Help!! Oil Leak after oil change

res0n0xg

Established Member
Took the car to goodyear to get a set of drag radials mounted which I got an awesome deal on (250 for two nitto nt555r 315's) anyway.....

figured I'd be lazy and get a synthetic oil change, even though it was against my better judgement.

go figure, the ****ing car is leaking oil, I've owned it for over a year and it hasn't leaked a drop of anything, my garage was spotless!

so, i got back and check the invoice which i carelessly put in my pocket before, they put 10W-30 in the car, now i'm thinking what the **** is going on, i guess the dumbass 14 year old kid who changed my oil dropped out of high school and can't read.

I did a quick check, doesn't look like the filter is leaking at all, i checked the drain plug, nothing doing, it's behind that somewhere that the oil is coming from, definitely the engine. I had my wife rev the car a couple times and sure enough see a few drops splash down on the revs.

is it a seal of some kind that just absoluted hated the 10W-30 oil? the car had a fully synthetic oil in it before the change as well, and absolutely no leakage, it was valvoline 5w-20 fully syntheic

IMG_5399.jpg

IMG_5398.jpg

Last edited:

futureSVT

Established Member
its probably just collected on the brace under the drain plug, wash it off real good and drive it. then recheck usually it drips there when i change mine.

res0n0xg

Established Member
I knew it wouldn't hurt the actual motor, but I've had 5W-20 in it since I've owned it so I was wondering if a seal of some kind could have been affected by the change in weight.

In my long ass post above I checked the drain plug and filter, the oil leak is coming from behind both of those locations and dropping down, seems like it's coming from the motor itself. the curious thing is, i've never had a leak before this, i didn't check to see if it was overfilled as it was 95 today and the motor was still pretty hot.

I'm not getting any white smoke or anything, just a leak.

res0n0xg

Established Member
i tried to describe where it's leaking from in my above post, behind the filter and it's dripping down. i didn't tell them how many quarts, i figured that should be automatic in the system, a computer shouldn't get that wrong....

res0n0xg

Established Member
Ok, take a look at the uploaded pics, upon closer inspection it does appear it could be a bunch of oil that collected on the brace, as the drip is coming from the passenger side of the drain plug and i sat there watching the plug for a few minutes and see no drip.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Are you sure it's not coming from the filter? Sometimes the old oil filter o-ring doesn't come off with the filter, then the lube-tech puts the new filter on the stuck old o-ring, which causes it to leak like crazy...my advice is to clean it up down there...maybe the guys hastily changed it and there is just excess draining everywhere...I'm so sorry, but I refuse to let anyone touch my car to change the oil...I hope no serious damage was caused...subscribing
Also, I'm a little confused...what oil is in the car now?

Last edited:

res0n0xg

Established Member
i really don't think it's the filter, take a look at the pics, it's coming from close to the drain plug.

yes, no way i can let anyone else change my oil now, so much for being lazy.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I have a 03 Cobra, and the drain plugs is black...is that an aftermarket drain plug?

res0n0xg

Established Member
you know, i think it is. maybe i'm just bad at remembering.... but i can't be 100% if that was there before, sigh.

budweiser175

Banned
this same thing happened on my 99 cobra, i went and got the oil changed and right after, it had a leak. i guess while he was taking oil filter off he hit the oil cooler/oil adapter(piece that oil filter attached too) caused a leak. here are pictures

Picture757-1.gif

Picture755.gif

Picture750-1.gif

Picture746-1.gif

Picture747-1.gif

Picture739-1.gif

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
If it appears at all like it is coming from adapter, remove filter and use a large allen wrench (I forget size) to tighten down the part that filter threads onto

Blk04Snake

Established Member
That drain plug definitely looks like it's new. And the aftermarket ones without the molded in gasket tend to leak like crazy.

TRBO VNM

not sure whats been posted(sorry, been drinking, :D)

check behind the drain plug and see if there is a plastic washer or something to help seal it. if not, that can be the problem for the plug.

for the filter, as posted, check to make sure there is only one o-ring gasket there and not more. I have changed peoples oil and seen 3 rings there. how it ever sealed is beyond me.

also, as posted, the threaded neck that the filter screws on to comes loose. that is very common. it takes like a 1/2" allen head socket to tighten it. it may be a different size, but it is large. if loose, it will leak between the oil cooler assembly pieces.

PS. in the future, do the oil change yourself and you may notice a few of these things.

Last edited:

res0n0xg

Established Member
ok, sat under the car for a few minutes sweating my ass off in the garage. i cleaned up the big ass mess from the oil dripping.

it was the "new" drain plug the ****s who changed my oil put in, obviously i wasn't about to unscrew it to check for a gasket however i did notice a black washer between the plug and the oil pan so i think it's ok.

so i bust out the socket wrench just to test, hoping that the incompetent **** sucker didn't tight it all the way, and guess what.... HE DIDN'T.

i watched little drops of oil every so slowly coming out through the drain plug and trickling like a foot down to the other side of the oil pan then dripping on the ground. that's what really threw me off, the damn oil just traveled along the pan for a ways away from the plug and filter so it looked like a leak coming from somewhere else entirely

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Maybe he did it on purpose since you got two 315 Nitto Drs for $250 mounted:shrug:...doesn't make sense...I would still be worried that isn't the stock plug...you are lucky you didn't loose your motor over this...

Users who are viewing this thread