed home friday and saturday nights by themselves because they were likely socially ackward and/or just ****ing retarded.

Coiled03

Established Member

1) Having a rule against parties, drinking, or drinking at parties is stupid. They're HS students. They're not going to listen to any rule that says that, and to expect them to is stupid. Besides, there are already LAWS - not school policies - that address underage drinking.

2) Being in the presence of wrongdoing is not wrongdoing in and of itself.

Yes, she could've avoided the situation. That changes nothing about the fact that she shouldn't be punished for what she DID do.

Last edited:

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
Lay off the pot dude, you got some ****ed up logic

Lay off the alcohol dude, it's ****ing up your logic.

Medical-Marijuana-Users-vs.-Alcohol-Users.png

Last edited:

slidai

Established Member
So can I watch an illegal street race and tell the cops, "I wasn't racing!"

While I agree it's BS she's in trouble, it's easy logic to see. An underaged party got busted, cops rounded up the names of everyone and handed them to the school. She had good intentions, just horrible timing.

Edit: to further point out the issue at hand, she could have said, "I don't want to to be there if the cops show, walk down the block and I'll pick you up there." Problem solved.

Exactly. They didn't suspend her for driving the girl home. They suspended her because she was at a party with underage drinking and drugs. Sober or not. Zero tolerance is zero tolerance. Period. Now, all people have to say is "I wasn't drinking" and they are free from punishment? Obviously she is a smart kid. She knows what zero tolerance means. Should have been smarter about it.

And for the record, I think the school could have quietly let her slide but, I see where they are coming from.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Exactly. They didn't suspend her for driving the girl home. They suspended her because she was at a party with underage drinking and drugs. Sober or not. Zero tolerance is zero tolerance. Period. Now, all people have to say is "I wasn't drinking" and they are free from punishment? Obviously she is a smart kid. She knows what zero tolerance means. Should have been smarter about it.

And for the record, I think the school could have quietly let her slide but, I see where they are coming from.

Allowing schools to have such rules and regulations is ****ing ridiculous.

This is whats wrong with this country. Id laugh at my kid's school if they had zero tolerance policies and did this shit. Ill tell my kids the same thing my parents told me, its fine to do that stuff, just dont be stupid about it. Dont drive drunk/stoned, etc.

I dont need a school telling my kids how to grow up lame. Then again, I guess thats the standard with this generation of parents is to allow the schools to raise their kids.

Planter

Banned
Allowing schools to have such rules and regulations is ****ing ridiculous.

This is whats wrong with this country. Id laugh at my kid's school if they had zero tolerance policies and did this shit. Ill tell my kids the same thing my parents told me, its fine to do that stuff, just dont be stupid about it. Dont drive drunk/stoned, etc.

I dont need a school telling my kids how to grow up lame. Then again, I guess thats the standard with this generation of parents is to allow the schools to raise their kids.

not only that but it didnt happen on school property or the bus stop and was not a school sponsered event, so the school district has zero jurisdiction.

Users who are viewing this thread