Had to teach an Eclipse a lesson in Cobras

90GSXDan

Established Member
Hahahah nice kill!!! Showed that little pos DSM a lesson!!! :lol: :rockon:

Fastoldguy, thats a really nice fab job, I must say! Here is a custom header I have on my car, pretty solid setup. Im running a 6262, no slow DSM here :rockon:

IMG00042-20100515-1443.jpg

Dan :beer:

90GSXDan

Established Member
LMAO!! By the way Mo, I saw that post and just HAD to post it! :lol: By the way, thats 10 seconds... on straight 93 octane, so suck it! LMAO!!!!

Seriously tho, nice kill! Sounds like you got a spunky snake on your hand! :rockon:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
I am not sure why everyone is always in amazement when a "boosted" car makes power. It does not matter how many cylinders the car has. It is matter of how much cyclinder pressure is being made. If you add 20 to 30 lbs boost to a four cylinder of course it is going to make power. You can also do this to a lawn mower engine. It works great also. The problem with these motors though if they are not built up with some good parts and they want to run high boost to make any kind of rea power, then eventually they will fail.

So what is so amazing...you take a four cylinder and basically tear into it and replace everything with better parts and then throw tons of boost at it. I always said, the turbo is the ricer car's salvation. Prior to turbos being used, imports were the funny thing in town with the fart can and wing. I always wondered why it took so long to figure this out though. They should have just watched and learned from the Grand National which used the turbo years earlier. :idea:
Just my opinion...

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
I just find it impressive that they be made to push around 350 hp per cylinder out of that little 4 cylinder engine. That is a tough little block. Don't get me wrong Shelbys are not far behind in the 1/4 mile but they do have a 5.4 forced induction engine vs a 2.3 forced induction engine. Shelby have run 7.08 and a Eclipse has run 6.97. Of course Eclipses have been around longer than the modern Shelby but its got less than half the displacement to work with. Any way I respect what they can do. Not all engines can be made to take that abuse.

Last edited:

quikcobra

Established Member
^^ I agree that 4g63 is a animal they have tweeked it but still about the same. And if you have built one they are very basic. Throw cams, a 16g turbo, and surrporting mods you can have a 11sec car. Very tough little cars.

shifting at 6k is just about where you want to be, Well did you transplant a rotary in it?

I must be different because when I see someone showing their ass, ESP. with traffic around us and in front of us. The last thing I think of is racing this 115hp car with my "500" Hp car. I tend to stay behind incase something happens my car isnt involved.

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
what brand long tubes are you going with? think twice..i am ditching my L/Ts for ported stock manifolds courtesy of NA SVT...idk i just dont like em...but i am sure my power will suffer a little with the S/C

90GSXDan

Established Member
I am not sure why everyone is always in amazement when a "boosted" car makes power. It does not matter how many cylinders the car has. It is matter of how much cyclinder pressure is being made. If you add 20 to 30 lbs boost to a four cylinder of course it is going to make power. You can also do this to a lawn mower engine. It works great also. The problem with these motors though if they are not built up with some good parts and they want to run high boost to make any kind of rea power, then eventually they will fail.

So what is so amazing...you take a four cylinder and basically tear into it and replace everything with better parts and then throw tons of boost at it. I always said, the turbo is the ricer car's salvation. Prior to turbos being used, imports were the funny thing in town with the fart can and wing. I always wondered why it took so long to figure this out though. They should have just watched and learned from the Grand National which used the turbo years earlier. :idea:
Just my opinion...

I agree with you, except for the last part... That pretty much applies to every car you build, whether it be a V8/I4/I6/V6 doesnt matter, throw great parts in it, throw a turbo on with tons of boost, its going to make power. Your saying a turbo is a ricer's salvation, then what does that make the 03-04 Cobra's and the Shelby's? Considering they are making incredibly more power than many of the non boosted V8's on the market. :shrug:

By the way, FastOldMan, We use 2.0l, not 2.3's! :rockon: :thumbsup:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
I just find it impressive that they be made to push around 350 hp per cylinder out of that little 4 cylinder engine. That is a tough little block. Don't get me wrong Shelbys are not far behind in the 1/4 mile but they do have a 5.4 forced induction engine vs a 2.3 forced induction engine. Shelby have run 7.08 and a Eclipse has run 6.97. Of course Eclipses have been around longer than the modern Shelby but its got less than half the displacement to work with. Any way I respect what they can do. Not all engines can be made to take that abuse.

What I find really impressive is the Hp and Trq YOU are making in a 5.4 Liter Overhead cam motor. You are not making this Hp in a Big Block Chevy with 2-stages of NOS. You are doing this with a street car that you can drive around all day, sit in traffic and not overheat and probably run the 1/4 with your Air Condition on and still make a 10 sec pass. THAT is impressive.
If you remember not too long ago in say the late 80s early 90's, 275-300Hp was prett damn good as was running the 1/4 in the 13's. The power your are making was normally reserved for non-streetable race cars. Hell..I'll bet that you can use that car as a DD if you wanted to. :beer:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
I agree with you, except for the last part... That pretty much applies to every car you build, whether it be a V8/I4/I6/V6 doesnt matter, throw great parts in it, throw a turbo on with tons of boost, its going to make power. Your saying a turbo is a ricer's salvation, then what does that make the 03-04 Cobra's and the Shelby's? Considering they are making incredibly more power than many of the non boosted V8's on the market. :shrug:

By the way, FastOldMan, We use 2.0l, not 2.3's! :rockon: :thumbsup:

I was talking about a stroker that made around 1400 hp or 350 per cylinder.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
What I find really impressive is the Hp and Trq YOU are making in a 5.4 Liter Overhead cam motor. You are not making this Hp in a Big Block Chevy with 2-stages of NOS. You are doing this with a street car that you can drive around all day, sit in traffic and not overheat and probably run the 1/4 with your Air Condition on and still make a 10 sec pass. THAT is impressive.
If you remember not too long ago in say the late 80s early 90's, 275-300Hp was prett damn good as was running the 1/4 in the 13's. The power your are making was normally reserved for non-streetable race cars. Hell..I'll bet that you can use that car as a DD if you wanted to. :beer:

True:lol1:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
:shrug: Shows how much i know about those cars, lol. It was an older model but I'm pretty sure i heard a turbo, not sure how loud the stock ones are, but his muffler was fairly loud, so over my open bypass and loud-a** exhaust, and his exhaust, i couldn't hear much else. I could tell you most anything about a Mustang, but not so much on imports.

Well usually even a full 3" no-muffler exhaust wont be totally *loud*. Even one with a open wastegate dump. The turbo itself drowns and dampens alot of the crappiness and raspiness of a 4cyl. Ive heard alot of non-turbo's with just a catback being almost twice as loud as gst/gsx with a full catless 3" system.

Im curious, what exactly does your open bypass actually bypass? is it boost from your SC thus allowing you to control boost? If so, is this bleeding boost before or after your airflow sensor?

nice lol not a fan of them cars, but there cheap and easy to make fast, I belive a guy in my state holds a record for a stock turbo talon he runs I belive low 12's high 11's and its stock motor and turbo, I think his name is Phil Bears

Think theres another guy thats got into 11's on the stock 14b and motor and a certain monetary limit (seriously, IIRC its like $2k invested including the car itself). Just got cheap ass used parts or fabbed stuff himself. This was back in early 00's though, it had a special name like "Project Goodwill" or something. But its also FWD, which adds to its impressiveness.

Is Phil Bears "phil1320" on dsmtuners? His sig says 11.7's but hes AWD. From CT too though.

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
what brand long tubes are you going with? think twice..i am ditching my L/Ts for ported stock manifolds courtesy of NA SVT...idk i just dont like em...but i am sure my power will suffer a little with the S/C

I got a set of BBK long-tubes from a friend of mine. He decided to go turbo so he has no use for them. And I'm running an o/r BBK x pipe with them. I'm really not sure how a set of ported stock manifolds would perform but depending on your power level you will probably wont loose a huge amount.

Well usually even a full 3" no-muffler exhaust wont be totally *loud*. Even one with a open wastegate dump. The turbo itself drowns and dampens alot of the crappiness and raspiness of a 4cyl. Ive heard alot of non-turbo's with just a catback being almost twice as loud as gst/gsx with a full catless 3" system.

I'm curious, what exactly does your open bypass actually bypass? is it boost from your SC thus allowing you to control boost? If so, is this bleeding boost before or after your airflow sensor?

The Procharger bypass valve works similar to a blow off valve but it stays open under vacuum and closes when you hit 0 #'s of boost. A blow off valve stays closed until the throttle blade is closed and it releases the pressure. Same concept but different. It doesn't bleed boost, it just vents into atmosphere instead of bypassing back to the blowers inlet. I don't have any problems with boost bleeding off. It runs a steady 15-17#'s every time.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The Procharger bypass valve works similar to a blow off valve but it stays open under vacuum and closes when you hit 0 #'s of boost. A blow off valve stays closed until the throttle blade is closed and it releases the pressure. Same concept but different. It doesn't bleed boost, it just vents into atmosphere instead of bypassing back to the blowers inlet. I don't have any problems with boost bleeding off. It runs a steady 15-17#'s every time.

So then when you say:

so over my open bypass and loud-a** exhaust, and his exhaust, i couldn't hear much else.

What are you hearing from the open bypass? Hearing it suck in vacuum under ambient boost? If it closes when you reach ambient boost, youd hear nothing, correct?

Sorry if this isnt the thread. I dont know much of anything about centrifugal setups, but always assumed when people talk about a race bypass valve, they were essentially referring to what turbo guys call a "blowoff valve" or "bypass valve", since essentially a centrifugal blower and turbocharger are the same concept, just one is belt driven while the other is exhaust driven.

But most blowoff valves stay shut during vacuum, so that unmetered air does not enter the intake tract (unless the air sensor is after the valve, then it doesnt mantter) and cause a lean condition. If yours stays open during vacuum, and your air meter is before the valve, youll be pulling in unmetered air, unless your valve is before the air meter.

And just FYI, not all blowoff valves redirect back to the intake. Most are designed to vent to atmosphere, but only when the throttle plate is closed to let out all the pressurized air to save the compressor from damage from the shock of closing the throttle plate and the resulting pressure wave that gets forced back down the intake tract and to the compressor.

Does a centrifugal's bypass valve also open during shifts to save the compressor from the same damage?

00BlackGT

Established Member
Nice kill bud, I attend UNCC also, and live in thornberry right off mallard creek... i brought my procharged GT up here a few weeks ago and saw a few DSMs, one of i saw was a beast... had DRs on all 4s and i could smell race gas.

exdeath

Established Member
1400 HP from 2.3L? Don't forget a built V8 with the same kind of build up sees 2500+ HP. Not that it isn't cool either way, just saying it's nothing new. Stroked 4.6 with twins running 40 psi on a Big Stuff stand alone and meth injection, etc... just go to MMR's home page...

All HP/L is good for is measuring the stress and abuse of an engine.

Last edited:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
I love Mustangs so don't get me wrong but a stroker 4.6 stroked to 5.0L would have to make over 3040 hp not 2500hp to have the same power to displacement as a stroked to 2.3 L DSM. Its probably possible I would guess but the DSM deserves our respect none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread