Had to teach an Eclipse a lesson in Cobras

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
So this isn't a great kill or anything, I just thought it was pretty comical. So I will start by saying that right now my cars stock fuel system cant support the power the car is capable of. For this reason we have a SUPER conservative tune in it and i don't rev it over 6,000 rpm for any reason. I'm constantly monitoring the wide-band under throttle. Just out of curiosity I dyno'd the car about a month and a half ago, and shutting down at 5800, with 12.4 on the wide-band, still huffed out 508.2 rwhp.

With that being said, here is the quick story.

I'm driving home from work around 8pm last night, get off I-85 onto Harris Blvd, to head toward the apartment. The exit ramp circles around onto Harris and its just a yield and merge at the top. There are a few cars coming so i figure a little gas will do to get to the speed limit and merge.

As i get on it, an older model Eclipse comes flying up beside me. He does a little ricer flyby and then is slowed up by traffic. We stay pretty close most of the way down Harris Blvd, with him showing off most of the way.

I decided to go ahead and stay with this guy, just in case we got a break in traffic, so i could open it up a little. I finally decided to do a U-turn and head back, at this time he was behind me, and followed suit with a U-turn himself. I look ahead, perfect, no traffic for a mile or more.

As i make the turn i shift into second and just cruise at about 35 waiting on him to pull up beside me. He gets beside me and hangs there for a second, then floors it. I roll into the gas and spin through second, and put a half a car on him instantly, short shift into third(shifted at 6,000), and somehow find traction. At this point its useless, I begin quickly putting bus lengths on him. I shut down 3/4 through 3rd with about 2 bus lenghts in between us.

We pull up to the next traffic light and he pulls up beside me asking how much power i was making. I told him around 500, and with an open mouth and a stupid expression on his face he turned at the light and drove off.

Sorry for the short, long story, just thought Id share. :burnout:

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
By the way, I know there are some really fast imports out there, However, this was a ricer. Lowered, wheels, fart cannon, body kit, and a few stickers.

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
ahaha coool story..ur car is quite the animal with only 500 rwhp at 5800 lol

Thanks. Im pleasantly surprised with it so far. Ive got a Glenns fuel system on the way from a user on the Corral. With that and my 60# injectors we will finally be able to get it tuned right. Got long-tubes waiting to go on too!!! lol :rockon:

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
nice kill:beer: and I know the exact off ramp and harris blvd well, I live off the other end (mt. Holly-huntersville side) small world huh?

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
nice kill:beer: and I know the exact off ramp and harris blvd well, I live off the other end (mt. Holly-huntersville side) small world huh?

Small world it is, lol. My fiancee goes to UNCC. Were just up Harris off IBM drive, not far at all man. Good to hear from another SVTPer in Charlotte. I havent really seen many SVT's around the area, which baffles me :shrug: Been trying to find some SVT owners to hang out with in Charlotte but havent had much luck.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
Small world it is, lol. My fiancee goes to UNCC. Were just up Harris off IBM drive, not far at all man. Good to hear from another SVTPer in Charlotte. I havent really seen many SVT's around the area, which baffles me :shrug: Been trying to find some SVT owners to hang out with in Charlotte but havent had much luck.

lol... do you ever go to the cars & coffee at Panera Bread??? and I work weekend nights, so I never get play on the usual friday night or saturday night "cruising for kills" runs... I know a few local, but figured there would be more (same as you) pm me and we can try to arrange something

now back to spanking an eclipse..... :)

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
lol... do you ever go to the cars & coffee at Panera Bread??? and I work weekend nights, so I never get play on the usual friday night or saturday night "cruising for kills" runs... I know a few local, but figured there would be more (same as you) pm me and we can try to arrange something

now back to spanking an eclipse..... :)

No, i don't really do the cruise ins or shows yet, still have a few things i wanna do to the cobra before i start doing that. And I'm from the Winston-Salem area, so since i moved down this way i haven't really been able to find out what all was going on with the car scene. But yeah, we can definitely work out something, maybe get a few stangs together somewhere. :beer:

CamdZ06

Established Member
So this isn't a great kill or anything, I just thought it was pretty comical. So I will start by saying that right now my cars stock fuel system cant support the power the car is capable of. For this reason we have a SUPER conservative tune in it and i don't rev it over 6,000 rpm for any reason. I'm constantly monitoring the wide-band under throttle. Just out of curiosity I dyno'd the car about a month and a half ago, and shutting down at 5800, with 12.4 on the wide-band, still huffed out 508.2 rwhp.

With that being said, here is the quick story.

I'm driving home from work around 8pm last night, get off I-85 onto Harris Blvd, to head toward the apartment. The exit ramp circles around onto Harris and its just a yield and merge at the top. There are a few cars coming so i figure a little gas will do to get to the speed limit and merge.

As i get on it, an older model Eclipse comes flying up beside me. He does a little ricer flyby and then is slowed up by traffic. We stay pretty close most of the way down Harris Blvd, with him showing off most of the way.

I decided to go ahead and stay with this guy, just in case we got a break in traffic, so i could open it up a little. I finally decided to do a U-turn and head back, at this time he was behind me, and followed suit with a U-turn himself. I look ahead, perfect, no traffic for a mile or more.

As i make the turn i shift into second and just cruise at about 35 waiting on him to pull up beside me. He gets beside me and hangs there for a second, then floors it. I roll into the gas and spin through second, and put a half a car on him instantly, short shift into third(shifted at 6,000), and somehow find traction. At this point its useless, I begin quickly putting bus lengths on him. I shut down 3/4 through 3rd with about 2 bus lenghts in between us.

We pull up to the next traffic light and he pulls up beside me asking how much power i was making. I told him around 500, and with an open mouth and a stupid expression on his face he turned at the light and drove off.

Sorry for the short, long story, just thought Id share. :burnout:

Nice kill. Trust me, some people really don't know much about cars. Either he was just curious to see how fast your car was or he actually thought he had a chance. Good thing you gave it some throttle! :beer:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
A friend was over in his older Eclipse yesterday it has a 67 turbo on it .He owns a tuner shop. I promise it would have been a different story if he had bumped into it. But good kill and get your fuel done so we can see its full potential.

He fabbed the header himself.

IMAG0216.jpg

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
A friend was over in his older Eclipse yesterday it has a 67 turbo on it .He owns a tuner shop. I promise it would have been a different story if he had bumped into it. But good kill and get your fuel done so we can see its full potential.

He fabbed the header himself.

He did a dang good job fabbing it himself. Looks good, and like i said, there are some dang fast tuner cars out there, but this was definitely just rice.

The fuel system should be in the mail this week. :banana: That paired with the long tubes, and a head cooling mod, so i can get a little more aggressive tuning, and I'm hoping to see 600+ on my little P1SC-2 setup, lol.

Love your GT500 btw :beer:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
He did a dang good job fabbing it himself. Looks good, and like i said, there are some dang fast tuner cars out there, but this was definitely just rice.

The fuel system should be in the mail this week. :banana: That paired with the long tubes, and a head cooling mod, so i can get a little more aggressive tuning, and I'm hoping to see 600+ on my little P1SC-2 setup, lol.

Love your GT500 btw :beer:

Yeah he is a good fabricator.

Yeah your car sounds like a beast.

Eugene's eclipse needs more fuel too. He has 850 injectors but he is running E 85 and that takes about 30% more fuel. He is going larger injectors and cams then upping the boost. Its a built engine. Right now its only a little over 450.

Eugene is upgrading my VR4 right now.

My GT 500 is a lot of fun for sure.

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
Yeah he is a good fabricator.

Yeah your car sounds like a beast.

Eugene's eclipse needs more fuel too. He has 850 injectors but he is running E 85 and that takes about 30% more fuel. He is going larger injectors and cams then upping the boost. Its a built engine. Right now its only a little over 450.

Eugene is upgrading my VR4 right now.

My GT 500 is a lot of fun for sure.

very nice, 450 is no joke in those cars, they are so light.

Ive been really fortunate mine has responded this good to the upgrades. On the 10# pulley i outran a GSXR-600 on I-85, and now I'm on a 15# pulley, and have seen 17#'s. Next is suspension and rear end work to try to plant it a little better. And my T-45 will prolly have to go sometime, It's holding strong so far but it wont last forever, lol.

what are you having done to the VR4?

FastOldGuy52

Established Member

Ive been really fortunate mine has responded this good to the upgrades. On the 10# pulley i outran a GSXR-600 on I-85, and now I'm on a 15# pulley, and have seen 17#'s. Next is suspension and rear end work to try to plant it a little better. And my T-45 will prolly have to go sometime, It's holding strong so far but it wont last forever, lol.

what are you having done to the VR4?

Just tuning it and some strengthening of the drive train for the moment. I'm considering bigger turbos and a E 85 tune.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Umm not really tho. Theyre heavy pigs, especially 2g's (95-99's), 1g's are a little lighter. Their only saving grace is Mitsushitty gave them a badass motor to start from. Only reason i have one still, is that its reliable as shit in stock form, and has "po-tential". Meaning if you are po' (poor) like me, you can make it fast.

Did you run a GST/GSX? Or was it a non-turbo?

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
Umm not really tho. Theyre heavy pigs, especially 2g's (95-99's), 1g's are a little lighter. Their only saving grace is Mitsushitty gave them a badass motor to start from. Only reason i have one still, is that its reliable as shit in stock form, and has "po-tential". Meaning if you are po' (poor) like me, you can make it fast.

Did you run a GST/GSX? Or was it a non-turbo?

:shrug: Shows how much i know about those cars, lol. It was an older model but I'm pretty sure i heard a turbo, not sure how loud the stock ones are, but his muffler was fairly loud, so over my open bypass and loud-a** exhaust, and his exhaust, i couldn't hear much else. I could tell you most anything about a Mustang, but not so much on imports.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
nice lol not a fan of them cars, but there cheap and easy to make fast, I belive a guy in my state holds a record for a stock turbo talon he runs I belive low 12's high 11's and its stock motor and turbo, I think his name is Phil Bears

Users who are viewing this thread