Hardtop vs convertible?

gotjack

Established Member
My first cobra was a 04 hardtop and my current is a 03 convertible. Allways been a hardtop fan for looks and handling and safety but got a convertible this time Around since I’m older with kids and can enjoy the Chicago summer nights with the top down.

How many are hardtop fans and how many are convertible fans? And why so?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Saleen498

Established Member
Why not both??
Serious answer to the question, aesthetically I think the cobra looks better as a coupe however I definitely prefer a convertible. I am also 6ft1 and 235 so the coupe is a bit tight for me. This is why my project cobra is a coupe but my fun cruiser with cobra IRS and driveline is a convertible.

Venom351R

Established Member
Any Mustang I've ever bought has been a coupe. I don't have anything against vert's its just not what I like. When it comes to the Terminator's it's not something I would budge on, the perfect cobra in every aspect but being a convertible I'd still pass. And others say the same thing about coupes.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Coupe. I'm just not a vert guy. Mostly because of the maintenance. A buddy had a vert and towards the end it needed a new top and probably both cylinders. Plus I remember one time him and I were cruising in his car and the temp dropped radically. We were on the freeway so we had to find a spot to stop and put the top up. My wife's 06 was a vert and sometimes I enjoyed it, but it seemed to always have issues to the point even she doesn't want another one.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
they each have their pros and cons. coupe is tighter and more "racecar", but it's tough to beat an early evening topdown cruise

SVT_JP

Established Member
Historically I had been a coupe guy, It's best if you want to build a "race car", looks sharp, etc. However, I picked up a vert several years ago and love it. There's nothing like cruising with the top down, you can hear the rumble of the exhaust, the whine of the blower better, my kids love riding in it, it's just a more visceral experience when you drop the hammer. Also don't underestimate how much you can tighten up a convertible, I have the Stiflers FIT system, MM coilovers, and some additional front suspension and steering mods and this thing is TIGHT and responsive.

850SNCobra

Established Member
Never was a convertible guy until I got older and got my first vert. Like everyone else said, when cruising w/ the top down it's just something that hits me right in the feels. For me, it's the next best thing to riding my motorcycle.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
If there was ever a car that could make me contemplate buying a vert, it would be a Terminator. But I'm a coupe guy, always was.

Aesthetics are just too important to me. A vert's lines will never flow like a coupe's do. From a performance standpoint, I could live with a vert now as I'm getting older and speed doesn't hold the same value it used to. And top down evening cruises sound like a wet dream while I sit inside on this cold grey January day, but I still don't think I would buy one if there were clean coupes still available.

Just remembered something thing that bothers me about verts is you look and feel weird with another guy in the car. Bothers me every time a buddy and I take his c6 vert out for a spin. I like riding in the car, but don't want ANYONE to see me in it. That is a girl's only sport IMO.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In my lifetime I've owned one convertible. A 1966 Chevy Impala. Gift from my FIL back in the '70s because we needed a second car. Hated it with a passion. Being a big car, I always felt like I was in a parade when the top was down. Fortunately it died within 2 years. LOL. I personally would never own another convertible. I just don't like open air cruising/driving. A coupe or hardtop anything would be a must. Just my personal preference. As we can see in this thread, there are some diehard convertible lovers, and they should continue to be happy with their choices. It's all good! Different strokes for different folks!

gotjack

Established Member
Haha I wasn’t expecting so many reply’s . I loved my coupe and still wanted a coupe. I feel like since I’m older and now live in Chicago/suburbs area we only get max 6 months a year with good weather and half those are rainy days. So I felt a convertible would make sense for nice nights and also time with the kids to build memories. Glad everyone likes what they have and we’re one strong terminator family coupe or vert

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TK Doom

Established Member
I have one of each. Nighttime and daytime versions. =)

sometimes daytime car gets driven at night during the summer nights though...=D

Users who are viewing this thread