Help me choose my next car...

Never_Enough

Established Member
UPDATE 5/28/18:
Did some more driving today. First, a 2017 F-Type w/the blown 6 banger b/c no local V8 S. It'd take some getting used to looking out the small rear window & those blindspots, oof. I was very impressed with the interior. Even the headliner was leather. Had power adjustable side bolsters on the seats which I love & miss from my previous BMW. That stuff is a big deal for twigs like me that slide around in just about all seats. :D I like the interior layout and thought the center HVAC vents going into the dash when not in use was cool, but would rather not have that as it's just another thing to break. When resting my hand on the shifter (Automatic) I felt like it might break off in my hand. Obviously, I am exaggerating, but only to get my point across. Overall, I really like it. I'd only buy the V8 S, though. I wish it had cooled seats, though.

Next, I went to Chapman Dodge in Horsham to check out a Charger Hellcat. I was there Saturday, but no one ever helped me so I left. To be fair, they were super busy. I should not have gone back. They refused a Hellcat test drive giving the usual everyone wants them 0 miles. Well, the car did not have 0 miles on it so :rofl: I went to their Ford dealer years ago to check out a GT500 (I drove up in a new CTS-V I had for extended test drive) and they refused a drive as well. **** that family of dealerships.

Then I was off to check out a 2017 RS3. Oh man, super fun to drive. No longer considering an S3 thanks to this thing. Same interior, of course. So my same issue with the dash stands. Way too plain and baron IMO. They should have at least leather wrapped something there. S3 has power seats, but RS3 has manual seats. WTF? Not a deal breaker as you adjust em once & forget it. It was super fun to drive.

Finally, off to check out another S550 Mustang, 2016 C7 Stingray & 392 Challenger. I have driven C7s before, but it has been a while. I didn't even bother driving the Mustang after sitting in the C7. This one did not have the competition seats, but still held me well. I was surprised. Of course, I'd rather have competition seats. Dare I say I felt at home driving the C7. After owning 2 C6 Vettes, maybe I'm just a Vette guy. C7 owners, how is the stock Bose system? If you had/have a C6 as well, please chime in. We all know the stock C6 Bose system is hot garbage. I'm HOPING that is NOT the case in the C7. I like my tunes, I like bass & I like it loud. I was hoping that my decision would be easy & I would just fall in love with something I can daily drive all year. Ugh!

Then I drove a new 392 Challenger w/the auto trans. Holy hell, you know you are in a land yacht. From a dig she wants to light the tires up. Punch it from a highway roll, you feel all the weight. I'm sure the extra 200 HP of the Hellcat solves that. With that said, if driving a HC Charger feels the same as driving the Challenger, I think I'm out. I was afraid I was gonna whack the curb when I parked it in an end spot. For my driving style, I think I need some more nimble. Anyone know if the Charger feels as big as the Challenger?

Dodge salesman was telling me they sold their Demon for $125k & he agreed that there are much better cars for $125k. We also talked about all the videos of the Demon getting gapped. It was fun.

I've got to give another M4 a chance as I think the one I drove either had stereo issues or I missed some settings.
===================
UPDATE 5/26/18:
So today I went to drive several cars.

First, it was a BMW M4. I wish the HUD was nicer & more involved. E60 M5 had a great HUD. The Logic 7 stereo was garbage. So, if there wasn't an option for better stereo from the factory, the M4 is out. Other than that, the car was a blast to drive.

Next, I was off to drive a '12 CTS-V & 2016 Camaro SS. Drove the Camaro & could not get into a comfy seating position no matter what. Also, don't like the vents down low. I drove it in comfort & track modes. Track mode made the car a huge rattle trap. So Camaro is out. If the ZL1 has the same seats, it's also out. Then I asked to drive the V & was told just took an out of state deposit on it. LOL yea right. Too lazy to pull from showroom.

Then I was off to check out an F-Type. Get there & car is not on the lot & no employees to be found. I was told via email right before I left that they had it. **** that place.

Next up was a Charger Scat Pack. Again, they know I'm coming. Oh, it was just sold. **** you too. So I walk over to the Dodge dealer to check out a Hellcat & they are super busy & am told someone will be with me. No one ever was. I walked out.

Now I'm off to see a 2016 S3 that I verified was there. ANother ******* dealer with "We just sold it" bs! Come on, this is not how you treat people. Stop lying about cars being available. GFY.

Then I checked out a '17 Mustang GT Convertible. Cooled seats! I hope what I get next has them. I love em. I liked it a lot more than the Camaro. I kept the top up. Shaker stereo seems good, but that has to be tested with top down to be sure. Didn't seem like Ford wanted to make it easy to select where you want your AC/heat air coming from. I enjoyed driving it. Tried it in track & sport & comfort or whatever it was. Rode nice in all 3. Exhaust note FTW in track mode. I would have to do something with all that silver trim around the vents along the dash. That needs to be Carbon fiber or something.

Finally, off to Audi to drive a 2016 S7 & a new S3. Not sure which I had more fun driving, the M4 or the S7. S7 wins on torque & interior I believe. I don't like how every manufacturer seems to be slapping these app/nav screens in the middle of th dash with no way to retract or move it. Audi screens go into the dash. Point for Audi! The S3 was super fun to toss around and the exhaust note in dynamic mode was bitchin'. I'm also loving the auto rev matching these new cars have. Obviously, the S7 wins on interior vs S3, but I feel the S3 interior is way too cheap for what you're paying. Bland & desolate dash looks like the cheap plastic dash in my Jetta. Put the S7 interior in the S3 & you have a winner. :D I believe the S3 is FWD based AWD, though. Bleh... I didn't get a chance to see if the stereo is any good. I"m going to have to look up specs on the other S cars to see how they compare performance wise. Might save me some money. ;)

Still need to drive a C7 Vette again & Hellcat again. Once I drive them, I'll know if I'm still in big HP half the year toy mode or time for a really nice fast DD like the S7.

Also, new cars are too damn big & you know you're in a land yacht while driving one! Ugh...

==============================
I'm a little all over the place. I could go fun DD & toy in one or I could toy that gets parked all winter again.

Has to be factory fast or already modded by previous owner. Also, auto trans only.

Short list of half the year toy so far is:

-Classic muscle car (Chevelle preferred)
-6th Gen ZL1
-Charger Hellcat
-2014-15 F-Type V8 S
-C7 Corvette

Short list for daily driver & toy in one is:
-Charger Hellcat
-Boosted S550 Mustang GT
-M3/M4
-RS3 or S7

Thoughts? Suggestions? Input?

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What is your budget? Of your selections an SS with a Procharger would probably give you the best bang for the buck. I bet you'd really break some hearts with 600 rwhp in a 4 door

Recon

Established Member
I’m fond of the F-Type, but there’s nothing like a classic muscle car.

Pick your poison.

Recon

Established Member
You get a Chevelle with a built 454 or bigger and you’ll giggle like a little school girl.
I’d also consider a Boss 302. Slap a VMP 2.65L on it and call it good.

Pick your poison.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
40k would take out the HC, no?

At least around here people trade them in from around 1k miles to 27k miles. Even then, the ones in the 20k mile range are still in the low 50/high 40 range.
Maybe location plays a role too(year round sun here).

If you want a SRT Jeep, go for the 14+ with the 8 speed.

Never_Enough

Established Member
C6 Z06 or 2013-2014 Shelby GT500 would be at the top of my list. A hellcat would be up there too.
You didn't read.;) No C6Z this time. I want the roof off.

You get a Chevelle with a built 454 or bigger and you’ll giggle like a little school girl.
I’d also consider a Boss 302. Slap a VMP 2.65L on it and call it good.
Pick your poison.

Doubt I'd get that kind of Chevelle for $15k or so. If I'm buying it instead of the other stuff, then I'm going for one with an LS motor already in it. Boss just doesn't get me excited.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Op you are all over the place.. But, If I go off of two things, first being your "#1 concern of factory fast in straight line" and 2nd your budget.. I think a nicely modded 11-12 GT500 is the best buy.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If 40k is your budget that probably tosses out the Hellcat. So I’d say 11-14 GT500, or SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08mojo

Established Member
Short list of half the year toy so far is:
-Classic muscle car (Chevelle preferred)--do you like to turn wrenches in your spare time?
-Hellcat--Hellcat Chargers are really appealing, I can't stand the looks and size of the Challengers
-2014-15 F-Type V8 S--nope...you said no euro trash, and this is quite possibly the worst for long term ownership.
-C7 Corvette (Non-Z06/GS)--best all around to fit your needs
-Wide body C6 Vette (Non-Z06)--going to take some decent mods to get a gs or base C6 comfortably in the 11s. Plus you've already had a c6z, why downgrade?
-2010-14 GT500--it'd be 13-14 only for me. Are those in the low $40s?

Short list for daily driver & toy in one is:
-2012-14 Grand Cherokee SRT--no. As much as I love my jeep, this is not a long-term ownership car. The maintenance/running costs are HIGH, and reliability is TBD.
-Charger Hellcat--yes
-Gen2 CTS-V--yes!
-ATS-V--no...I'd be unhappy if I didn't get the big boy version
-Charger 392 SRT--hellcat or bust
-Chevy SS--meh...

Cars that could come into play, but I doubt it:
-S550 Mustang GT (Too common)--2018+ are really enticing. They are not the prettiest, but the bang for the buck is hard to beat
-6th Gen Camaro SS (Too common)--it's a camaro...so, no.
-Already Built 96-98 Cobra, Teal 93 Cobra or Fox Body Notch/Vert/GT (Built as in motor, FI & suspension)--built fox body all day long (if you like turning wrenches)!
-Already Built 98-02 Trans AM WS6 (As in motor, FI & suspension)---no, yuck

Users who are viewing this thread