high compression+boost+e85=???

JP_Stang

Established Member
Yes the tank will bolt right up. You will need to modify the dual hat if you get a 03/04 hat. Your car has a return setup on it and the 03/04 hats are not setup for return. I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong please, but you will need the filler neck and level sender?

pacific4v

Established Member
When i installed my 03/04 tank i had to lengthen my tank straps to get them to reach. But from what i understand now the 03/04 cobra tank(maybe all 99 & up) use different tank covers, not different tank straps. Also u need a 99-04 filler neck(doesn't matter if its from a v6, gt, cobra).

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
^^^ tryin, seems like everytime i get close, somthing will pop up.

Pacific4v- How did you extend the straps? And how do I modify the hat? And why a new level sender? The level sender on the hat won't work?

JP_Stang

Established Member
I don't believe the stock fuel lever sender will work with that tank. You will have to have the hat except the return line from your stock fuel system. Most people that do this just weld in a AN fitting because they are usually upgrading their lines too. I have only done a little research on this because I planned to do this when I upgraded my lines and rails. But, now I am just going to sump the tank and run one big external pump when I do it. Sorry I can't be more help for you man. Someone will chime in that knows exactly what you need to do.

pacific4v

Established Member
Personally if I were u I'd just buy a sump kit($40) and run a big single external pump. A new 03/04 cobra tank is like $300(just the tank, nothing else), the dual pump hat fore used to sell was like $300-4(i think), and then for 2 walbros ur looking at $160, and 99-04 filler neck is another $50-75 from a junkyard. That's close to a $1,000 if u buy everything new. U can sump ur stock tank and buy a external pump for less than half that. I wish i woulda gone that route looking back.

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
yea, i can find tanks all day for sale with pumps. i just need one more walbro pump the tank, the neck, and the hat. idk. do you have a link to a sump kit? keep in mind im going to be doing e85.

hittinboost

Established Member
yea, i can find tanks all day for sale with pumps. i just need one more walbro pump the tank, the neck, and the hat. idk. do you have a link to a sump kit? keep in mind im going to be doing e85.
I would do what pacific said, you can buy a sump for the tank and have it welded in or possibly find a tank already sumped. Run an external pump like an a1000 or eliminator.

Instead of worrying about the 03/04 tank, tank cover, filler neck, the hat, twin pumps, etc., just run one big external pump and be done with it. Also IMO they look sick :rockon:

edit: here's a sump

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/en4590.html

Last edited:

JP_Stang

Established Member
If you don't want to go through all the work of sumping it you could always just buy a pick up tube and run an external pump. That is what I will most likely do with my car. I kind of go back and forth on the look of a sumped tank. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. I think street cars look cleaner without the sumped tank. And it is much cheaper if I remember correctly. You can get an entire fuel system for around $800 from Glenn's with just the pickup tube. That will include braided line, pickup, pumps, fuel rails, FPR and the hardware. Its a pretty good deal!

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
I would do what pacific said, you can buy a sump for the tank and have it welded in or possibly find a tank already sumped. Run an external pump like an a1000 or eliminator.

Instead of worrying about the 03/04 tank, tank cover, filler neck, the hat, twin pumps, etc., just run one big external pump and be done with it. Also IMO they look sick :rockon:

edit: here's a sump

1979-2004 Mustang Fuel Tank Sump (with 1/2" fittings) - Home for your Ford Mustang
cool, even though im doing e85? and that just welds onto the tank? what else would be needed for the external pump?

If you don't want to go through all the work of sumping it you could always just buy a pick up tube and run an external pump. That is what I will most likely do with my car. I kind of go back and forth on the look of a sumped tank. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. I think street cars look cleaner without the sumped tank. And it is much cheaper if I remember correctly. You can get an entire fuel system for around $800 from Glenn's with just the pickup tube. That will include braided line, pickup, pumps, fuel rails, FPR and the hardware. Its a pretty good deal!
800.00, thats not bad at all for all that. is that a sump setup that your talking about?

JP_Stang

Established Member
It's not a sump per say. It is a hat that goes into the same place that the pumps go except there are no pumps in the tank. It is just a pickup tube and return tube going down into the tank. Then the pump is external and it just drinks out of the tank like a straw. That is easiest way to describe it.

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
ahhh, so i would have to buy the hat with the "straw" that feeds to the pump. what else would be needed and does it run into the stock line?

hittinboost

Established Member
The glenns pickup tube doesn't look bad but there's other reasons to go with a sump, other than it's looks :)

First and foremost is it moves the fuel pickup from the center of the tank to the rear so when you accelerate it actually moves the gasoline (or e85 in your case) TO the pickup rather than AWAY from it. Fuel starvation = bad, you'll never starve a sump.

Looks like the glenns pickup tube kits run with either one, two, or three pumps, call me crazy but I'd rather have one pump and be done with it. Keep it simple has always been a tried and true concept.

Another reason (more for drag racing) is you can run lower fuel levels without worry of starving the basket or pickup tube, you can run you car with 30-40lbs less fuel in it. I know we're not ricers but everyone loves a little weight savings :)

There's a reason why almost all high hp cars are running a sump with an external. Glenns actually sells a tank with an internal sump, but iirc it's pretty pricey.

hittinboost

Established Member
cool, even though im doing e85? and that just welds onto the tank? what else would be needed for the external pump?
Yup, the sump welds on then you need fuel lines (feed and return), FPR, inline filter, pump (Aeromotive, Magnafuel, etc.), Y Block, and rails.

I'm no fuel system guru...there are alternative methods of course but IMO that's the proper way to do a fuel system.

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
^^ thanks adam. im sure ill have more questions.
what about all the fiting's were could i pick those up?
and are you running a inline pump?

JP_Stang

Established Member
Everything is true the StrokeMe has said. There are definitely benefits to the sump, although none of them will apply to me because I don't race nor drive my car daily so keeping fuel in it won't be an issue for me.

I am sure you can purchase a setup from Glenn's where you could run one pump with the pickup style setup. I plan to speak them about this when I upgrade my fuel system.

I was just throwing that option out there for you so you were aware of it. There are so many ways to do a fuel system on your car. Figuring out what works best for your setup and driving style is the hard part! :)

hittinboost

Established Member
^^ thanks adam. im sure ill have more questions.
what about all the fiting's were could i pick those up?
and are you running a inline pump?
No problem, you can get fittings almost anywhere, Earls, Russell, Jegs, Summit, Aeromotive, etc.

Right now I'm running a Walbro 255 and a Vortech T-rex inline pump, nothing special, just enough to keep my blower happy. I'll be working on building my fuel system soon, like everything else seems like modding never ends lol :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread