Hit rev limiter car wont start. Help please

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
Kenne bell sells a little disc that goes under the sensor that prevents the pressure wave created in the fuel line from popping the diaphram inside the sensor.

Yea... interesting stuff. I've read it's not the amplitude of the square wave either, but the frequency.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Kenne bell sells a little disc that goes under the sensor that prevents the pressure wave created in the fuel line from popping the diaphram inside the sensor.

And after been stranded due to FRPS popping I now have one of those KB discs in there. Hopefully they work.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
my tunner set my rev limiter kinda low, the last time i got it tunned...

so i hit the limiter alot, on a wot pull i hit it hard... 1st to 2nd gear... it stalled and wouldnt pass 5500rpm going in to 3rd

but 2 miles down the road it cleard up ?

the next day my car wouldnt start, then i had a strong fuel smell in my vac line...

i put a new frps all is well...

it would be a good thing to keep a spare one in the glove box for next time!!

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
Yes, I did get it going. Wow, what a thing to happen, when you have no idea what happened! I was a nervous wreck. I changed the plugs and the frps, took about a minute or so of cranking to start it and then poof. All of the smoke from the gas burning off came billowing out. Ran rough for about 20 seconds, then idled fine. Then I changed the oil and filter with royal purple and a new filter for the cai. It is like it never happened. Thanks for the help everyone!

thelpb

Established Member
Yes, I did get it going. Wow, what a thing to happen, when you have no idea what happened! I was a nervous wreck. I changed the plugs and the frps, took about a minute or so of cranking to start it and then poof. All of the smoke from the gas burning off came billowing out. Ran rough for about 20 seconds, then idled fine. Then I changed the oil and filter with royal purple and a new filter for the cai. It is like it never happened. Thanks for the help everyone!

Glad it worked out :) Keep a spare handy lol! :banana::banana::banana:

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
I was hauling down the track ready to shift from 3rd to 4th and what do I do....pop it into 2nd. Car revved pretty damn high and I was shitting bricks....never died or anything though. Guess I'm lucky ?

Glad to hear you got it running!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I was hauling down the track ready to shift from 3rd to 4th and what do I do....pop it into 2nd. Car revved pretty damn high and I was shitting bricks....never died or anything though. Guess I'm lucky ?

As embarrassing as that is I will admit I've done that too. My rear tires seem to lock due to going into 2nd and glad it never spun out and wrecked. Tach swung high too, don't recall what. That was years ago. Nothing broke or popped on mine either.

dlaude

Established Member
As embarrassing as that is I will admit I've done that too. My rear tires seem to lock due to going into 2nd and glad it never spun out and wrecked. Tach swung high too, don't recall what. That was years ago. Nothing broke or popped on mine either.

Yeah, been there. NEVER happened with the stock shifter, but has happened 3 times since I've put on my MGW. There is a very slight offset from 3-4 that for some reason I hit with the MGW but not the stock one. I've adjusted the angle of my knob (hehe, I said knob) and haven't done it since.

I've never heard of this FRPS issue before, which is weird because I read on here often. I've bounced off the limiter a few times, but fortunately have never had this issue (knock on wood...). Do you suggest just going to the dealer to get a spare or getting one from the internet? Maybe I'll just go with that disc from kenne bell...is that the technical name for them? discs? Anyone have a link for that on the kb website?

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've never heard of this FRPS issue before, which is weird because I read on here often. I've bounced off the limiter a few times, but fortunately have never had this issue (knock on wood...). Do you suggest just going to the dealer to get a spare or getting one from the internet? Maybe I'll just go with that disc from kenne bell...is that the technical name for them? discs? Anyone have a link for that on the kb website?

I've bounced off the limiter many times over the years and never had a problem till I got rid of the PPRV. Actually I went to a fore hat and twin GT pumps. I guess the extra fuel pressure they can spike at is what causes it. Local dealer wants $120 some change for FRPS. Towsley sold me one for $64 or so.
I got my KB disc from Performance Parts - Ford Mustang - Cobra - Dodge Viper - Chevy Corvette - C6 - LS1

Later
Malcolm

divided

Established Member
I hit 2nd trying to get in 4th at WOT as well. Luckily I keep an eye on my tach and when I saw it shoot up I pressed the clutch and got out of it then back into 4th. I was lucky the tires didn't lock or I didn't blow a frps.

Ironhand

Banned

It does not prevent the FRPS from popping. I popped mine even with the KB disc under the FRPS. It took 78 PSI of fuel pressure but it still popped.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I wanna say stock was 6500 rpm. I noticed after my tune it appears to be more like 7000.

whitey92lx

westsidemustangs.com
Established Member
My frps went out and we replaced it but now I am noticing no fuel at the fuel rails and when I disconnected the regulator, no fuel there either. Fuel pumps are turning on. Replaced the relay for the upgraded wiring for the fpdm. I also bypassed the wiring upgrade to see if that would change anything.
Going to check the fuel filter today but it has only been on for like 200 miles.
Any suggestions?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I had the same problem. Could hear the fuel pumps but no fuel. I also checked the relay back there and thought one of my dual FPDM had gone bad etc. All I had to do was crank for a long time and wait for the fuel to make it all the way up to the engine. Try cranking it for a bit. 20 seconds or something. Every time you let off the key the fuel runs back into the tank and you start over unless you still have the PPRV.

whitey92lx

westsidemustangs.com
Established Member
We had tried that and cranked it many times for a while and still nothing. The battery had to be recharged also.
Any other suggestions on what else I could check? Also< I do not have the pprv

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Do you have a the PPRV delete kit? could a hose have popped off? I'm confused because you say you hear the fuel pumps yet there is no fuel.

Lets assume you didn't hear the fuel pumps or heard something else. Check the basics, fuses, inertia switch.
Did you check if the car is throwing any codes?
Use a meter and check for voltage on the fuel pump harness right down under the rear bumper where before they go into the tank. Make sure the pumps are getting 12 volts.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? have you verified there is indeed no fuel pressure?

Also I've read on the forum that if you unplug the harness from the FRPS and crank the car (long enough to get fuel up there) it should start and idle (barely) but you can't drive it. If you plug the harness back in and it dies your FRPS is bad.

whitey92lx

westsidemustangs.com
Established Member
Yes, I purchased the pprv delete kit and installed it when I did the dual GT pumps. Checked all fuses, inertia switch, no codes. Unplugged the FRPS and still wont start but on the Xcal 3 when you unplug the frps, the FRP on the tuner goes from like .16 to 78.00 but no fuel comes out of the line before the regulator.
Still wont start.
I will check the wires on the harness like you mentioned, the car isnt at my house right now, it is about 30 miles away so just trying to see what all I can find out before I tow it home.
Also, another thing that may play into it a bit is after the FRPS blew ( im assuming that is what started this in the beginning) I was looking at the upgr. wiring relay and my father in law was looking under the hood. I believe a couple of wires touched at the relay near the FPDM while the battery was plugged in and something fried the inline fuse under the hood. We replaced that and like I said before, wired up the FPDM wiring just like stock.
I am going to check at the fuel filter also to make sure fuel is indeed coming out of the tank before I drop the tank and check the pumps. The pumps are indeed coming on though. I was reading it could be the FPDM or the ccm? ( module above the pass. wheel? ) but all fuses everywhere else are fine.
Thanks for your help, let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread