Hellcat Replacement

Jefe

Established Member
Warranty is about up on the Charger Hellcat and Im having impure thoughts about selling it. I could buy an extended warranty but I need to free up some cash for a business move and Im in the middle of my Classic Bronco build. Selling the Charger would net me more than I put into it plus I could drastically cut my car payment down

The only two vehicles that excite me right now are a 6.2 Raptor or a 2nd Gen CTS-V with 25-45k miles. Are both of those fairly reliable?

Anything else I should be considering? Need 400+ HP and 4 seats. Don't even think about saying Chevy SS

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Isn't the 2 vehicles you mentioned and your Hellcat worth about the same? Out of the 3 I'd keep the Hellcat.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
If the Charger is perfect and you want to save some coin, would you step down to a Scat Pack Charger?

Otherwise, a tuned SHO/MKS would be a reasonable DD that will save you a little more money.

Jefe

Established Member
3rd Gen CTS-V with 25-45k miles? :)
That kind of defeats the purpose of selling the Hellcat haha. Trying to stay under $40K

How do you like your 2012? Any issues? Mileage? That bump in HP from 93 to E85 is amazing
Isn't the 2 vehicles you mentioned and your Hellcat worth about the same? Out of the 3 I'd keep the Hellcat.
Im seeing Raptors between $32k and $40K that would work and CTS-Vs between $35-42K. Hellcat is over $50K
If the Charger is perfect and you want to save some coin, would you step down to a Scat Pack Charger?
Otherwise, a tuned SHO/MKS would be a reasonable DD that will save you a little more money.
It would be tough to step down to a Scat Pack but its an option. Id either like a nicer interior or something that eats up bad roads

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Buy $3500 high quality extended warranty for hellcat. Delete this thread.

You won’t get more car than a hellcat for the money you want to spend, and reliability wise, hellcats are pretty robust.

I actually think the hellcat is a pretty good evolutionary ethos of the terminator cobras. It handles good enough, but goes great in a line and is overbuilt from the factory, good approachable blue collar price, etc.

Dinosgt

Established Member
Warranty is about up on the Charger Hellcat and Im having impure thoughts about selling it. I could buy an extended warranty but I need to free up some cash for a business move and Im in the middle of my Classic Bronco build. Selling the Charger would net me more than I put into it plus I could drastically cut my car payment down

The only two vehicles that excite me right now are a 6.2 Raptor or a 2nd Gen CTS-V with 25-45k miles. Are both of those fairly reliable?

Anything else I should be considering? Need 400+ HP and 4 seats. Don't even think about saying Chevy SS

My gen-2 CTS V has been a blast. Can pick a nice one up for mid thirties.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Jefe

Established Member
My gen-2 CTS V has been a blast. Can pick a nice one up for mid thirties.
Thats amazing and I absolutely love the coupe

2014-Cadillac-CTS-V-Coupe-front-three-quarters-in-motion-04.jpg

jrandy

Established Member

You won’t get more car than a hellcat for the money you want to spend, and reliability wise, hellcats are pretty robust.

I actually think the hellcat is a pretty good evolutionary ethos of the terminator cobras. It handles good enough, but goes great in a line and is overbuilt from the factory, good approachable blue collar price, etc.

I agree with this. Drop a few bucks on the extended warranty and drive the piss out of it.

CV355

_
Established Member

This.

Jefe

Established Member

Im actually getting quotes for Mopar backed warranties under $1,500 for 5 years. But thats just more out of pocket and the same car payment when I need to free up cash. I basically put my 04 Cobra in as a down payment on this thing and I can sell it now and net more money than I put into it a year and a half ago

Mine has never stranded me in 13K miles and I will be getting another one in late 2019

helloWorld

Established Member
How do you like your 2012? Any issues? Mileage? That bump in HP from 93 to E85 is amazing

I love my 2012. Absolutely the best and most versatile vehicle that I have ever owned. It currently has 65,000 miles on it. The engine and drivetrain and pretty bulletproof and reliable, after all it is the LS platform. The only issue I am having is some of the suspension stuff is getting worn and it will not be that cheap to replace.

Blown motors love E85 :D

Never_Enough

Established Member
S3 with APR tune? Can be had around $30k

Any idea on which Dodge dealers like to give nice lease rates on HC? Best I have gotten so far is $790 a month. Far cry from the guys getting $500-600.

Jefe

Established Member
New Mustang 5.0 with Supercharger. 700HP for under $40K with 4 seats.
Mustangs have never had 4 seats
S3 with APR tune? Can be had around $30k
Any idea on which Dodge dealers like to give nice lease rates on HC? Best I have gotten so far is $790 a month. Far cry from the guys getting $500-600.
I do like the Audis but no clue on maintenance

I wouldn't lease one. Buy mine...

Never_Enough

Established Member
Mustangs have never had 4 seats

I do like the Audis but no clue on maintenance

I wouldn't lease one. Buy mine...
If I can get one of those $500-600 deals I'm leasing it right now. As much as I want to keep whatever I get this time logn term, I know I won't.
I'm looking for PCP or GoMango w/auto trans, sunroof & HK stereo. Sunroof, auto trans & HK are a must. MAYBE another color if a super deal, but no black or silver

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Im actually getting quotes for Mopar backed warranties under $1,500 for 5 years. But thats just more out of pocket and the same car payment when I need to free up cash. I basically put my 04 Cobra in as a down payment on this thing and I can sell it now and net more money than I put into it a year and a half ago

Mine has never stranded me in 13K miles and I will be getting another one in late 2019

If I’m reading and mapping the financial elements in play correctly, at most you may free up $150 a month switching out and down to a cts-v, but more so you’ll be in an equity in hand position of maybe $5k to 10k in hand.

I’d still keep the hellcat and get the warranty for the following reasons:

•Resale value in 3-5 years dramatically favors the hellcat vs a 5-10 year old ctsv. I’d guess $15-20k vs $25-30k at that point. That $10k difference then will still be like $8k today.
•maintenance and repair cost. The CTS-v may be trouble free, but it is also out of warranty or needs one, and will likely have been driven hard. Likely to have $3-5k in repairs over a 5 year window. If you plan to buy a warranty regardless, then definitely keep the hellcat.
•even though insurance costs are higher for the new car, they aren’t dramatically higher, but here is one huge benefit. You have equity in the hellcat, and it’s gaining monthly as your payment is likely higher than it’s depreciation rate. Let’s say it gets totaled. You walk out cash in hand. With the V, the lower monthly rate is great for saving $20 if that, but in the event of a totaled vehicle, you are basically even.

I’d still just get the extended warranty, and carry on. If your payment is high enough to make the difference of a $30-40k car a viable monthly boon of say $150-200/month, I’m guessing you financed about $50k and got $18-20k trade in from the cobra. Your payment has to be pretty ugly right now, but you’ll probably pay it off in 2-3 years and are ahead of the equity fall. The sacrifices today will be worth the harvest tomorrow when you can sell this car or trade it in for $25-30k in hand.

The high current payment does suck but in just a year, you’ll gain back in equity what the warranty cost 5 fold. Peace of mind easy driving with 707hp for 3-5 more years is a no brainer to me. You could always refinance the payment in half or what not if it’s killing you but I’d say just tighten up $150-200 somewhere else like cutting off the local restaurant 3 times a month or telling the lemonaide stand kids to quit flossing ya, or stop paying for cable tv, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread