Hellcat Replacement

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
why is the 6.2L raptor even in this conversation? They are cool, tough looking and great offroad but this is not a fast truck by any stretch. A plain jane f150 depending on options is faster than a raptor.

if you want to trade in the hellcat, save some cash and drive a reliable 400hp sedan the only option is the charger SRT-392 or scatpack. The CTS-V would put you worse off money wise. You would pay the cadillac tax on maintenance, higher insurance and depreciation will be higher.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
My first Raptor I sold with 78k miles on the clock. No issues other than a wire to the o2 sensor getting messed up(400 bucks). No issues with the drivetrain, suspension engine etc.

My second Raptor (2013) has a roush SC and exhaust. No issues so far.

I would say they are fairly reliable. Only seen a handful of issues with the engine or transmission(over 100k miles the few I've seen)

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
aren't you kind of comparing apples to oranges with a raptor and a cts-v?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Whats really gonna go wrong? I got 220k miles on my Charger and the only thing I've ever done is brakes, sway bar links and water pump. I doubt the tranny or motor will ever fail in ur car ever in ur life so who give a shit about a warranty at this stage. Jus drive the dam thing!

Jefe

Established Member
If I’m reading and mapping the financial elements in play correctly, at most you may free up $150 a month switching out and down to a cts-v, but more so you’ll be in an equity in hand position of maybe $5k to 10k in hand.
I'll be freeing up about $250/mo as well as about $16K equity. I stole this Hellcat when I bought it and its only dropped about $3K since late 2016.

Resale value in 3-5 years dramatically favors the hellcat vs a 5-10 year old ctsv. I’d guess $15-20k vs $25-30k at that point. That $10k difference then will still be like $8k today.
Agree on the HC value holding better. The Charger books for about $50K right now. In the entire country there are less than 20 for sale and only 2 private party, both over book.

I am leaning towards the Raptor which shouldn't drop but a few thousand and be easiest to sell
maintenance and repair cost. The CTS-v may be trouble free, but it is also out of warranty or needs one, and will likely have been driven hard. Likely to have $3-5k in repairs over a 5 year window. If you plan to buy a warranty regardless, then definitely keep the hellcat.
Agree, need a warranty on a supercharged anything.
even though insurance costs are higher for the new car, they aren’t dramatically higher, but here is one huge benefit. You have equity in the hellcat, and it’s gaining monthly as your payment is likely higher than it’s depreciation rate. Let’s say it gets totaled. You walk out cash in hand. With the V, the lower monthly rate is great for saving $20 if that, but in the event of a totaled vehicle, you are basically even.

I’d still just get the extended warranty, and carry on. If your payment is high enough to make the difference of a $30-40k car a viable monthly boon of say $150-200/month, I’m guessing you financed about $50k and got $18-20k trade in from the cobra. Your payment has to be pretty ugly right now, but you’ll probably pay it off in 2-3 years and are ahead of the equity fall. The sacrifices today will be worth the harvest tomorrow when you can sell this car or trade it in for $25-30k in hand.

The high current payment does suck but in just a year, you’ll gain back in equity what the warranty cost 5 fold. Peace of mind easy driving with 707hp for 3-5 more years is a no brainer to me. You could always refinance the payment in half or what not if it’s killing you but I’d say just tighten up $150-200 somewhere else like cutting off the local restaurant 3 times a month or telling the lemonaide stand kids to quit flossing ya, or stop paying for cable tv, etc.
Great points, thank you. The longer I keep the Hellcat and try to limit the miles, the more I can walk away with for sure. Its my daily driver but I've only put 11K miles on it over the past 18 months.

If I keep it until next May it will be 4 years old with about 33k miles. It might drop $5K in value and I walk away with $19-20K. Keep it another year, drops another $5K, I walk away with about $21K.

I can't imagine we will see sub 45K mile Hellcat Chargers under $38K in the next 2 years. So $2-3K a year in equity if the values holds.

I should just buy a 90K+ mile well kept Terminator in the teens and eliminate my entire car payment haha
aren't you kind of comparing apples to oranges with a raptor and a cts-v?
No question. I will be bored to death like I was in the SRT Jeep haha
why is the 6.2L raptor even in this conversation? They are cool, tough looking and great offroad but this is not a fast truck by any stretch. A plain jane f150 depending on options is faster than a raptor.
Oh I know. But no way in hell Im getting a 5.4 Raptor or forking over more money for the new ecoboost version. I would be getting the Raptor for the looks and suspension. Our roads are not the best and there are plenty of places to have some fun with the truck. I have never had something with more than 7-8" of ground clearance. The Bronco will but it will be a cruiser and not an offroader.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Whats really gonna go wrong? I got 220k miles on my Charger and the only thing I've ever done is brakes, sway bar links and water pump. I doubt the tranny or motor will ever fail in ur car ever in ur life so who give a shit about a warranty at this stage. Jus drive the dam thing!
In 18 months I've only changed front brake pads and tires. Rear tires are coming up again soon so theres $850 every year. I have been to the dealer for 3 fuel/spark issues all covered under warranty. Ive been very fortunate to not have any issues like others have. The supercharger is $13K, the exhaust actuators are $400 each, the fuel problems above would have been $1K+, the driveshaft is $900, the half shafts are $1K, front rotors and pads are $2K...The warranty will no question pay for itself

Its never stranded me and is an absolute monster of a car. I know Ill regret selling it but I can always get another if I go this route

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I like the options of sell hell cat and buy 03 cobra or maybe a nice c6 z in cash with extended warranty, put $850/mo into the worlds 13th biggest LEGO collection, or well anything of value besides a car.

But if that’s too big a sacrifice to go back 15 years in the car game, then hellcat/warranty is my advice for an awesome car on a modest enough budget mainly because it will be a very in demand/high value car in 3 years.

If you had a zl1 I would tell you to run from it like a black widow. I love the zl1 but for whatever reason it doesn’t hold resale value. It’s a fantastic car in need of some honest appreciation.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
S3 with APR tune? Can be had around $30k

Any idea on which Dodge dealers like to give nice lease rates on HC? Best I have gotten so far is $790 a month. Far cry from the guys getting $500-600.

Just went to Dodge and built a Hellcat with most of the options. Not sure why you're getting such a high lease rate, but this is what the website showed me:
E0D5C7EC-95BA-4D4A-AC57-7D3E53AD0F0D.png

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Because he doesn't want to put down $7200?
Jefe, I've thought of swapping my Charger for a used GT350 and super cheap lease F150 or Ram just because I miss shifting gears.
I think you'd hate most things after driving one of these beasts as a DD.
Comfortable suspension/interior, decent mileage and killer power whenever you want.
I haven't priced mine yet but it's a '16 with 15k.
It's a lease at $550 for 3yr/36k, only second time I've leased, so not too experienced with them.
-J

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Because he doesn't want to put down $7200?
Jefe, I've thought of swapping my Charger for a used GT350 and super cheap lease F150 or Ram just because I miss shifting gears.
I think you'd hate most things after driving one of these beasts as a DD.
Comfortable suspension/interior, decent mileage and killer power whenever you want.
I haven't priced mine yet but it's a '16 with 15k.
It's a lease at $550 for 3yr/36k, only second time I've leased, so not too experienced with them.
-J

Black92 was quoting the tire kicker NeverEnough, not OP.

OP...the answer is new (or used) s550 mustang with a blower.

Faster than your HC for much cheaper.

I know you said you wanted 4 seats but then you also said 2 door CTSV so......?

fangstang

Established Member
Funny, I'm considering trading in my 6.2 Raptor for a Jeep GC SRT and leasing a Hellcat Challenger WB. My truck has been flawless in the 6yrs I've owned it. 2012 S-cab w/43k miles.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
The only two vehicles that excite me right now are a 6.2 Raptor or a 2nd Gen CTS-V with 25-45k miles. Are both of those fairly reliable?

My 2012 6.2 Raptor was pretty good the 5 years I had it. The biggest problem was rusted out rocker panels which is the main reason I traded it in on my 2018. Other issues I had included a failed window motor, clogged cat, numerous air bag lights from moving seats too far forward or back. This was in the 91k miles I put on it.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Just went to Dodge and built a Hellcat with most of the options. Not sure why you're getting such a high lease rate, but this is what the website showed me:
B/c that says $7k down. Who wastes $7k down on a lease? I'll do 1st mo & tags, no more. Many folks did that & got 500-600. I guess those deals are gone. Oh well!

Never_Enough

Established Member
Funny, I'm considering trading in my 6.2 Raptor for a Jeep GC SRT and leasing a Hellcat Challenger WB. My truck has been flawless in the 6yrs I've owned it. 2012 S-cab w/43k miles.
Let me know what lease rates you get quoted

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Kind of a weird lopsided comparison.

Who says I will drive either a HelloKitty, Raptor, or CTS-V.

HelloKitty = Big Fast Boat on a bajillion year old chassis
Raptor = I wanna run shit over with a bed
CTS-V= Supercharged LS at it's best

If you even remotely need a truck, you can't beat a Raptor. Not to mention, you could down the road pick up a project car/performance car and tow it to the track with the Raptor. Best thing I ever did was buy my TRD Taco and it's been extremely useful. It's no Raptor but the usefulness of a pickup is beyond a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread