Help me choose my next car...

Never_Enough

Established Member
Short list of half the year toy so far is:
-Classic muscle car (Chevelle preferred)--do you like to turn wrenches in your spare time?

You forget who you're talking to? lol I can tolerate it for my dream car.

-2014-15 F-Type V8 S--nope...you said no euro trash, and this is quite possibly the worst for long term ownership.

I've been over on the Jag forum & seems to be a mixed bag like any other car, but the gripes on the F-Type seem to be minor fit & finish things easily corrected or things that have a TSB out on them. Personal experience with them?

-C7 Corvette (Non-Z06/GS)--best all around to fit your needs

Just not sure I'd be happy with narrow body. Unlikely I'd find the right C7 with a WB conversion & I am not sure I want to spend the $3k+ to do it. Still considering a modded C7, though. Stock = no thanks.

-Wide body C6 Vette (Non-Z06)--going to take some decent mods to get a gs or base C6 comfortably in the 11s. Plus you've already had a c6z, why downgrade?
See my OP. If not factory fast, I'm only buying cars already modded to my liking by the PO. Don't want a Z this time because I want the roof off. Hardtop FTL.

-2012-14 Grand Cherokee SRT--no. As much as I love my jeep, this is not a long-term ownership car. The maintenance/running costs are HIGH, and reliability is TBD.
Can you elaborate? Send me a PM if need be. I am disappointed to hear this.

-Charger 392 SRT--hellcat or bust
Like it, but I do think I'd want the HC every time I saw one if I went 392SRT. :(

-Chevy SS--meh...
God damn boring looks :(

-S550 Mustang GT (Too common)--2018+ are really enticing. They are not the prettiest, but the bang for the buck is hard to beat
Agree, but not going to buy a new car. Used FTW.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Buy now before you wish you would've bought sooner.

da020d4cb67d0acd819f8f32ee880e18.jpg

Never_Enough

Established Member

Never_Enough

Established Member
Sell the Miata :D
LOL for what? Not like I'd get a ton of $ for it. With my agreed value policy, it's actually worth more wrecked...
I'm vinyl wrapping it soon.

Damn you, I'm gonna list the Miata on the Miata forum tonight with a stupid price just to see what happens.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Wait, so Mustangs, and Camaros are "too common", but you have things like Challengers, and Caddys on your list?

08mojo

Established Member
I won't be as lazy in my quoting this time...

You forget who you're talking to? lol I can tolerate it for my dream car.

I just don't enjoy turning wrenches like I used to, so I shy away from some of the 'dream' cars I'd love to build. I REALLY want to tack a fox body reto, but haven't forgotten the memories of owning one just yet...

I've been over on the Jag forum & seems to be a mixed bag like any other car, but the gripes on the F-Type seem to be minor fit & finish things easily corrected or things that have a TSB out on them. Personal experience with them?

No personal experience, but I wouldn't want one long-term.

Just not sure I'd be happy with narrow body. Unlikely I'd find the right C7 with a WB conversion & I am not sure I want to spend the $3k+ to do it. Still considering a modded C7, though. Stock = no thanks.

With the right wheels and suspension setup, a narrow body C7 can look pretty damn good. I've seen a couple that make me forget about the wide body cars.

Can you elaborate? Send me a PM if need be. I am disappointed to hear this.

It's a super-fun car/suv to drive. In fact, it drives so well, I often forget it's a 5300lb vehicle. But, that simple fact rears its head a lot and it's not one that can be changed:

• 12mpg is easily obtained, 14+mpg is really hard to obtain. It also calls for premium fuel. 21 gallons a week to drive 250-300 miles start to add-up
  • More weight means more tire wear. I just turned 12k miles on my SRT, I think I'll get another 5k out of the tires--and 295/45-20s are not cheap
  • My front brakes are nearly gone--in 12k miles! OEM parts are close to $1k for fronts only: $300 per rotor, $300 for pads. There are aftermarket options for a lot less than OEM, but I cannot believe I'm researching brake replacement at 12k miles
  • two diffs and a transfer case to maintain, and Jeep does have relatively short fluid change intervals 20-30k miles...i think, I'd have to look it up again
  • starting to see more reports of failed lifters in the 6.4 hemi--something to consider with any challenger or charger with the 392. The jeep only has a 3 year 36k warranty--I'll be dumping this thing before it ends
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the Jeep. It was a bucket list car for me, and I'm glad I got it. But, it's not a long-term car for me. I spent last week at BMW dealerships with my wife and got some attractive offers on my jeep to move into an M4--but I couldn't do it, I'm not ready to move from the jeep just yet.

Agree, but not going to buy a new car. Used FTW.

2018s will be in the market very soon! For what it's worth, the 15-17s are no slouch either, but I'd have to throw a power adder on any s550 platform to truly enjoy it.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I just don't enjoy turning wrenches like I used to, so I shy away from some of the 'dream' cars I'd love to build. I REALLY want to tack a fox body reto, but haven't forgotten the memories of owning one just yet...
I'm right there with you which is why I want something already done. Whether it's by the PO or the factory, I don't care. I can deal with doing some appearance mods myself.

It's a super-fun car/suv to drive. In fact, it drives so well, I often forget it's a 5300lb vehicle. But, that simple fact rears its head a lot and it's not one that can be changed:

• 12mpg is easily obtained, 14+mpg is really hard to obtain. It also calls for premium fuel. 21 gallons a week to drive 250-300 miles start to add-up
  • More weight means more tire wear. I just turned 12k miles on my SRT, I think I'll get another 5k out of the tires--and 295/45-20s are not cheap
  • My front brakes are nearly gone--in 12k miles! OEM parts are close to $1k for fronts only: $300 per rotor, $300 for pads. There are aftermarket options for a lot less than OEM, but I cannot believe I'm researching brake replacement at 12k miles
  • two diffs and a transfer case to maintain, and Jeep does have relatively short fluid change intervals 20-30k miles...i think, I'd have to look it up again
  • starting to see more reports of failed lifters in the 6.4 hemi--something to consider with any challenger or charger with the 392. The jeep only has a 3 year 36k warranty--I'll be dumping this thing before it ends
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the Jeep. It was a bucket list car for me, and I'm glad I got it. But, it's not a long-term car for me. I spent last week at BMW dealerships with my wife and got some attractive offers on my jeep to move into an M4--but I couldn't do it, I'm not ready to move from the jeep just yet.
Jesus. I think you just talked me out of the GC SRT. :( How do they look lowered with 18"s? LOL :D

2018s will be in the market very soon! For what it's worth, the 15-17s are no slouch either, but I'd have to throw a power adder on any s550 platform to truly enjoy it.
No doubt, any S550 I look at would have to have a power adder already installed for me to even think about pulling the trigger.

Recon

Established Member
Not exactly the pinnacle of reliable out of warranty or easy to work on, though, right? Everything I have heard/read says Audis have a shit maintenance schedule/cost & are a pain to wrench on.

Anyone think I should consider an F10 M5, modded E90/92/93 M3 and/or M4 or pass because of same reasons above?

Stay away from Europe.

Pick your poison.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member

I friggin love my 2015- no way i'm getting rid of it. Probably the only non-American car I would consider buying these days. Black/Black manual transmission, custom exhaust, tune, wheels, done and done. Great all around driving. If I did not have another daily then I would daily mine (except for my summer performance tires and our crappy SE Pennslvania winter weather)- but someone has to keep the Shelby company in the garage when not being driven!

If I was you- consider it!

Never_Enough

Established Member
I friggin love my 2015- no way i'm getting rid of it. Probably the only non-American car I would consider buying these days. Black/Black manual transmission, custom exhaust, tune, wheels, done and done. Great all around driving. If I did not have another daily then I would daily mine (except for my summer performance tires and our crappy SE Pennslvania winter weather)- but someone has to keep the Shelby company in the garage when not being driven!

If I was you- consider it!
Snow tires, my friend. I'd opt for the auto trans, though. Care to share why you love it so much? I will add it to my test drive list. No V8 exhaust note, though. :(
If I go HC Charger, I'll likely slap snows on it. :D

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
Snow tires, my friend. I'd opt for the auto trans, though. Care to share why you love it so much? I will add it to my test drive list. No V8 exhaust note, though. :(
If I go HC Charger, I'll likely slap snows on it. :D

Snow tires indeed- but my Raptor has pretty nice tires on it so no need to put snow tires on an M4 unless it was truly my daily.

I love it because it has really consistent power throughout the powerband, I like the different drive modes (I keep mine in sport mode almost full time because it sounds and performs better with more immediate throttle response), I really like what twin turbos bring to the table (very responsive with little to no power lag), it handles beautifully (nice weighted balance and even at high speed cornering I have a rough time getting any tire screech), etc. I of course prefer the manual so have no experience with the automatics, but for those who prefer that I hear good things.

Yeah, no V8 exhaust note- one of the main reasons I had a custom exhaust put on it- it certainly helped and sounds great compared to stock, but a V8 is still a V8. I could not pass up the twin turbo engine power and torque increases over the V8 though. If I spent more time outside of my car listening to the exhaust/engine notes then I might have opted for the V8---but since I am inside of the car driving it then I will take the enhanced power over the sound. This is the same reason I went for the 2017 twin turbo Raptor over my old V8- more power!

I would definitely drive it if I was you.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Chevy SS from that list.

I don't think they are going to go down very far in value from their current pricing. It's a very niche vehicle with not a lot of units sold, but a lot of people seem to like them.

Users who are viewing this thread