Hey guys..Vortech lag ??

machslammer

Established Member
I have a buddy who is currently running a Vortech S-trim on his 98 cobra. He made 400 rwhp, but only 340-350 rwtq. He is running 10# boost. Is there any way to decrease his boost lag? What can he do other than nitrous to increase his torque? His car seemed to run better times with his nitrous 100 shot. He made 350rwhp and 380 rwtq with it. I know there has got to be something to increase his torque and get that car moving quicker. Please post comments. Thanks.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
That doesnt sound too far from normal for a Vortech'd Cobra of those years. Maybe a little low, but not a huge amount.They were weak on torque with or without the blower. Maybe try some Mach1 cams and gears.

WDW MKR

Established Member
The heads and/or cams would be a good idea. They were shared amongst the '03-'04 Cobra, Mach 1 and Aviator. The heads flow much better for FI than the older B/C heads.

TEABG

Banned
Anderson PowerPipe/Induction, and a coil/wire upgrade. Make sure the plugs are also up to par and the Spark Plug gap is correct for a blown application. On those motors everthing has to be perfect. Also check out the tune, maybe to much fuel. Maybe toooooo safe of a tune. Ask the tuner if there is room to lean it out.

Last edited:

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
HP wins races, not torque. He needs to learn how to drive if he is going slower with 50 more rwhp. He should if anything be hooking better with less torque.

Sounds like his car is down on power to me. With 10 psi it should be making in the area of 435-475 at the wheels. I know the tko is going to suck up a few hp, but not that much. You need at least 4.10s or 4.30s in that car with a vortech. Some guys even run 4.56 gears with a blower, but this get a little bit tricky to pick the right size tire when going through the traps.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Horsepower is just a function of torque. What's the old racing adage... horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races. Fact is, it's a matter of having the most area under the curve for the rpm range that you will be operating in. Peak numbers don't always tell the entire story.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Running more boost will naturally create more torque, but if the car is lopsided towards HP rather than torque nothing you can do short of running nitrous or using turbos or increasing the length of the stroke would change that. I believe due to the parasitic drag on the supercharger you're going to take a large hit on torque.

98Rsnake

Grease Monkey
Established Member
i am considering swapping from the stock 3.60 pulley to a 3.33 that i have. i allready have a powerpipe so im thinking this will put me up to about 12-13psi and if it is like the 3.60 it will not hit peak boost till 7k. would this give me the extra boost im looking for at lower rpm's?

TEABG

Banned
98Rsnake said:
i am considering swapping from the stock 3.60 pulley to a 3.33 that i have. i allready have a powerpipe so im thinking this will put me up to about 12-13psi and if it is like the 3.60 it will not hit peak boost till 7k. would this give me the extra boost im looking for at lower rpm's?

Power Pipe will dramatically improve your throttle response. Best of all it will relive stress off of the blower. Lower inlet tempts, increase in power. It gives it a clean touch also. Update your tune also after the Power Pipe. If you alter the pulley ratio your Supercharger warrently will be voided. If you have a stock block be carefull. If I were you I would install the Power Pipe with a new tune. Do not want to greanade you Cobra motor.

Last edited:

J's98Snake

Established Member
STOKED said:
HP wins races, not torque. He needs to learn how to drive if he is going slower with 50 more rwhp. He should if anything be hooking better with less torque.

Sounds like his car is down on power to me. With 10 psi it should be making in the area of 435-475 at the wheels. I know the tko is going to suck up a few hp, but not that much. You need at least 4.10s or 4.30s in that car with a vortech. Some guys even run 4.56 gears with a blower, but this get a little bit tricky to pick the right size tire when going through the traps.

I don't want to sound like a d1ck, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Stock 98 cobra motor + 10 psi + 400 RWHP and 350ish RWTQ...sounds right to me. There's no way you'e going to get anywhere near 475 rwhp out of a stock long block 98 with 10 psi.

Now about the gears, 4.56 with a blower = tire smoke. 3.73, 3.90 or 4.10's.

About the TQ, give me TQ any day over HP all day any day. What do you think get's you moving?

For the guy who started the thread, going to a 3.33 pulley will help. He also might want to check out methanol injection; your motor will last longer with stock internals and you'll make more HP and TQ. An Accufab TB is a good investment with a FI car.

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
J's98Snake said:
I don't want to sound like a d1ck, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Stock 98 cobra motor + 10 psi + 400 RWHP and 350ish RWTQ...sounds right to me. There's no way you'e going to get anywhere near 475 rwhp out of a stock long block 98 with 10 psi.

Now about the gears, 4.56 with a blower = tire smoke. 3.73, 3.90 or 4.10's.

About the TQ, give me TQ any day over HP all day any day. What do you think get's you moving?

For the guy who started the thread, going to a 3.33 pulley will help. He also might want to check out methanol injection; your motor will last longer with stock internals and you'll make more HP and TQ. An Accufab TB is a good investment with a FI car.

Yea, I don't know what I am talking about... good one bud! :bs: I only made 513 rwhp on a stock bottom end cobra with a t-tirm at 10 psi. I made 437 with 7 psi. Keep talking buddy, you look like the guy who doesn't have a clue what he is talking about now. :burn:

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
Someones Dyno may need calibrated... :shrug:

And I think your statement about "Horsepower wins races, not torque" is what clued him in... THATS WRONG. :bored:

Last edited:

98Rsnake

Grease Monkey
Established Member
well if it helps my car was tuned on a mustang dyno and it was tuned with the powerpipe on it, however the tuner said it was a very safe tune which was ok with me at the time but now i want more.i have heard it is safer to run more boost than an agressive tune with less boost? what do you guys think. and by the way i do think my numbers are a little low for 10# but that was on a mustang dyno and a 80 degree day, i could see an agressive tune making upwards of 450hp on a dynojet dyno.

spraying away

Tough Guy!
Established Member
stangd1909 said:
:thumbsup:
The age old formula.......
TQ= The amount of work that can be done
HP= The rate at wich the work can be completed
It's like a 700 whp honda w/ 190 wtq.... useless ;-)

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
Why do they put a cap on hp and not torque in nascar and F1 events?

Does that clue you to anything?

I know the math formula.

Torque is static, HP is not.

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
HotRodK said:
Someones Dyno may need calibrated... :shrug:

And I think your statement about "Horsepower wins races, not torque" is what clued him in... THATS WRONG. :bored:

Then about 5 dynos need to be calibrated then? :loser: Right...

Users who are viewing this thread