Hello everyone

Dand77

So here I am looking for a mustang now. I currently own a Subaru forester xt, which has been heavily modified and like most car enthusiasts you get to a point in a build and being to wonder, unless of course you picked the right car to build, is it worth it to continue. I realized that to do what I would like to to do with my car I would probably be spending another 20k, and that would put me somewhere around 600 to 700 at the wheels depending on octane gas and how crazy I wanted to go. However I would need to swap in an sti 6 speed to handle all of this.

Now why I'm here is because I've always loved mustangs, every since high school, and I realize as the saying goes there is no substitute for cubic inches. However I like boost, so I will probably switch out and turbo, or just get a bigger supercharger. In the meantime the point of this thread really is I know what sucks about the subarus'. What I don't know about are the terminators, what are their hp fail rates for internals, I know ford put some forged goodness into that motor, but how does the trans hold up. I will keep this as the weekend warrior and track car. So I guess I'm asking what I need to lookout for with them, what is the trans tolerances with hp and trq, and what about the engine internals. I know ford made these almost grenade proof, and aside from the evil grin they have, these are the reasons I want one. So in a few months I will be able to purchase one, getting a little money, not in a way I would like, but I am. Thanks all for any info you can give me, and look forward to joining the club soon, and definitely the smell of tire smoke lol, miss that.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Welcome to SVTP!

Don't get in a hurry to buy one when you get your cash together. Take your time and you may find one already 'built' the way you want giving you the HP your looking for. You see a lot more 'built' cars today than you did the first few years these were made. Don't assume that just because it's 'built' it's been abused. Some here believe anything that has more than a aftermarket short throw shifter on it, it's been abused and beat on. As with any car check it out or pay someone to check it out mechanically.

Good luck with your search!

Dand77

Thanks Snake I appreciate it, and that's too true with some owners. I would love to get my hands on a lightly modified one, that would be great and get me on track, I saw one on ebay that has around 800whp, which would be great, but I think I would probably have my hands full for a little bit driving that car, not that I wouldn't buy it, but would take some easing into.

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
Welcome to the terminator community. Motors dont really fail as long as they are tuned right and taken care of. The factor tranny comes with a 10 Spline input shaft which fails pretty easy. Upgrade to a 26 Spline and your good to go. The irs requires some attention if you want it to live at the track.

Woody6799

Established Member
If your goal is 6-700 hp with a turbo, there are guys doing that at 90% stock. You will need to run a few modest fuel upgrades (injectors, BAP, pumps) and 600 is a piece of cake... that's where the real projects start. Once you start going over 600 you need to really start upgrading to have a reliable monster. It all really depends on what you want to use it for...

I would start here...
-Full length sub frame connectors
-IRS Bushing Kit
-Diff Cover
-ID1000
-Lethal Budget return fuel system
-26 Spline input shaft
-Aftermarket Clutch
-Afco DP heat exchanger
-170 tstat

Should give you a solid foundation that would be good for 700+

Last edited:

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
Fore Innovations fuels systems are the best imo. If your gonna do it might as well do right. Trbovnm on here is a vendor for alot of the big brands and can really help you out

cj428mach

Established Member
Fore Innovations fuels systems are the best imo. If your gonna do it might as well do right. Trbovnm on here is a vendor for alot of the big brands and can really help you out

I agree fore all the way.

With proper cooling mods, and tune 7-800rwhp is certainly possible.

Users who are viewing this thread