Harley Guys

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Nah, never ridden a rigid. I've mainly just ridden dirt bikes to tell you the truth.

Dirt riding is a GREAT start. It teaches you alot without getting banged up too bad.

IMHO Nothing is prettier than a true rigid frame Harley. :bowdown: BUT! They beat the shit out of you.

A working suspension is the way to go.:rockon:

SVT8U

Established Member
Nah, never ridden a rigid. I've mainly just ridden dirt bikes to tell you the truth.

rigid.... pavement tire shock fram your ass in that order

normal bikes.... theres a shock and spring in that equation that makes you ass a whole lot happier.

youll be hating life if you try and ride a rigid on any interstae ive ever been on, or surface streets for that matter, for more than an hour. Every bump goes straight to your teeth.

looks hella cool though but good luck riding alot of miles

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Honestly, the bigger bikes don't really do anything for me. I'm really digging the guys that are turning their Sportsters into old-school Bobbers. I'm trying to find information on converting the Sportster to a rigid frame. I believe Biltwell sells replacement bars for the shocks that basically turn it into a rigid.

BIG MISTAKE! :nono: I've been riding Harleys for almost 40 years. Keep the shocks inplace.
You can lower it. But don't remove the shocks. You won't be happy.

92z28

Established Member
I just got a 2009 1200 sporty. It was my first bike and I had zero knowledge of riding prior to my purchase now I have 600 miles on my bike and love every second of it.

Don't listen to the "a sportster is not a harley talk" if anybody says that to you ask them if they want to race their geezer glide against a 1200 sporty from what I hear that shuts them up in a hurry.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Dude, I got my Vstar 650 new for 5500 out the door. It is my first bike. It is not quick, but it looks damn good. I was looking for something that looked good but wasn't too much too learn on. I like Harley's, but the metric bikes are definitely more bang for your buck. You don't start getting things like hidden shocks on Harley's until you get a soft tail. My $5500 650 has one. There are three Sporties where I work, and to be honest, when sitting next to my Yamaha, they don't look like they should cost a couple grand more. You REALLY pay for the name on a Harley

Yeah I got the Silverado edition with every bell and whistle available on the smaller CC bikes. Windscreen, bags, sissy seat. Honestly don't know how much past a year I am gonna keep this bike. I would like a somewhat larger CC bike and not sacrifice gas mileage. The gearing for this thing is just too low. I feel like the bike is really working on the freeway and it scares me a little. Another gear and I would probably keep it for a long time just because I could ride it on the freeway.

hunterp

Established Member
Damn VenomousSVT, hands down the best looking V-Rod I've seen yet. Love what you did with the front handlebars and modification to the rear end. Really nicely done. Makes me want one even more :)

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
lol

maybe to you youbadassvrodridinmofoyou ;)

ive got some pics on my home computer of me on the bike... looks about like every other dude riding a harley. :dancenana:

I just wanna upgrade to the bigger bike so I can put the girly on the back and its so much more power. my bike has asolo seat and I dunno if im gonna get the 2 up or what. Ive already order my mustang solo, well just see how persistent she s about riding with me

:rolling:

hell i pratically lay down on my tank with my current bar setup

here is a really old pic of me on the bike befoe removing the fender and lowering the front
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zmaerdstyle/1527921962/in/set-72157600309252635/

SVT8U

Established Member
I just got a 2009 1200 sporty. It was my first bike and I had zero knowledge of riding prior to my purchase now I have 600 miles on my bike and love every second of it.

Don't listen to the "a sportster is not a harley talk" if anybody says that to you ask them if they want to race their geezer glide against a 1200 sporty from what I hear that shuts them up in a hurry.

race em from a dig. 1200 sporty is awesome on the holeshot

they will take you from a roll 40-50ish and up... more power and the 6 speed helps alot with that. or just make sure to shut down around 100-115 because they will be catchin up in a hurry :lol:

plus my bike is naked... no windsheild or fairings. bigger bikes also got me on aerodynamics but not to sure how much that helps

SVT8U

Established Member
:rolling:

hell i pratically lay down on my tank with my current bar setup

here is a really old pic of me on the bike befoe removing the fender and lowering the front
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zmaerdstyle/1527921962/in/set-72157600309252635/

damn lol

is that comfortable?

Ill tuck if its high wind or im going over 85.... wind gets kinda brutal then and ive got no protection or any kinda windsheild to help with drag. id imagine I might look pretty dumb fully tucked on a sportster but who care. im going so fast by then im blowing by everyone and I only look dumb for a second :lol::burnout:

at least im not like this yet... but im woking on it for the good ole 100 mph trips to work in the morning when traffic is light

capture1014200482331_am.jpg

:-D

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
race em from a dig. 1200 sporty is awesome on the holeshot

they will take you from a roll 40-50ish and up... more power and the 6 speed helps alot with that. or just make sure to shut down around 100-115 because they will be catchin up in a hurry :lol:

plus my bike is naked... no windsheild or fairings. bigger bikes also got me on aerodynamics but not to sure how much that helps

Now thats funny, Shutdown at 115 lol. That is the top speed of a stock Big twin. Give or take. and who cares. There cruisers.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
I love the VRod bikes. Not many other harleys really get me going. They are look almost exactly the same as the Metric bikes like the V-Star, VTX, Boulevard, etc. You can get a really good metric bike first for a really good price. Then you can always move up to a Harley later if you want. As for starting with a small bike first...I have only been riding for just over 1 year and I currently have a 1800cc monster of a bike and I love it. I say get what you like and feel comfortable getting. Yes Harley bikes have come down in price a good bit but still don't compare to the price of a metric bike. For example in comparison. My bike would be compared to a VRod Sreamin Eagle, my bike cost 10,900 OTD, Harley website says VRod SE I am sure is closer to 20k.

snakecharmer

Established Member
I'll thow in another vote for the V-Rod. My 06 is my first bike. I learned to ride on it (after taking the MSF course). It's a very easy bike to handle IMO. Of all the vehicles I own, the last one to ever leave the garage is my Screaming Eagle V-rod. I love it.

I recently added a 2008 Rocker to the stable. Very different from the V-rod. Probably not one I would suggest as a starter bike, but definitely a good one to move up to once you have some experience.

DSCN2996s.jpg

DSN3250S.jpg

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
if it has wheels and makes noise its gonna get raced man :rockon::-D:-D

Eh, When I am on a Harley I could care less about speed. I just kick back and enjoy the air on my face and the sound of a twin. When I want to Fly I ride Mine and enjoy the sound of a screaming twin at 11000 RPM's. LOL. I haven't cruised in years. I built some pretty Gnarly FXR's. This thread has me thinking about finding another one. My wife thanks you. (she hates when I spend money.) Who ever built this FXR is ok in My book. I think they just have the Best lines of all the HD's. I wish they would have stuck around.

1990_harley_davidson_fxr_greg.jpg

Last edited:

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
If I was single I'd have a V-rod like VenomousSVT But I'm married so the wife needs comfort. I went with a 2007 Screamin Eagle road king.
110" 1800cc $32k comes decked out and will run. Sorry I don't have a good pic of the bike.
MichelleSE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread