Had to teach an Eclipse a lesson in Cobras

exdeath

Established Member
I love Mustangs so don't get me wrong but a stroker 4.6 stroked to 5.0L would have to make over 3040 hp not 2500hp to have the same power to displacement as a stroked to 2.3 L DSM. Its probably possible I would guess but the DSM deserves our respect none the less.

So throw a 500 shot multi stage direct port on it as well. All these 4 bangers making 1000+ HP invariably run E85 or C16, meth, nitrous, some massive squeeze, and god knows what else. :lol1:

True though, 4g63 definately earns it's place among any real car enthusiast no matter what you drive :burnout:

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
So throw a 500 shot multi stage direct port on it as well. All these 4 bangers making 1000+ HP invariably run E85 or C16, meth, nitrous, some massive squeeze, and god knows what else. :lol1:

Same goes with any car making good boost nowadays. E85 is a godsend to modders, pump gas availability (in some places) with race gas tunability.

All the street guys making big power find its easier to do it on boost and great fuel alone, than boost+nitrous, because two power adders is a bitch to tune for.

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
What are you hearing from the open bypass? Hearing it suck in vacuum under ambient boost? If it closes when you reach ambient boost, youd hear nothing, correct?

Sorry if this isnt the thread. I dont know much of anything about centrifugal setups, but always assumed when people talk about a race bypass valve, they were essentially referring to what turbo guys call a "blowoff valve" or "bypass valve", since essentially a centrifugal blower and turbocharger are the same concept, just one is belt driven while the other is exhaust driven.

But most blowoff valves stay shut during vacuum, so that unmetered air does not enter the intake tract (unless the air sensor is after the valve, then it doesnt mantter) and cause a lean condition. If yours stays open during vacuum, and your air meter is before the valve, youll be pulling in unmetered air, unless your valve is before the air meter.

And just FYI, not all blowoff valves redirect back to the intake. Most are designed to vent to atmosphere, but only when the throttle plate is closed to let out all the pressurized air to save the compressor from damage from the shock of closing the throttle plate and the resulting pressure wave that gets forced back down the intake tract and to the compressor.

Does a centrifugal's bypass valve also open during shifts to save the compressor from the same damage?

Ill try to explain as best i can, but someone correct me if Im wrong. And also note that youtube is a great place to see what Im talking about with Prochargers BPVs.

Prochargers BPV works very similar to a Blow off valve that turbos usually run, like i said before. The difference is that the BPV stays open under vacuum. Why they did this I do not know. The BPV does not suck in air, it only releases air. Thats just physics. The air in the piping is more dense, because of the compressor(supercharger), than the ambient air outside, so it will only allow for a release of air. It does release the pressure just like a Blow off valve, which is its main purpose. The race BPVs just allow for more air to be released quicker. Just like a bigger Blow off valve.

The sound that Im referring to when i say open bypass is the large amount of air the BPV is releasing under vacuum. Sounds similar to a mini jet engine, lol. As you give it more gas and get closer to "zero" boost, the BPV closes accordingly and allows for boost to be made. So basically at 20# vacuum the BPV is totally open, at 10# of vacuum it is half open. At 0# of boost it is fully closed allowing boost to be made. From there on its boost heaven.

Like I said Im not sure why they decided on this design but it works, and makes for a lot of noise, lol.

Hope that didn't confuse anyone anymore, lol

Nice kill bud, I attend UNCC also, and live in thornberry right off mallard creek... i brought my procharged GT up here a few weeks ago and saw a few DSMs, one of i saw was a beast... had DRs on all 4s and i could smell race gas.

I know where Thornberry is, How do u like your GT?

Felix

Established Member
Ill try to explain as best i can, but someone correct me if Im wrong. And also note that youtube is a great place to see what Im talking about with Prochargers BPVs.

Prochargers BPV works very similar to a Blow off valve that turbos usually run, like i said before. The difference is that the BPV stays open under vacuum.

Blow-off valves (most at least) stay open under vacuum. This is for drive ability purposes. Keeps you from getting a lot of turbo surge and the like.

If a BPV is anything like a blow off valve, then it stays open under vacuum because it has vacuum pulling it open. The line on top pulls the BPV open when not under boost because the intake manifold is creating a vacuum, but under boost it pushes pressure back to the BPV through the line and forces it shut.

Last edited:

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
Blow-off valves (most at least) stay open under vacuum. This is for drive ability purposes. Keeps you from getting a lot of turbo surge and the like.

If a BPV is anything like a blow off valve, then it stays open under vacuum because it has vacuum pulling it open. The line on top pulls the BPV open when not under boost because the intake manifold is creating a vacuum, but under boost it pushes pressure back to the BPV through the line and forces it shut.

Thanks Felix. I guess the biggest difference is the way the two units make power. My BPV make a loud sound of rushing air during normal driving. And how loud it is depends on rpm, since a blower is strictly rpm based. The higher the rpm, the more air it pulls. Turbo is not necessarily rpm based, which is why I guess you cant really hear the blow-off valve during typical driving. Makes sense :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread