Hit rev limiter car wont start. Help please

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
Hit the rev limiter hard in 2nd, shifted to 3rd wide open, slowed down, sputtered and stalled. I had to have it towed. Pulled the plugs, had gas all over them, cleaned them up, still wont start. Pulled them again, covered in gas again. Also gas is collecting in the throttle body and pouring out.

04cobra13

Established Member
FRPS sensor, same thing happened to me when i hit the rev limiter. Just pull the sensor and start it and it should idle normal, thats how you will know if it is the sensor. Easy fix at around 80- 100 dollars for the sensor, just make sure to change your oil after you put the new one.

http://stangshiftergaskets.com/Photos/FRPS.jpg

Last edited:

twhitey

Established Member
Did you change your frps and your car still wont start?
You should need new plugs and also change your oil.

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
Thanks twhitey. no i didnt change it yet. i will get one tomorrow. whats it cooked? i will get new plugs and change the oil tomorrow also. just frustrating.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Easy fix man. Get a new FRPS and don't hit the rev limiter. I keep a spare one in the glove box.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Most likely it's your FRPS sensor. Pull the vacuum tube out and see if it smells like gas, or if there's any moisture on it. Check all your connections too because i don't know why your car is not starting.

metaman

Established Member
Kenne bell sells a little disc that goes under the sensor that prevents the pressure wave created in the fuel line from popping the diaphram inside the sensor.

whitey92lx

westsidemustangs.com
Established Member
when this happens, will you have not have pressure in the fuel rails? I can hear the fuel pumps, but no pressure at the shrader valve.

thelpb

Established Member
when this happens, will you have not have pressure in the fuel rails? I can hear the fuel pumps, but no pressure at the shrader valve.

It depends on how bad you blow the FRPS. If you just barely pop it like I did, it'll still have pressure. If you grenade it like the OP and fuel can easily pass through the sensor and get into the vac line, then it is possible it could bleed the pressure off. In that case you wouldn't get anything at the schrader valve.

muttley

-Neal-
Established Member
another tip... since I've been there too. After replacing the FRPS, push the throttle to the floor while starting. It takes a while to start after getting flooded with gas.

thelpb

Established Member
newb question
what is the FRPS and where is it ? (for future ref)

Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (if i'm not mistaken) it reports fuel line pressure to the ECM.

About 1" square, black, on the top/front of the drivers side fuel rail, with a vacuum line attached to the top and a small wiring harness on the side.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I popped mine WOT hard in 1st powered into 2nd. Did not hit rev limiter but it's been hit plenty in the past. Slowed down and pulled into a parking lot and was running fine but apparently it was destroyed. Turned car off and go in store, come out store and car won't start. Noticed zero fuel pressure on fuel pressure gauge. Checked fuses etc. and nothing.
Pulled vacuum line off FRPS and had some gas in it. Unplugged electrical connection and it still wouldn't start (perhaps didn't crank long enough). Put in replacement sensor and it cranked and cranked and nothing. I was confused. Then remembered I no longer have a PPRV so all fuel in lines would have drained back into tank when FPRS was swapped out allowing air in lines. So I cranked for what seemed a while, probably 10 seconds and it came back to life. I need to order another and keep it in the glove box too.

Users who are viewing this thread