Gun Safes, what do you have (pics) and what do you recommend?

mikes35

Established Member
Per the rep some welds are robotic, some are done by people. These welds were on the lower back part of the safe, I noticed it as I was sliding it off the trailer. I didn't inspect the whole safe, I'll do that when I return home this weekend. I don't believe there are any welds on the front as it is welded.

_Snake_

Established Member
Here's a pic of my other safe at my other house that I am renting. I forgot how nice it was. I picked up a few goodies from this safe to transplant to my new Fatboy Jr. This is a Cannon T36, 10 gauge, almost 1100 lbs. I dread the day I need to move this one. Definitely nicer than my new Liberty safe. The flash and lights in the garage don't do this thing any justice, it's much nicer in person.

View attachment 1541986

Nicer looking for sure. How do the ratings compare between the two?

mikes35

Established Member
Nicer looking for sure. How do the ratings compare between the two?

You can't really find ratings on the Cannon since it is a 2006 model. It's definitely the better of the 2 safes in all aspects except size and fire rating. The Cannon is a 10 gauge 29 gun safe that weighs 1080 lbs. The Liberty is an 11 gauge 48 gun safe that weighs 760 lbs. The Cannon has a 2 1/4" steel door, the Fatboy Jr has a 1" composite door front. The Fatboy Jr has a 60 minute fire rating and the Cannon has only 45. The Cannon is one of their older models where they really made quality and asthetically pleasing safes, now they build low end safes. You'd have to go to Liberty's top of the line safe to get heavier gauge steel than this older Cannon. The Cannon was a Craigslist find for me about 5 years ago for $1500, it retailed new for over $4000.

mikes35

Established Member
Just an update to this thread, the factory engineer said “This particular defect is a miss-aligned robotic weld. The amount of missing weld does not cause concern for structural integrity.” Liberty sent me a 5 wand light kit as a goodwill gesture. It took a couple of weeks but I am happy. The poor weld doesn't affect performance, it's cosmetic in the lower rear of the safe so I am not concerned. I appreciate their customer service.

dma2004

Established Member
I have this Fort Knox one and a Browning safe. The fort Knox one is awesome and HEAVY (800 lbs), but the fire protection on it is amazing. I'm actually trying to get rid of it for 1k. It retailed for 7000. Chicago area...
IMG_0290.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread