Hey guys..Vortech lag ??

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
Oh and I will give you guys a new math formula.

A safe rule of thumb is to assume a 7% horsepower gain for each psi of boost up to 10psi, maybe 12 psi.

My baseline before my blower was 302rwhp, lets plug in the following

302 * (1+(0.07*10)) = 513.4

Wow, what do you know it works.

Now, on different days I have dyno'd up and down around 10-15hp due to heat soak and such.

Machslammer - if you knew your buddies all motor rwhp level this would give you a good indication of what the car should be making hp wise. You also have to factor in the percentage number from the mustang dyno to dynojet as the formula is ment for a dynojet.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
Dam, your too smart for your own good... :loser: Not really. Are you sure you dont drive a Honda? :idea:

Rev Happy

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
torque wins races.

That's an extremely vague statement... There are a lot of other factors that determines how a car won a race... If your statement were true, than you would see F-350 diesels winning races over Cobras...

WDW MKR said:
The heads flow much better for FI than the older B/C heads.

Another vague statement... In all out race applications with boost, B heads are pretty much at the top of the list... There is a reason why the fastest modular in the world runs 96-98 Cobra heads on his 2000hp motor... The port on the intake side is huge out of the box, but the heads lack velocity which hurts them in the low rpm torque area when compared to 99 and up tumble port heads... You can make sick power w/ any of the DOHC heads, just depends on where you want the power...

J's98Snake said:
Stock 98 cobra motor + 10 psi + 400 RWHP and 350ish RWTQ...sounds right to me. There's no way you’re going to get anywhere near 475 rwhp out of a stock long block 98 with 10 psi.

The basic Vortech kit, pushing at about 6-8 pounds, will put a 96-98 Cobra over 400rwhp... 10 pounds of boost should put a 96-98 Cobra motor over 450rwhp+ assuming the motor is healthy... The car in question here does seem down on power IMO...

Last edited:

J's98Snake

Established Member
STOKED said:
Yea, I don't know what I am talking about... good one bud! :bs: I only made 513 rwhp on a stock bottom end cobra with a t-tirm at 10 psi. I made 437 with 7 psi. Keep talking buddy, you look like the guy who doesn't have a clue what he is talking about now. :burn:

As lil John would say "OKay"

How about some real (not made up) ET's with your stock long block cobra pushing 7 & 10 psi.

I ran a 6.9 & 11.0 with 15 psi and 504 rwhp (mustang dyno) with stock cams, intake, displacement & ported B heads with 3.73.

But anyway, maybe you did make extremely high dyno numbers with minimal boost :rollseyes What mods did you have done to make 300+ N/A?

Last edited:

J's98Snake

Established Member
Rev Happy said:
The basic Vortech kit, pushing at about 6-8 pounds, will put a 96-98 Cobra over 400rwhp... 10 pounds of boost should put a 96-98 Cobra motor over 450rwhp+ assuming the motor is healthy... The car in question here does seem down on power IMO...

I must have the weakest 96-98 cobra around :( Hell I need 15-16 psi & ported heads to make 50 more hp than a 10 psi car. I wonder how I would fare in a race against these dyno queens :shrug:

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
J's98Snake said:
I must have the weakest 96-98 cobra around :( Hell I need 15-16 psi & ported heads to make 50 more hp than a 10 psi car. I wonder how I would fare in a race against these dyno queens :shrug:

I hate to break it to you but my car is not making really amazing power.

Take this 98 for example; it even blows mine out of the water!!!

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...ally-made-over-500-rwhp-38162.html#post389691

There was also a guy on the corral who made 560-580 or something crazy on a stock 98 cobra with an s-trim at 12 psi. He also blew it on the dyno though.

Some cars are factory freaks. Did you ever dyno the car when it was all motor? You might have one of the motors that was on the low side for power output. I've seen 98 cobra's dyno 245 stock, and I have also seen them do 271 stock. It all depends where you start from.

How is it not logical if I started at 302rwhp, and you started at 250rwhp to not see where the power difference is???

You have a built motor, ported heads, maybe cams, 16 psi, and you only make around 500 to the wheels? Something is not right. Might want to check your cams if they were degreed correctly. A guy on the corral by the name of tim351 has a combo like yours but with a t-trim, and he is putting out about 120 more hp than you with the same amount of boost and untouched heads.

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
J's98Snake said:
As lil John would say "OKay"

How about some real (not made up) ET's with your stock long block cobra pushing 7 & 10 psi.

I ran a 6.9 & 11.0 with 15 psi and 504 rwhp (mustang dyno) with stock cams, intake, displacement & ported B heads with 3.73.

But anyway, maybe you did make extremely high dyno numbers with minimal boost :rollseyes What mods did you have done to make 300+ N/A?

At the time I had longtubes with matching full offroad exhuast, afm n/a intake, pro-m 80mm, steeda pulleys, 4.10s, alum driveshaft. old autologic tune and 14 degree's of timing.

Do you have an intercooler on your car? I am running a big race unit so my temps are alot cooler than an unintercooled car.

Keep rolling your eyes if you are a disbeliever. If I had your car I would roll my eyes at whoever built your motor or tuned it. :p

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
HotRodK said:
Dam, your too smart for your own good... :loser: Not really. Are you sure you dont drive a Honda? :idea:

Hey, I'd have my panties in a bunch also if an old, prehistoric, boat anchors for heads, b-headed motor, made more power than your fancy dancy new mach 1 03 cobra head'd car makes. :cryying:

Fourcam330

Established Member
J's98Snake said:

Per the numbers and the info given, your car is seriously down on power. Is this a SHM motor? What are you running for cams/intake? I've seen 15psi with untouched B heads/cams, stock intake and a stock bottom end make 600rw+ NP i.e. Ben Dorn. He's far from the only example.
Stoked and RevHappy know their shit, some may want to keep that in mind before making ignorant statements about things they shouldn't.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
So you think it bothers anyone that YOU claim your car makes these rediculous number? You make no difference to me.. :loser:

Last edited:

machslammer

Established Member
The guy I was posting about, posted on this thread on page 1. 98rsnake... his mods are in sig. We were talking and what if...
He adds a smaller pulley to make 10-12 psi at 5k-6k rpms and shifts at that(400 rwhp theoretically) and make the same power that he would now at redline. (400 rwhp)
He would be getting the spooling quicker and getting to a good hp spot and then changing gears. Would this work?? Thanks for all the replies.

Fourcam330

Established Member
HotRodK said:
So you think it bothers anyone that YOU claim your car makes these rediculous number? You make no difference to me.. :loser:

That's just it, the #s STOKED gave for his car reflect the norm for a centrifugally blown B head motor. 400rw corrected is no problem from only 6psi of S-trim, it's been done many times. You might want to lose the chip and learn something.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Rev Happy said:
That's an extremely vague statement... There are a lot of other factors that determines how a car won a race... If your statement were true, than you would see F-350 diesels winning races over Cobras...

Don't take my statements out of context. I was light-heartedly referencing an old racer's adage. If you read my entire post, I already said that it's a matter of getting the most area under the curve of whatever RPM range you are operating within.

Rev Happy said:
Another vague statement... In all out race applications with boost, B heads are pretty much at the top of the list... There is a reason why the fastest modular in the world runs 96-98 Cobra heads on his 2000hp motor... The port on the intake side is huge out of the box, but the heads lack velocity which hurts them in the low rpm torque area when compared to 99 and up tumble port heads... You can make sick power w/ any of the DOHC heads, just depends on where you want the power...

You are talking about race-prepped B heads, and I was talking about stock heads. The 03/04 heads are better for street FI applications that want a good bottom end without going into porting.

J's98Snake

Established Member
LOL at all you guys making "big" power on minimal boost. My weak motor car ran 6.9 @ 99 in the 1/8 mi & 11.0 in the 1/4 with 15-16 psi and 504 rwhp/3.73. This is in a convertible = heavy. What do all your factory freaks run? That's what I thought :rollseyes

Like I said my car has stock cams/ intake/ displacement, but does have stage II ported B heads. I'm not worried about my motor build since it must have been assembled in a alley by some shade tree :bs: It does have forged internals and 9.05:1 comp.

Please post some ET's of these absolute freaks making insane power on stock motors with what 10 psi. Better yet I'll meet you at a track and we'll see who's full of sh1t. I have the slips and vids, I can even pull out a few 6.80 runs when I added a lil ole 35 shot with some serious belt slippage.

Bottom line, the track doesn't lie; keep your big dnyo numbers and I'll be happy owning your a$$ all day long.

If you do want some big dyno sheets...as of a few months ago I do have some 671 rwhp 603 rwtq (mustang dyno) sheets I could post.

Panhandle Performance built my motor and JMS did the tuning, I did all the R&R.

J's98Snake

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Per the numbers and the info given, your car is seriously down on power. Is this a SHM motor? What are you running for cams/intake? I've seen 15psi with untouched B heads/cams, stock intake and a stock bottom end make 600rw+ NP i.e. Ben Dorn. He's far from the only example.
Stoked and RevHappy know their shit, some may want to keep that in mind before making ignorant statements about things they shouldn't.

Yeah a stock cam/intake/displacement (heads can be ported) 96-98 cobra makes 600+ rwhp with 15 psi & 93 octane :bs: all day everyday. Maybe on a turbo set-up with some race gas, but not a blower with 93.

J's98Snake

Established Member
STOKED said:
At the time I had longtubes with matching full offroad exhuast, afm n/a intake, pro-m 80mm, steeda pulleys, 4.10s, alum driveshaft. old autologic tune and 14 degree's of timing.

Do you have an intercooler on your car? I am running a big race unit so my temps are alot cooler than an unintercooled car.

Keep rolling your eyes if you are a disbeliever. If I had your car I would roll my eyes at whoever built your motor or tuned it. :p

I should go dyno my car at the place you did. I'd have some serious #'s and would talk some serious sh1t on the net. :poke:

J's98Snake

Established Member
STOKED said:
I hate to break it to you but my car is not making really amazing power.

Take this 98 for example; it even blows mine out of the water!!!

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...ally-made-over-500-rwhp-38162.html#post389691

There was also a guy on the corral who made 560-580 or something crazy on a stock 98 cobra with an s-trim at 12 psi. He also blew it on the dyno though.

Some cars are factory freaks. Did you ever dyno the car when it was all motor? You might have one of the motors that was on the low side for power output. I've seen 98 cobra's dyno 245 stock, and I have also seen them do 271 stock. It all depends where you start from.

How is it not logical if I started at 302rwhp, and you started at 250rwhp to not see where the power difference is???

You have a built motor, ported heads, maybe cams, 16 psi, and you only make around 500 to the wheels? Something is not right. Might want to check your cams if they were degreed correctly. A guy on the corral by the name of tim351 has a combo like yours but with a t-trim, and he is putting out about 120 more hp than you with the same amount of boost and untouched heads.

LOL at the link you posted. Lemme think a 98 saleen = 98 GT motor + FI. What did the 98 GT's come with 225 bhp + 10 psi and he made 537 rwhp. I'll run that guy for pink slips and have me a 98 Saleen sitting next to my 98 Cobra with only 504 rwhp (used to have 504).

Whoever is dynoing all these cars needs to be run out of town.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
J's98Snake said:
LOL at all you guys making "big" power on minimal boost. My weak motor car ran 6.9 @ 99 in the 1/8 mi & 11.0 in the 1/4 with 15-16 psi and 504 rwhp/3.73. This is in a convertible = heavy. What do all your factory freaks run? That's what I thought :rollseyes

Like I said my car has stock cams/ intake/ displacement, but does have stage II ported B heads. I'm not worried about my motor build since it must have been assembled in a alley by some shade tree :bs: It does have forged internals and 9.05:1 comp.

Please post some ET's of these absolute freaks making insane power on stock motors with what 10 psi. Better yet I'll meet you at a track and we'll see who's full of sh1t. I have the slips and vids, I can even pull out a few 6.80 runs when I added a lil ole 35 shot with some serious belt slippage.

Bottom line, the track doesn't lie; keep your big dnyo numbers and I'll be happy owning your a$$ all day long.

If you do want some big dyno sheets...as of a few months ago I do have some 671 rwhp 603 rwtq (mustang dyno) sheets I could post.

Panhandle Performance built my motor and JMS did the tuning, I did all the R&R.

Don't believe me, PM MODCOBRA and ask Ben yourself. BTW, his full weight car with only 450rw from 8psi of S-trim ran 11.4@121 at more than one track. Hell NMRA Factory Stock N/A 4Vs are running 11.3@118 @ 3400lbs with around 380rw on drag radials.
Step out of your ignorant little bubble and join the rest of us in reality. For what you have in it, your car lifts its leg to piss.
I have a better idea. Bring your sled to Smackdown @ Norwalk this spring and I'll gladly drag you down the track with a naturally aspirated 4v all day long.
Also, I wouldn't consider 671/603 with dual power adders to be a "big" dyno sheet. ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread