Help?!?!

2014Mustang5oh

Fast is never fast enough
Established Member
I got the car retuned by someone who really knows his stuff. It was on the bama tune. I'm running the exact same time at I did before 7.8 at 89 mph and it's consistent. This time I'm leaving off a 2 step at 5K. Pulling a 1.7 60ft but my 330 ft is a .10 slower. I called my tuner and asked him what could be wrong. He said he thinks the stock clutch might be slipping. One strange thing is when I get into 3rd the engine is pulling but making a weird sound. Just doesn't sound the same for a sec and then clears up. Any ideas?

gremlinsteve

Established Member
Can you smell the clutch?
What is the sixty foot before and after?
Post the before and after time slips?
Elevation changes on the day of the races. Do you know the density altitude on each day
And what is the mph in the 1/8 and the 1/4 telling you.

2014Mustang5oh

Established Member
All my times, 60ft, mph, same track, same temp. There is no change between tunes. Motor sounds funny after each shift like it's bogging then it quits. My tuner says my mph way too low

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Cost 525 bucks just to find out lol. I data logged a few runs on my SCT tuner and he said he would look at them. He thinks the clutch is slipping above 7K rpms which is why my MPH is so slow

Yeah, 500+ is a little pricy for a NA tune, I talked to him about tuning mine and I'll stick with Dan at Pro Dyno for the time being.

Don't take this the wrong way but just because driver X can run 7.5xx's doesn't mean you will. It takes practice.

I watched you make a couple passes last week and it looks like you could've gotten thru the gears a little cleaner. If the clutch is slipping it should be noticeable on the shifts, the rpm's will jump up and you'll start slowing down.

I've got an cheap Sony HD camera on a GoPro mount I mount on the side glass and video my passes, it makes it easier to see and hear what happens during a pass.

2014Mustang5oh

Established Member
Yeah, 500+ is a little pricy for a NA tune, I talked to him about tuning mine and I'll stick with Dan at Pro Dyno for the time being.

Don't take this the wrong way but just because driver X can run 7.5xx's doesn't mean you will. It takes practice.

I watched you make a couple passes last week and it looks like you could've gotten thru the gears a little cleaner. If the clutch is slipping it should be noticeable on the shifts, the rpm's will jump up and you'll start slowing down.

I've got an cheap Sony HD camera on a GoPro mount I mount on the side glass and video my passes, it makes it easier to see and hear what happens during a pass.

Yeah I hate shifting these cars. 2nd to 3rd at those RPMS is tough. I ran it again today. I feel like I got good shifts. Missed 3rd a couple times. But even with rough shifting Aaron said my MPH is still too low. Like today I missed 3rd and still ran 8.0 at 88 mph. But if I get 3rd gear I run a 7.8 at 89. 5 mph is a big jump even with spotty shifting.

2014Mustang5oh

Established Member
Are you sure that this tuner knows about clutch protection and torque management?

He told me before I went to the track that the clutches in these cars are junk. As far as torque management I remember he mentioned that he didn't want the torque management on. Or something like that. But yes I'm sure he knows his stuff. He's well known around here and has one running 6.9s NA. It's something to do with my car mechanically Bc it did the exact same thing with the bama tune

5lho

Established Member
Yeah...that's bullcrap. I have over 100 full clutch dump launches on slicks, 4500-6000 rpm, on a prepared surface and the clutch is like new.

The torque mgmt should have been turned off by your tuner.

Knows his stuff, eh? Not convinced. I'm blowing through 90 at the 1/8th on just the Procal 91 tune. Full weight Premium GT. Torque management, etc. still on.

Last edited:

2014Mustang5oh

Established Member
The sound from the motor sounds like a LOUD buzzing and it only does it right after I shift from 7500+ and it does it for about a sec and then quit

Users who are viewing this thread