Hey guys..Vortech lag ??

Fourcam330

Established Member
J's98Snake said:
Yeah a stock cam/intake/displacement (heads can be ported) 96-98 cobra makes 600+ rwhp with 15 psi & 93 octane :bs: all day everyday. Maybe on a turbo set-up with some race gas, but not a blower with 93.

LMAO, WTF do I know? :bowdown: I bow to your superior knowledge with all things Modular. :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol: :lol: :lol:
edit, what part of you doesn't think that Panhandle P. and shade tree don't belong in the same sentence? :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Rev Happy

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
I was talking about stock heads.

You were?

WDW MKR said:
The heads flow much better for FI than the older B/C heads.

Maybe you should put the word STREET or STOCK next time in your post...

WDW MKR said:
The 03/04 heads are better for street FI applications that want a good bottom end without going into porting.

That want a good bottom end? Are we talking about heads or an 03/04 Cobra short block? You're not making sense here...

If you are just talking about the heads, how are they better suited for street FI applications? They will make more power down low along w/ better torque, I will give them that... But if you're talking about making better power overall, I'm sorry, but B heads don't need porting to make good numbers with forced induction... If you disagree w/ my statement there, then that shows how little you know about these 96-98 Cobras...

I've been at this game since my Cobra came out, so I should have at least a slight idea on what works on my car, and how much power a certain combo should make, etc... Old school DOHC SVT...:rockon:

J's98Snake said:
Yeah a stock cam/intake/displacement (heads can be ported) 96-98 cobra makes 600+ rwhp with 15 psi & 93 octane all day everyday. Maybe on a turbo set-up with some race gas, but not a blower with 93.

That's no joke... and Andy (fourcam330) knows his shit more than I do.. A few years ago, a local guy in Socal made 570rwhp on his stock motor 98 Cobra running about 17psi through an S-trim Vortech... DOHC Cobras have always made impressive numbers on boost w/ stock untouched heads... This is nothing new guys...

STOKED's car is not a monster, he's just making the norm on what a full-bolt on 96-98 Cobra should put out w/ 10+ pounds of boost... He also running an intercooler... His car is impressive nevertheless...

Last edited:

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
LMAO, WTF do I know? :bowdown: I bow to your superior knowledge with all things Modular. :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol: :lol: :lol:
edit, what part of you doesn't think that Panhandle P. and shade tree don't belong in the same sentence? :thumbsup:

I think I should bow down also.... I guess I have no idea about these motors. :lol: :lol: :lol:

J's98Snake said:
I should go dyno my car at the place you did. I'd have some serious #'s and would talk some serious sh1t on the net.

Like I've said, I've been to more than one dyno. According to you, those dyno's are all way off. Funny, my car makes around the same power on all of these different dyno's. Guess they are all way way way way wayyyy off.

Going to run me for pinks....... oh no... tuff guy... Is this a two fast and two furious movie? :loser: :lol1:

If more than a few people say something might be up with your combo, you might want to double check it. I don't see how you keep running your mouth when people are trying to say something is up with your combo.

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
HotRodK said:
So you think it bothers anyone that YOU claim your car makes these rediculous number? You make no difference to me.. :loser:

STOKED said:
I hate to break it to you but my car is not making really amazing power.

Why is this a rediculous number? :shrug:

Did you try to plug your car into my math formula, or not at all? :idea:

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
And Im sure your making 520rwhp with that great 91 octane Cali fuel, right?
Come on man, we dont race dynos. Id also love to make a pull on that one. Clearly it is calibrated to the moon. Just enjoy your ride.... :nonono:

You have a much better car. :bowdown: :bowdown: :rollseyes

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Horsepower is just a function of torque. What's the old racing adage... horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races. Fact is, it's a matter of having the most area under the curve for the rpm range that you will be operating in. Peak numbers don't always tell the entire story.
Spoken like a true drag racing master!! It's all in the curve and where it begins/ends not necessarily where it ends up. ALthough that top number can be fun it won't win in the 1320!!

WDW MKR

Established Member
Rev Happy said:
You were?

Maybe you should put the word STREET or STOCK next time in your post...

Forgive my lack of clarification. Most references to any parts are in stock form, unless stated otherwise (i.e. "I'm running 03/04 Cobra heads" doesn't say anything about porting). Lighten up.

