Gun Safes, what do you have (pics) and what do you recommend?

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
It's in a gun shop, not sure how much he'd take. 2 years old, gently used, what's a fair price to offer without insulting someone?

Used ones were going for 900 or so down here in excellent shape. I’d say anywhere south of $1k is probably fair, start low and work your way up.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If I had a sizable enough gun collection and lots of cash, I'll build a special walk-in vault built into my bedroom walk-in closet. That's where I'd safely store my weapons, ammo, gear, and everything else gun related. For the average person it's overkill, of course. I just think it would be cool to have a nice, large collection of weapons with a superior, safe "home".

safe-room-shelter-exterior-door-800x638.jpg

safe-room-shelter-exterior-white-800x776.jpg

walk-in-safe-back-2nd-ammendment-530x800.jpg

armory-gun-storage-racks-606x750.jpg

armory-gun-racks-497x750.jpg

armory-gun-rack-system-497x750.jpg

mikes35

Established Member
If I had a sizable enough gun collection and lots of cash, I'll build a special walk-in vault built into my bedroom walk-in closet. That's where I'd safely store my weapons, ammo, gear, and everything else gun related. For the average person it's overkill, of course. I just think it would be cool to have a nice, large collection of weapons with a superior, safe "home".

View attachment 1540046

View attachment 1540047

View attachment 1540048

View attachment 1540049

View attachment 1540050

View attachment 1540051

That would be so nice! Too many hobbies means I can't afford anything close to that....

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I had a Centurion and the inner workings of the door broke. It was fixed under warranty, but the service tech got the door open, while it was broken and stuck locked, in less than 5 minutes. I got a smaller locker that was easier to hide while I waited for the door the get fixed. When I got it back, I just sold it.

My opinion... unless you want fire protection or have money to build a vault (not a safe), just get a cabinet and put it someplace where it doesn't stand out.

mikes35

Established Member
Found a Liberty Fatboy Jr. for $1197 on clearance, headed to pick it up today. The guy on Craigslist wanted $1200 for a 2 year old used one. I feel like the new clearance one was the best deal I was going to get.

mikes35

Established Member
Nothing fancy but certainly nicer than most of the offerings at big box stores. I bought a pallet jack off craigslist years ago to move my first safe, glad I hung on to it. It only took 2 of us, me and my 78 year old dad to slide it off the trailer, tilt it upright and roll it into its semi-permanent spot. I'm stoked now that I can load it with the stuff that is in my other safe across town.

IMG-3901.jpg

IMG-3903.jpg

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Honestly, the best safes are ones that can't be found.

False floors, panels, etc.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
For theft yes. For fire or water damage no.
One could....

I'm just reaching here.....

One could.

Put the fireproof safe in the hidden location?

Maybe?

Yeah. That probably would work.

mikes35

Established Member
Here's a pic of my other safe at my other house that I am renting. I forgot how nice it was. I picked up a few goodies from this safe to transplant to my new Fatboy Jr. This is a Cannon T36, 10 gauge, almost 1100 lbs. I dread the day I need to move this one. Definitely nicer than my new Liberty safe. The flash and lights in the garage don't do this thing any justice, it's much nicer in person.

fullsizeoutput-c8b.jpg

mikes35

Established Member
The Liberty I just bought has a couple of poor welds, kinda disappointing. I reached out to them and am waiting to see what their suggestion is.

IMG-3899.jpg

IMG-3900.jpg

Junior00

Established Member
Premium Member
Hope that wasn’t a blem that got sold at a higher price. There were some like that at the factory warehouse that were sold for around the $925 mark iirc.

mikes35

Established Member
Hope that wasn’t a blem that got sold at a higher price. There were some like that at the factory warehouse that were sold for around the $925 mark iirc.

You'd think with the reputation Liberty has for quality made American safes something like this wouldn't get past their quality control. I haven't inspected all the welds yet, I'm not actually sure what parts on the exterior are welded, but it makes me wonder if any other bad welds were covered up by paint?

Junior00

Established Member
Premium Member
You'd think with the reputation Liberty has for quality made American safes something like this wouldn't get past their quality control. I haven't inspected all the welds yet, I'm not actually sure what parts on the exterior are welded, but it makes me wonder if any other bad welds were covered up by paint?

I understand, but I do know when I spoke to the warehouse rep he said they do have blemished models and he showed me some. I have no idea if these are robotically welded or what, but you’re right in thinking qc would catch that and have it corrected before going to the next station. Where is it located on the safe?

Users who are viewing this thread