Home Theater Build

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
id definitely say you smashed that budget LOL. i read your product list and thought "finally, someone not trying to build a walmart theater room!"

I will still need to build a stage around the screen and then get wall absorbers too. But those will have to wait for now.

Thanks for the kind words on my selections. Everything is different for everyone, I am fortunate that I can spend this amount of cash after buying a 2014 Shelby this year too :uh oh:

My neighbor has a HUGE home theater room that he built with the house. The screen is curved, and IMAX capable. I'm sure when he comes up and sees my room he'll chuckle.

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Slow going this weekend as I had to pull power up from the basement, and into the attic.

photo5a_zps829ec2b4.gif

photo4a_zps4fe9c8d5.gif

photo3a_zps1e378f28.gif

photo2a_zps34ee3d47.gif

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
JL is nice but way overpriced. OP are you familiar with PSA subs? I have one of their XV-15 and it slams. For what you paid for that JL you could get something like this.

POWER SOUND AUDIO — XV30

I had some great experience with JL in the past, then researched them while not really looking at other brands (kind of like when I am buying a vehicle :lol1:). I got a chance to listen to the units I ordered and they sounded great.

I am sure you are right about your subs. I am not an audiophile by any stretch. I did most of my research on-line, then roamed around to listen to what I saw online. The speakers seemed like a no brainer, and keeping the center speaker B&W also.

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
More pics.
Got the lights in (almost, one was DOA), power to the projector outlet, cable rerouted the cable, and started covering the old speaker outlets that the builder installed originally (I am not using those as I turned the room 90 degrees to get the seating in).
Most of the 110VAC is run, will work on the riser tomorrow.
Can lighting will be on dimmers, so not this bright when watching movies, unless they are scarey…
E

photo1a_zps1ca21ef6.gif

photo2a_zps3daa2fd3.gif

photo3a_zps020621b9.gif

photo4a_zps44a8eda1.gif

photo5a_zps42adbe6d.gif

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
More progress!

This is the internals of the riser
photo2a1_zps15308133.gif

photo1a1_zpsea19d773.gif

I packed the entire riser and stairs with R30 insulation before closing it in.

RF Light dimmers
photo1b1_zps40c2332b.gif

Riser topped
photo5b1_zpsd51cb3b2.gif

photo3b1_zps521ff4ed.gif

photo2b1_zps839db712.gif

Screen wall
photo4b1_zps24eed623.gif

Tomorrow is painting. :bored:

E

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Not meaning to hijack, But just about finished building my folded horn sub. Im interested how its going to sound
IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

Damn that is wild. What are the specs of everything (amp/driver/tune frequency), and how exactly does that porting work?

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Its called a Tuba Ht Folded Horn. You can find plans here
Tuba HT
Using a Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15"
Powered by a Dayton Audio SPA1000 1000W
The theory behind folded horn enclosures, it will make a 150 sub sound like a 10,000 sub.
Overall in the project i only have about 700. Including wood,sub,amp.

If you crave bass in your home theatre that shames real theatres, look no further, Tuba HT is the one. And, loaded with the recommended Parts Express Dayton RSS390 HF4 driver, you can build a THT for $500, including an amp that will take it to +126dB levels.

Construction Degree of Difficulty: 4

Performance Quotient: 10

Equivalent Retail Value: $ 2,499

03cobraracer

Established Member
sick room I cant wait to build a theatre room once I buy a house.. I wanna incorporate the roll down "zombie" shutters that my house here in Germany has, when all the way down they completely black out a room NO light gets through whatsoever they are amazing compared to blinds in the states. I may have to import some

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
More progress!

This is the internals of the riser
photo2a1_zps15308133.gif

photo1a1_zpsea19d773.gif

I packed the entire riser and stairs with R30 insulation before closing it in.

RF Light dimmers
photo1b1_zps40c2332b.gif

Riser topped
photo5b1_zpsd51cb3b2.gif

photo3b1_zps521ff4ed.gif

photo2b1_zps839db712.gif

Screen wall
photo4b1_zps24eed623.gif

Tomorrow is painting. :bored:

E

GREAT progress! Well done. It's going to be so nice when it's done.

96dreamer

Established Member
Its called a Tuba Ht Folded Horn. You can find plans here
Tuba HT
Using a Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15"