Rev Happy said:
That want a good bottom end? Are we talking about heads or an 03/04 Cobra short block? You're not making sense here...

Again, I apologize for the lack of clarification. By "bottom end" I mean power/torque at lower RPM. That's what makes for a fun street car, which is what I was talking about.

Rev Happy said:
If you are just talking about the heads, how are they better suited for street FI applications? They will make more power down low along w/ better torque, I will give them that... But if you're talking about making better power overall, I'm sorry, but B heads don't need porting to make good numbers with forced induction... If you disagree w/ my statement there, then that shows how little you know about these 96-98 Cobras...

Again, low-rpm "street-friendly" power is exactly what I was talking about.

Rev Happy said:
I've been at this game since my Cobra came out, so I should have at least a slight idea on what works on my car, and how much power a certain combo should make, etc... Old school DOHC SVT...:rockon:

I never disputed your knowledge, so I see no reason to brag about it. Lighten up.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Don't believe me, PM MODCOBRA and ask Ben yourself. BTW, his full weight car with only 450rw from 8psi of S-trim ran 11.4@121 at more than one track. Hell NMRA Factory Stock N/A 4Vs are running 11.3@118 @ 3400lbs with around 380rw on drag radials.
Step out of your ignorant little bubble and join the rest of us in reality. For what you have in it, your car lifts its leg to piss.
I have a better idea. Bring your sled to Smackdown @ Norwalk this spring and I'll gladly drag you down the track with a naturally aspirated 4v all day long.
Also, I wouldn't consider 671/603 with dual power adders to be a "big" dyno sheet. ;-)

Ben Dorn's '98 Cobra was nasty (might have been a '97?)! I've watched it run many times. He's also one of the nicest gearheads you'll ever meet. I used to live in his neighborhood.

I hope to be at Smackdown next Spring, again. I'd love to check out your car if you're there. :beer: If I make it, I'll have my new combo ready. Hoping for high-10s on DRs, though low-low-11s may be all I can get without stickier tires.

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
HotRodK said:
And Im sure your making 520rwhp with that great 91 octane Cali fuel, right?
Come on man, we dont race dynos. Id also love to make a pull on that one. Clearly it is calibrated to the moon. Just enjoy your ride.... :nonono:

You have a much better car. :bowdown: :bowdown: :rollseyes

Too bad you weren't closer, cause I would love to line them up and show you how this slow dyno queen runs. :beer:

Oh, and now you are pumping the number up, never said it made 520, but that would be pretty cool for a stock longblock. :rockon: I have a tune for 91 and a tune for 100 wise guy. :idea:

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
You said 513rwhp, excuse me. But your still making an unreal amount of power on lower octane fuel, and in street trim. If you were telling me this Cobra made 517rwhp on a few pulls with 100 octane, and it was a track tune, then I would absolutely no problem with those numbers. My Mach would easily have made 500rwhp on the Mustang Dyno at SCT but this is a street car running only Sunoco 93. With 100*+ days in the summer, it makes no sense to tread that close to disaster. We tuned it very safe, so I will have no such issues.
This is just a matter of what I have seen on local dynos, and what is possible with pump gas.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
This is just a matter of what I have seen on local dynos, and what is possible with pump gas.[/QUOTE]
Is it possible for a little 2v to make 600rwhp on pump gas?

J's98Snake

Established Member
Rev Happy said:
You were?
That's no joke... and Andy (fourcam330) knows his shit more than I do.. A few years ago, a local guy in Socal made 570rwhp on his stock motor 98 Cobra running about 17psi through an S-trim Vortech... DOHC Cobras have always made impressive numbers on boost w/ stock untouched heads... This is nothing new guys...

STOKED's car is not a monster, he's just making the norm on what a full-bolt on 96-98 Cobra should put out w/ 10+ pounds of boost... He also running an intercooler... His car is impressive nevertheless...

There's a big difference in 17 psi and 10 psi. I have no quam with a car running 17 psi and making 570. Brian Bradford had (1-2 yrs ago) the fastest stock long block 96-98 cobra, he was running 20 psi (s-trim) and made 603 rwhp with race gas. He went 10.4 @ 132 down the 1/4.

I just call :bs: on someone saying they made 537 rwhp on 10 psi with a stock motor. I just want to see all the time slips.

J's98Snake

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:

I never said I had superior knowledge and I've only been involved with mod motor since 2000, but from my 1-2 life experences with mod motors (4V & 2Vs). I believe what I see and experence and what the track says via ET & mph. The air must be different in the south (I'm not from the south just live here).

Sarcasim, that was my point with PHP & shade tree

Fourcam330

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Ben Dorn's '98 Cobra was nasty (might have been a '97?)! I've watched it run many times. He's also one of the nicest gearheads you'll ever meet. I used to live in his neighborhood.

I hope to be at Smackdown next Spring, again. I'd love to check out your car if you're there. :beer: If I make it, I'll have my new combo ready. Hoping for high-10s on DRs, though low-low-11s may be all I can get without stickier tires.

Ben's a great guy, you're right, it was a 98 and is now owned by Dave Hart and still running easy 9s. Hope to see you at Smackdown!

white98snake

Established Member
all i kno is if ur running 10psi on the stock rods and pistons in ur 98 and are planning on goin up in boost u better make sure it can handle it b/c i was planning on procharger and when i spoke to them they told me they do not reccoment more then8-9psi on my stock bottom end then when i spoke to my mustang shop they said the same soo be careful, and is this kit aftercooled or not b/c that will certainly help and def look into meth injection b.c i have heard great things about it

J's98Snake

Established Member
STOKED said:
I think I should bow down also.... I guess I have no idea about these motors. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like I've said, I've been to more than one dyno. According to you, those dyno's are all way off. Funny, my car makes around the same power on all of these different dyno's. Guess they are all way way way way wayyyy off.

Going to run me for pinks....... oh no... tuff guy... Is this a two fast and two furious movie? :loser: :lol1:

If more than a few people say something might be up with your combo, you might want to double check it. I don't see how you keep running your mouth when people are trying to say something is up with your combo.

Your right my car runs like sh1t :shrug: but let's take a look at it 3800#, convertible, stock suspension, 3.73, slicks, 5 speed TKO, 15 psi w/ 12* 93 octane and she ran 6.9 @ 99. Something must be wrong, did I mention I still get 20+ on the hwy. :loser:

I never said I wanted to run you for pinks; I was making an anology, But I wouldn't be scared 1 bit of a 98 GT/Saleen (stock motor) with 10 psi making 537 rwhp.

All th 03/04 cobra owners must be really pissed with all these stock motor 96-98 cobras & GTs making all this power with 10 psi or less.

Must be the air up there that makes you all so fast. :kaboom:

J's98Snake

Established Member
white98snake said:
all i kno is if ur running 10psi on the stock rods and pistons in ur 98 and are planning on goin up in boost u better make sure it can handle it b/c i was planning on procharger and when i spoke to them they told me they do not reccoment more then8-9psi on my stock bottom end then when i spoke to my mustang shop they said the same soo be careful, and is this kit aftercooled or not b/c that will certainly help and def look into meth injection b.c i have heard great things about it

Don't sweat it, according to these guys all you need is 10 psi and you'll be well over 500+ rwhp :rollseyes

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
y2k2gt said:
Is it possible for a little 2v to make 600rwhp on pump gas?

You bet! Not sure if he posts on these boards, but a guy named white99gt made over 620 to the wheels with pump gas, meth injection, built motor ( I believe 8.5 compression ), and a t-trim at 17 psi. You are talking about walking a very fine line of keeping the motor together even if it is built with pump gas. For example, if you go to a gas station with one hose at the pump, you could be pumping in one gallon of 87 + your 91/93. This can make all the difference in the world if you get on it, so that is why you should always look for triple hose gas stations/pumps. Again this is just one of the many things that can go wrong. It’s a crap shoot.

Another big problem not many people at all address is something HotRodK touched on. If it's a hot day out, and you are boost happy, you are asking for trouble. This is where upgrading the cooling system really comes into play. I spent close to half a year fighting cooling problems with a huge air-air intercooler trying to keep the motor right around 180 at all times when it was 90-100 out side. Even if you have a coolant gauge, and it reads 180 coming out of the motor, chances are that it could be another 15 degrees hotter in the heads. This of course is a recipe for disaster. :cuss:

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
white98snake said:

That is why I am building the motor with billet rods and cp pistons. I don't want to put windows in the block with these rods. No reason to trash a teksid block!!! :banana: As of lately, (last time I had time to drive the car was about 5 months ago) I've been running a mix of 91 and 110 just to be on the safe side.

Users who are viewing this thread