harbor freight tools

Reaper14

Established Member
I like the way they just let you return most of their tools with no questions asked. I've returned everything from a torque wrench to a worn allen socket set & they just hand me a new one. They opened one here just as Sears closed down so it helps out a lot.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have their low profile jack with the T-bar extension. Great for cars with pinch weld jacking points.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Harbor freight is great for tools you're going use a few times or don't need to make a living with. When I was trying to break the passenger side bolt on my H-pipe I need a impact swivel socket. Harbor Freight had it in stock, for $6.99, I bought two. Amazon had a Craftsman for like $50 and 2 days. Also socket organizers are $.99

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
You can’t beat HF for lots of items. Jack stands (3-ton and 6-ton) are a steal. Cabinets are very nice. Hand tools have been great for me. The Daytona jacks look really nice - I have an old non-HF jack going bad and I might grab a HF Daytona.

stang910

Established Member
I find a lot of the the stuff they sell is actually really good, of course they also have bad stuff, but you get what you pay for and it seems most of the time it pays off to try something from there. I've bought 2 aluminum jacks from HF, sold one after a couple years of use and bought a larger one and after many years it still works great. Won't hesitate to buy another when this one goes bad.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Light metal and thicker metal. I use these weekly. Buy a set and you will be impressed.

e3148c786db365ac73e17ad35db7bbe8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
Disposables and hand-tools, mostly... Dead-blow hammer, pry-bars, o-ring picks... Things you can't really screw up from a manufacturing perspective.

And honestly, their power tools aren't half bad either. I have a $20 polisher that I have beaten to hell and back. Still works. Their low-end drill press isn't precision at all but it works.

Their drill-bits are hit/miss. Some guys at work swear by them, others claim they dull out too quick.

The only thing I have bought from HF and had somewhat regret was their foam fatigue-matting. I bought 12 packs of them to line the floor for my reloading room. Opened the first one and holy cat-piss! The outgas from whatever Chinesethane they used was downright terrible. Figured it'd go away, opened a window, put the mats down, closed the door. Two weeks later it still smelled like cat piss. I left a review on their website but it was taken down. Once they stopped stinking (took two years), they're great!

mnewxcv

Established Member
Also really like my dual action orbital polisher...got it on sale for less than $50.

I posted up some YouTube videos a few years ago about some easy mods you can do to it. I plan on remaking the videos with a 4k camera soon. Also, I've heard the latest revision is unlike the old and may not be able to do the mods. I plan on picking one of the new ones up to tear down and follow up on that. The most essential mod by far is replacing the power cord with a longer one, like a 15 footer. I did 25ft of thick gauge extension cord and admit it is heavier than I'd like it to be when transporting it. Will be changing it to a 15 when I reshoot the how to.

96dreamer

Established Member
I completely forgot that while polishing my old truck my porter cable broke and i finished the whole thing with my buddies harbor freight da. This was a ccsb f250 so it got a good workout and never missed a beat. I'm also impressed with their tool boxes, ive got two under the workbench in the garage that i got on scratch and dent real cheap.

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Have their 20 ton press and bead blaster cabinet. Never had an issue with them

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Oh boy

I have their:

• Earthquake XT 1200lb FT electric impact
  • Pneumatic Die Grinder & Cut off wheel
  • Multimeter
  • OBD II Scan Tool
  • Pro Mechanics 130 pc set
  • Crescent Pliers sets
  • Screw Drivers
  • 1/2" swivel head 24" Ratchet
  • Impact sockets
  • Bearing and seal drivers
  • Power steering pulley tool
  • Brake line bender

Some other stuff too. It's a mix of HF and Cornwell/Gear Wrench/Kobalt/Craftsman for me.

• The Earthquake XT impact is extremely stout. I love it. It removed all of the IRS subframe bolts with zero effort.
  • The 1/2" Ratchet in 24" is probably my most requested "Can I borrow that?" tool. It is very well made and pretty much mirrors the snap-on. Wouldn't surprise me if it is without the name on it.
  • The OBD II scan tool has paid for itself multiple times
  • the Mechanics set I keep in the Truck/Fox as my travel set. Again- its paid for itself.
  • The Multimeter has worked well and I've had it for 5 years. I just recently replaced the original battery.
  • The pneumatic tools kind of suck. But I also forget to oil them all the time (derp).
  • I haven't broken a socket, screw driver, or pliers in the 7 years I've had them
Anyone telling you their stuff sucks is brand blind, unlucky, or really hard on tools/too stupid to use them.

GodStang

Established Member
This list of stuff from them we have destroyed can go on for years. If you know going in that they are disposable then they are fine. We have broken air compressors, sockets, screw drivers, rotary tool, drills, Air regulators, fittings, hoses, pulley pullers, and on and on and on. The jack stands are fine, the blasting cabinet is fine. Leaks like crazy but fine. Have a low profile jack and after some modding it it has held up for years.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I get less than a year out of their small aluminum jacks. Pieces of shit. But they are cheap and light. Ill just get a warranty next time.

I have a BUNCH of their Pittsburgh hand tools. I own metric and sae wrench sets, sockets, fine tooth racthets. Very good tools. I used to the same stuff when i worked at a tire place doing front end alighments. Their hand tools work fine and last a while if you use them properly. It's sad to here your average home user talk all sorts of trash talk about them. I just let them talk.

11 Pc Fully Polished Metric Long Handle Combination Wrench Set
11 Pc Fully Polished Metric Long Handle Combination Wrench Set

Those are the wrench sets I have. I chose long handle for leverage. You can get their sockets as well.

I recommend at least one set of these 7 Pc Impact Socket Adapter Set

I also recommend hammers, pry bars, braker bars, picks, c clamps, drill bits, magnetic bowl for loose bolts, swivels 1/4. 3/8 1/2 drive, extensions in 1/4. 3/8 1/2 drive. That's all stuff i own that works fine. I am forgetting some things.

I can not recommend any tool sets. The reason is, while they do come in a very nice all in one box, you will most likely add a ton more hand tools to your collection. I recommend buying a big tool chest. I will be buying a big tool chest this sooner or later. It wont move a lot in my shed so the tool chest will last a long time. It's worth 5-700. I refuse to pay 4-6k for a snap on.

blue 07

Established Member
Like yourself not a pro in the tool end but bought their 3 ton low profile jack and stands for a smoking price, no issues and works great !!

08mojo

Established Member
I like the way they just let you return most of their tools with no questions asked. I've returned everything from a torque wrench to a worn allen socket set & they just hand me a new one. They opened one here just as Sears closed down so it helps out a lot.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

And this is what kills the low prices and good return policy (for when it's truly needed).

I've been please with a lot of tools from Harbor Freight: jack, jack stands, impact gun, pry bars, some hand tools. You just have to be smart about what you buy--I don't think I'd trust their angle grinder with a spinning wheel of death. I go with a good, known quality brand for the tools that can kill or seriously injure me.

Users who are viewing this thread