Harley Guys

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
I know there are a lot of bike threads being started, but they're all for sport bikes.

I'm looking at getting a 1200 Sportster. I've talked to some other guys who ride Harleys and say that I'll get tired of the Sportster real quick. It'll be my first bike, but I was just wondering your guys' opinion on the subject. In the meanwhile, I'll be doing some research.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
PS - I pulled this picture off of XLForums.net from a member named Gary. This is the kind of look and style I want.

back_n_black_3.gif

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
The Sportster 1200 is plenty bike for a beginner or experienced rider. If you were starting with an 883 Hugger, I might suggest something bigger as you can run out of fun in a hurry with that. If you're researching, you'll find what you like soon enough. I bought my Dyna Wide Glide new in '00 and have loved every minute and mile we've been together. Good luck, have fun and keep the rubber side down.

shhak

Established Member
Get something besides a sportster. Hell alot of the harley guys around here won't even acknowledge a sportster as being a harley...

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
If I had the money I'd love a Nightster or a Nightrod. But I can pick up a 1200 Sportster around here for anywhere between $4500 and $7000. Plus for a first bike, I don't want anything too special. If I drop a Sportster, who cares? My plans for the bike are: flat black fenders/tank, pin-up girl painted on tank, ape hangers, white wall tires on spoked chrome rims, solo seat, and a rigid conversion.

Last edited:

SVT8U

Established Member
I dont post much over here anymore... but ill throw in my 2 cents as it might actually be useful to ya.

ive never ridden before..... always wanted a harley but figured I wasnt established enough to afford one. or at least a nice one.

one day I was dicking off on the internets, and came across a pic of a nightser. couple minutes of research and a couple 'woah' and 'nooo shit?' moments and within10 minutes id already sold myself

check em out man... sickest looking stock harley out there other than the night rod special (pictured above) its lowered (lowest seat height of any harley ever... like 25 inches) different shocks/ swingarm/ seat/ tank/ everythings blacked out etc.

the colors are hot too.... but for me BLACK is the ONLY color. ive seen some orange/black and silver/black ones running around but they dont hold a candle in person to the all black.

heres the nighster linkhttp://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2008_Motorcycles/2008_Motorcycles.jsp?locale=en_US

bt5.jpg

ive got these pipes coming for mine... in chrome. will be wrapped in black header wrap for the old scholl blacked out look. also coming are power commander air cleaner mustang seat and progressive shocks drag bars etc. Sould keep me content for another couple weeks lol (mod bug is as bad in bkes as cars lol)
bt1P1020664.jpg

heres some pics of my bike... bone stock when it was still under 1kmiles. ill get some good pics and start a thread when I get my parts on

139_0407.jpg

139_0408.jpg

139_0409.jpg

139_0410.jpg

139_0411.jpg

139_0412.jpg

139_0413.jpg

139_0414.jpg

SVT8U

Established Member
PS - I pulled this picture off of XLForums.net from a member named Gary. This is the kind of look and style I want.

back_n_black_3.gif

that bike is sick looking. thats my favorite style. blacked out bobber/old school chopper looking.

reason I went with the new nightser is its brand new. warranty. reliable. These new sporties are now FUEL INJECTED. Bigtime improvement in rideablility power and economy. no carb bs here. It doesn leak oil or rattle your teeth out like older bikes (nothin against them tho) and I still get 50-55 mpg riding civil. I cant seem to keep my wrist out of it and im always blasting around way too fast. Went on a cruise with my sport bike buddies and it 'keeps up' until over 90-100 and then its a different game with those. But stop light to stoplight this thing is a rocket. Cruising a whole tank wot and cruising on the highway at 100-110 for a whole tank I still got high 30's for mpg.

not a real harley? **** the haters. I love my bike. I bought it from harley, and I ride the shit out of it proudly. The dudes that say that are just jealous my bike came stock with everything it took them years and thusands of dollars to do and mines still better STOCK.

ive raced old dudes on their fully modded sporsters... havent lost yet. Raced a couple of the Big bike Big bore harleys and kicked the shit out of em till about 90-100 and then the big bikes pull too hard after that for me to stay ahead long. they have 6 gears and a shitload more power though.

They arent FAST but they get down and for sure arent boring to ride.

DO NOT get an 883, youll be wanting more in a week. 1200 has great power and the tourqe is amazing. Riding in traffic is a blast. Enough power to scare you and enough that you wont get bored quickly.

This thing handles great and while it wont hang with a sport bike in the twisties it still gets busy and im never left far behind my sportbiker buddies. I get alot of 'damn thought youd be waaaay back there, suprised youre still this close' remarks from them guys :)

1200 sporster as a first bike? perfect. It was my first and id never ridden. took it out and tought myself in a couple hours. been riding the shit out of it since. 2kmiles on my bike now and just got done with my MSF course. sportser is a great starter bike.

id have got a vrod or night rod special but dodnt want that big of a bike to learn on.

I DO NOT REGRET THIS PURCHASE AT ALL. 50X MORE FUN THAN MY 03 COBRA WAS.

I can ride to work all the time, ride all night after, all weekend etc when I was afriad to put miles on my cobra or break expensive parts. plus that gas bill sucks when you drive a fast car like it should be as much as I ride this thing balls out.

im not into sportbikes... you cant really race around on 16k rpm 150hp and 170mph all the time plus that riding position seems very uncomfortable to me. i like to cruise for a few hours, and hunched ovewr on your wrists the whole time on a sportbike needing a break every 45 minutes aint for me. nothing agianst them though, just not my cup o tea. I have way more fun like I am right now than I think I ever would on a crotch rocket.

my opinion.... DO IT MAN

buy that harely and dont look back. it WILL change your life.

4 wheels move the body.... 2 wheels move the soul

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
I have a Yamaha V-star 650. Yeah its slow, its not as pretty as those Harley's. I bought it for $7500 out the door, gets me ~50mpg, is comfortable to ride in the city. I would still like a slightly larger bike that is liquid cooled. My cousin bought a Honda Shadow 750. Looks great, goes pretty well, doesn't overheat you in traffic, and gets `50mpg. $7800 out the door brand new. Harleys are cool but I can't spend that much more money on a Harley when I can get a comparable Yamaha or Honda for half the price.

Edit: I have never had so much fun on the road as I do on my bike. I mostly ride it to work for the gas mileage (why I originally bought it) but will ride it pretty much as often as possible

Last edited:

kuruma

Established Member
I rented a harley for a few days. Thing was rattling all over the place after a 200 mile ride.

No thanks. I want to ride, not have to fix it every day.

For a cruiser I'd choose something like a victory. But I'd personally stay away from a Harley davidson for sure.

Although that vrod looks bad ass

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I know there are a lot of bike threads being started, but they're all for sport bikes.

I'm looking at getting a 1200 Sportster. I've talked to some other guys who ride Harleys and say that I'll get tired of the Sportster real quick. It'll be my first bike, but I was just wondering your guys' opinion on the subject. In the meanwhile, I'll be doing some research.

How tall are you? A Sporty may not be the right bike for you.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I rented a harley for a few days. Thing was rattling all over the place after a 200 mile ride.

No thanks. I want to ride, not have to fix it every day.

For a cruiser I'd choose something like a victory. But I'd personally stay away from a Harley davidson for sure.

Although that vrod looks bad ass

it depends on the Harley... some of the bike are counter balanced, most are isolated from the frame better now... the VROD is counter balanced and isolated. My mirrors dont move sitting at idle like the standard "shaker" big bike HD.

the VROD is definitely a very similarly set up bike to a metric bike...from someone that came from 10 years on sport bikes, I LOVE my VROD

kuruma

Established Member
it depends on the Harley... some of the bike are counter balanced, most are isolated from the frame better now... the VROD is counter balanced and isolated. My mirrors dont move sitting at idle like the standard "shaker" big bike HD.

the VROD is definitely a very similarly set up bike to a metric bike...from someone that came from 10 years on sport bikes, I LOVE my VROD

I took out a sportster. This was a few years back though. In 2005 i believe. After that experience it threw me away from them.

But if you say the quality is up then I have no basis to say otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread