harbor freight tools

mnewxcv

Established Member
Like some of you who shop here, I got some memorial day coupons, including a 25% and a 20% off coupon. Was curious what tools from harbor freight is in your tool box? I am not a professional mechanic, and find their pittsburgh *pro* line to be of good enough quality for what I do for a lot of their tools. Others end up rusty without even being used. That being said, they have their place for tools I will not use frequently and want to save a few bucks. In addition to their tools, I was thinking of picking up one of their aluminum race jacks and a few jack stands. Anyone use their jacks? I can't remember which, but I know at least one of them is pretty well regarded.

MG0h3

Established Member
Stands are fine. Had their aluminum race jack for I don’t know how long and it’s starting to bypass internally but still gets the job done.

I don’t even know what hand tools they have but wouldn’t trust them.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

buffalosoldier

Established Member
I bought an angle grinder there and it broke putting on a wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I have their lo profile steel jack and it works fine. Their electrical is so so. For infrequent use they do the job. I love their tool box and welder cabinet.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I have two of their floor jacks and have never had a problem with either. I like to buy sockets and other random tools that I end up needing to complete a job from HF. Breaker bars are quite good for the price, ball joint separator, brake caliper piston screw-in tool, refrigerant vacuum and gauges, etc.

Only think that really gave me problems were some clamps I bought that have the little trigger to tighten them up. They wouldnt tighten enough like other brands Ive used.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Have to say I have had good luck with the light duty homeowner use HF stuff I have bought over the years.

mnewxcv

Established Member
The free 4 in one screwdriver (free as in they always have a coupon for them) are as good as most no name 4 in 1s. I've had good lock with the pittsburg pro socket set I've had for a few years, giving it moderate use. The 3/8" breaker bar is ok, but the 1/2" one is superior. The wired impact wrench is heavy and underpowered. The dual action polisher is as good as any other under $150 when mated with a good pad. I was using the angle grinder with a wire wheel for the first time and it did the trick, but it bogged down occasionally which surprised me for a relatively light load. LED headlamp (for your head) broke (doesn't work, or works when it wants to) so I tossed it. I needed a cut off tool for a single job, and it did great cutting through 1/4" steel.

That is my full experience! Think I will pick up the 3 ton steel low profile jack.

96dreamer

Established Member
I have had very good luck with most of the stuff i have got from harbor freight, i go there often. Hand tools like wrenches, sockets, ratchets are all lifetime warranty and in my opinion great purchases. I am not easy on my stuff, i'm not a professional either. I've also had pretty good luck with the air tools, i have an angle grinder, mini needler, impact, and sheetmetal saw. No complaints with anything.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I bought one of their Portland electric chainsaws a couple months ago for $37 after coupon. It's powered through some thick trunks and hasn't skipped a beat, well worth the small investment. Can't say the same for the electric pressure washer I bought last year, that didn't last an hour..

mnewxcv

Established Member
I bought one of their Portland electric chainsaws a couple months ago for $37 after coupon. It's powered through some thick trunks and hasn't skipped a beat, well worth the small investment.

good example of something you might only need for one job, and pays for itself instantly. When faced with the option of paying someone for labor vs buying a tool and doing it yourself, I always try to go the second route, and I get a free tool out of it!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
good example of something you might only need for one job, and pays for itself instantly. When faced with the option of paying someone for labor vs buying a tool and doing it yourself, I always try to go the second route, and I get a free tool out of it!
Exactly! renting a gas powered at Home Depot would have cost more AND I have to give it back, haha.. And I've made good use of the chainsaw, I go outside and mow stuff down about once a week. But it's getting to the point I gotta call a tree service for the rest, I need a couple removed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread