Home Theater Build

wht93gted

Established Member
Get rid of the carpet and use tile or wood. The carpet will dampen the sub.

That couldn't be more wrong; in a theater you don't want reflections, you want the room to be acoustically "dead".

Well, it's one of the great debates, but generally you want something like carpet. Even carpet the walls and ceiling to kill reflections, but then you can muddy the sound. Like I said, people debate this stuff ad nauseam.

Speaking in "generalities", even having wood floors, people will tend to cover them with area rugs in home theaters. You'll even want to put things in the corners to get rid of them; bookcases, dvd towers, furniture, etc.

OP; can't wait to see the results!

jrandy

Established Member
The plans look quite promising. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I wanted to do a theater room in my house but the two guest bedrooms aren't the right dimensions. Always downstairs but there is just too much light.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Get rid of the carpet and use tile or wood. The carpet will dampen the sub.

That couldn't be more wrong; in a theater you don't want reflections, you want the room to be acoustically "dead".

Well, it's one of the great debates, but generally you want something like carpet. Even carpet the walls and ceiling to kill reflections, but then you can muddy the sound. Like I said, people debate this stuff ad nauseam.

Speaking in "generalities", even having wood floors, people will tend to cover them with area rugs in home theaters. You'll even want to put things in the corners to get rid of them; bookcases, dvd towers, furniture, etc.

OP; can't wait to see the results!

+1. Some room treatments and he'll be just fine....besides needing A LOT more sub :rockon:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
+1. Some room treatments and he'll be just fine....besides needing A LOT more sub :rockon:

+1. Two Epiks up front would kick ass! I'm out of touch with newer subs since it's been a few years since I bought mine... Maybe there is something better.

OP, Consider a repaint and re carpet to darker colors. Black would be perfect but go as dark as you can go. Ambient light is your enemy if you're going to spend big $$ to do all this.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
OP, are you adding a door to the room? Seems having the hallway right by the screen will add too much unwanted light in the worst possible place.

We are going to try and leave it open.

I have that light on a dimmer circuit also, and for the most part that hallway can remain dim or dark.

But if it becomes an issue I will close in the doorway.

Good observation!

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
+1. Two Epiks up front would kick ass! I'm out of touch with newer subs since it's been a few years since I bought mine... Maybe there is something better.

OP, Consider a repaint and re carpet to darker colors. Black would be perfect but go as dark as you can go. Ambient light is your enemy if you're going to spend big $$ to do all this.

I maxed out my budget on AV stuff, so I got "good" subs, but bought the speakers I wanted. The ceiling speakers are a "bit" of a compromise also.

Repainting is a yes since I have small things to patch and small things to move. The carpet will be a theater carpet (goes in on the 19th), it is red/burgundy with gold "neats", looks something like this:

walk-of-fame-burgundy-290sq.jpg

E

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member

Epik is done for. They went out........in a pretty bad way too. A lot of pissed off people. There are definitely some crazy good subs nowadays from such a stiff market. Not only that, but the ability to DIY a sub(s) {even speakers} now is INCREDIBLY easy with places like DIYSoundGroup.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
By the 20th is moving on out. Based on the room size and your layout, it is going to be awesome. By only suggestion would be to install room darkening shades (solid folding fabric vs. narrow horizontal blinds) for daytime viewing. Those blinds you have installed are going to bleed light into the room.

Bob,
The projector can show in the daylight without an issue. For the "theater experience" we will pull the shades behind the blinds. For the most part the room sees morning sun, then shade starting at 10 am. For the most part we think this room will be for evening movies.

E

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Would have been a great place to watch the sox win the World Series

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Epik is done for. They went out........in a pretty bad way too. A lot of pissed off people. There are definitely some crazy good subs nowadays from such a stiff market. Not only that, but the ability to DIY a sub(s) {even speakers} now is INCREDIBLY easy with places like DIYSoundGroup.

That sucks. I love my Epik sub. OH well, seems there are only a few people with staying power in that line of work... Seems like every company that goes out of business selling subs has the most pissed off people i've ever seen lol... Poor guys...

65fastback2+2

Established Member
We have almost the identical setup in our house so let me know if you have any questions along the way LOL!

unfortunately, from the pics of your setup, it was a budget do-it-yourselfer job. which is fine if thats what youre into, but the OP is building a reallllly nice system. for example, speakers mounted on the ceiling like that, especially for your mains is poor placement

99cobradave

Established Member
Nice project, OP! I'm doing a HT myself.

I second checking out AVS Forum. Amazing information on that forum.

I also second the sentiment - more bass!! You can never have too much bass. Ever. Check out PowerSoundAudio, HSU and SVS, if you haven't heard of these ID manufacturers.

Awesome carpet. Love it, man.

Post some pics when it's complete. Good job!

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
unfortunately, from the pics of your setup, it was a budget do-it-yourselfer job. which is fine if thats what youre into, but the OP is building a reallllly nice system. for example, speakers mounted on the ceiling like that, especially for your mains is poor placement

Thanks.

I found "compromise" at every turn when deciding to go forward on this project.

Originally I was going to do a family room with a 60" flat screen, but I already have two of those in the rest of the house.

Really, my room (8' ceiling) is too low, and my room could be bigger. But the basement would not have been any better.

Windows in the rear. It's all I had to work with :shrug:

I started with a $10K budget for the AV equipment....but let's say I smashed that budget :uh oh: I had no budget for a Runco projector....

I got the carpet up and base boards last night and got into the attic and built a base for the projector to mount to. I'll post some pics tonight or Saturday.

E

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob,
The projector can show in the daylight without an issue. For the "theater experience" we will pull the shades behind the blinds. For the most part the room sees morning sun, then shade starting at 10 am. For the most part we think this room will be for evening movies.

E

Ah, smart having shades behind the blinds. Your projector must produce a nice bright picture. One of the reasons why I chose my Samsung (plasma) Smart TV. It's bright picture is a big plus during the day. You're going to have a really awesome overall setup when you're done. Nice carpet choice, by the way. :thumbsup:

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Thanks.

I found "compromise" at every turn when deciding to go forward on this project.

Originally I was going to do a family room with a 60" flat screen, but I already have two of those in the rest of the house.

Really, my room (8' ceiling) is too low, and my room could be bigger. But the basement would not have been any better.

Windows in the rear. It's all I had to work with :shrug:

I started with a $10K budget for the AV equipment....but let's say I smashed that budget :uh oh: I had no budget for a Runco projector....

I got the carpet up and base boards last night and got into the attic and built a base for the projector to mount to. I'll post some pics tonight or Saturday.

E

Did you already buy the subs? If it's JL and their glossy, I'm sure they weren't cheap. Granted their HT subs can be damn good, they're quite expensive. Depending on what you paid, there can be A LOT of good stuff out there that will likely blow those away and give you a much more visceral experience

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I started with a $10K budget for the AV equipment....but let's say I smashed that budget :uh oh:

id definitely say you smashed that budget LOL. i read your product list and thought "finally, someone not trying to build a walmart theater room!"

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you already buy the subs? If it's JL and their glossy, I'm sure they weren't cheap. Granted their HT subs can be damn good, they're quite expensive. Depending on what you paid, there can be A LOT of good stuff out there that will likely blow those away and give you a much more visceral experience

I went with these:
JL Audio E-Sub e110-GLOSS - E-Sub

Mainly because I have a JL 10" in my F250 and I love that sub. But I heard these and they sounded great. I wish I had more space in the room to get optimal placement for the subs, but I don't have anymore room. :shrug:

I'm not really an audiophile, but when I could go hear something and I liked it I would read up on it, if it had good reviews, then that's what I went with.

The room is only 19' x 16', so these two "should" do a good job. Funny, I wanted the bigger intermediate speakers in lieu of the B&W's I got for the ceiling, I thought the subs as selected would be okay.

But still blew through my budget (budget...cough, cough).

E

Users who are viewing this thread