Help recovering data

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My 4 year old pulled an SD Card out of my Garmin Cataylst. When I re-inserted it forced a re-format. All the data is still store, but the videos are gone.

I won't use the SD Card again, so nothing will be overwritten. Anyone a pro at recovery in a situation like this? I'll gladly pay.

SVTXTC

Established Member
No sir. Not sure how to do that haha
CHKDSK is file system repair utility in Windows, and you can use it to recover a damaged SD card with one simple command.

1. Open the Command Prompt by typing “cmd” in the search box on the taskbar.
  2. Enter the following command and press Enter: chkdsk X: /r (replace X with the latter assigned to your SD card).
  3. Wait for CHKDSK to finish.
May or may not work but I’ve had success with my GoPro SDs with this method. Others may have better solutions way above my knowledge of this first attempt with a windows program.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like the MBR is corrupted, you could try rebuilding it…chkdsk does that I believe. Of that doesn’t work you can download the free version of something like Recuva and restore files to another drive easily since nothing new was written. Long as it was a quick format that is.

MBR is essentially the library for the drive, how the files are organized if you’re curious.

If it’s a Sandisk, they and many others have a proprietary disk tool as well that might help.

Blown 89

Established Member
I have a recovery program for sdcards. I'll track down the name and report back.

Edit: Eassos Recovery. There are a bunch of open source programs as well. This one recovered mine perfectly.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't have a recovery issue, but I've made note of that Recuva tool. Thanks.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Unfortunately, none of that has worked :(

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
well shit

Nick, did it actually format the card when it got put back in the device? Just wasn't entirely sure based on the previous post

It says it formatted it. Now when I plug it into a PC, it says it can't format the disk. I'm ****ing frustrated.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Then I would try to find a professional, reputable place in your area and pay them to do it. Wont be cheap. If its there. They will find it.

ya the fact that some kind of format was done, and yet his PC is saying it can't be formatted it might go a tad beyond the normal recovery

Users who are viewing this thread