HD DVD player $98.00 at walmart

SNCBOOM

Established Member
My dad is supposed to get this tomorrow so we'll see how it looks on his tv. I've been meaning to take my 360 to their house to play halo. Kinda weird but my dad enjoys it and he's not too bad really.

Supernova

Established Member
while this sounds like a great deal, im sure the prices on these will be dropping like rocks within the next month (not these $100 ones). i sold electronics for a few years and have watched the price patterns carefully. the prices really dont ever go back up. its not like these will be $200 again at walmart next month. if you keep an eye on the sunday ads up until Christmas, im sure you'll see other ones dropping in price as well. this one just jumped out early. there's probably a better version of these HD dvd players just around the corner that are going to be released soon. they did the same thing with dvd players. first came the basic ones and then they kept coming out with better and better models. i have a bunch of dvd movies that i dont even watch as it is, so im definitely in no hurry to upgrade everything. i watch more tv and play games, more than i do watch dvds. i can wait until they hit $50, which will probably be in 6 months to a year.

While I agree the prices will continue to drop, I believe this player just had a price cut to roughly $199 at most retailers--this was basically a Wal-Mart special.

Supernova

Established Member
im so weary of almost any electronic aside from game consoles at wal-mart. Everything they seem to carry doesn't exist anymore or it's made in a subdivison that's not even listed in the manual.

For instance, call up almost any number in the owners manual of 1/2 of their electronics...it'll either lead you to a buisness that doesn't exist anymore or sold out like 5 years ago. Laugh if you will but there is A LOT of this going on with wally world. They have to be able to sell for dirst cheap for a reason!

I'm roughly guessing that my last electronic i bought from there lasted about 2 years.

good price, bad rep :shrug:

They're able to sell cheap because of the buying power that they have. The Toshiba is a good player that was $500 when it came out about a year ago or so.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
1. Walmart will take it back at the sale price if anything ever happens to it no questions asked. 2. You get 5 free HD DVD's that you DONT have to return if anything happens to the player. So...all in all...a great deal regardless what happens. -Shane:beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Just picked mine up, walmart had 3 left. The deal with the 5 DVD's was for the $300 player, not the cheap one. Either that or I got ripped big time.

Lightningfr

Banned
actually if you really compare the price's wal mart screw's you on alot of impulse items..

but some things really are cheap and they take a loss on some products just to get you in the store only buy a couple things from them...

Supernova

Established Member
your a douche bag

wal mart = crap

guess i shouldnt bad mouth wal mart infront of the poor ass hicks :lol:

No, you should just not open your mouth when you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

As was stated earlier, it is the SAME model that is/was sold at Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfield, Sound Advice, Tweeter, etc, but for about $100 less. Check it out:
$228 at Tweeter
HD-A2 at Circuit City
You get the picture...

Maybe you should do some research before you open your mouth and make yourself look like an ignorant jackass to everyone on this forum.

Last edited:

Lightningfr

Banned
No, you should just not open your mouth when you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

As was stated earlier, it is the SAME model that is/was sold at Best Buy, Circuit City, Crutchfield, Sound Advice, Tweeter, etc, but for about $100 less. Check it out:
$228 at Tweeter
HD-A2 at Circuit City
You get the picture...

Maybe you should do some research before you open your mouth and make yourself look like an ignorant jackass to everyone on this forum.

dumb shit...
cuz that model says 1080i! that is not 1080p witch means its not true hd nor the same quality of blue ray... my point exactly so why dont you get that tampon out of your ass cuz you dont know wtf your talking about

have fun with the low end pos equipment loser.....

you still dont know jack shit about electronics so have fun with your shitty set up.. :loser:
but i guess it looks good on your 12 inch tv you wont be able to tell the diff

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Welp, my 32" LCD tops out at 720p so its perfect for me. I watched "Smokin' Aces" on it last night and the picture is crazy clear. Easily worth the $100.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Far as I canm tell the PS3 with blueray and HD is the best bang on the market. I plan on getting that when I get my 42" LCD. But this thing..sure beats the crap out of my malfunctioning Pioneer 5 disc dvd player from 5 years ago! Plus getting 5 free hd dvds..its was pretty much free-Shane

Last edited:

JDStud6

Established Member
umm...umm....So you honestly believe if you buy something from walmart it's crap? Even if its the same identical thing you can buy at Best Buy for or Circuit City for 20% more?

interesting

JD

Supernova

Established Member
dumb shit...
cuz that model says 1080i! that is not 1080p witch means its not true hd nor the same quality of blue ray... my point exactly so why dont you get that tampon out of your ass cuz you dont know wtf your talking about

have fun with the low end pos equipment loser.....

you still dont know jack shit about electronics so have fun with your shitty set up.. :loser:
but i guess it looks good on your 12 inch tv you wont be able to tell the diff

You are the dumbest muther****er on the internet! Here's why:

First of all, I've already proven all your arguments to be bunk with facts and sources, but you still try to come back and argue your worthless point.

Secondly, 1080i IS "true HD." HD is 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Second, I never said anything about what it was capable of--I stated that the Toshiba is a "good player." Just because it doesn't do 1080p doesn't mean that it isn't worth $98. If you have a 1080p TV and you watch a 1080i program, what you're seeing IS STILL DISPLAYED PROGRESSIVELY! Your TV deinterlaces the 1080i signal and then displays it progressively. The VAST majority of HDTVs sold to this point are NOT 1080p TVs anyway--1080p has really only come on in the last year to year and a half. So there's a lot of HDTV owners on this website that will be able to take full advantage of the Toshiba player for less than a hundred bucks.

Instead of resorting to acting like a child on the internet, perhaps you should re-read my posts and try to respond with actual facts. I've proven you wrong time and time again so unless you can come up with anything worthwhile to say, I'm done proving you wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread