GT500/ZL1 in SFL, who was it?

GarageLogic

Established Member
So, I'm in Florida on a business trip in my Nissan Sentra rental, and I look in my rearview mirror and see a Kona/White GT500 coming up in the left lane behind me. Not far behind him, comes a new Camaro. As they get closer, I see the hood and front fascia and realize it is a white ZL1! There's no traffic in front of me, and I see the Shelby slide over into the right lane in front of me and hear him gear down. Sure enough, the Z pulls up alongside to his left and after a few blips by the GT500 to see if he wanted to play, three honks later they are off. Shelby jumps out by a car easily and continued to lengthen the lead until the moved off beyond my sight.

Poor guy in the ZL1, bit off more than he could chew. I'm sure his knowing what his $60K car did at the 'Ring helped lessen the sting of what just happened!:D

This was around 5pm on I-75 between Ft. Myers and Naples. Anybody here?

NinjaBum

Established Member
I'm sure there will be a bunch of them upping the boost and consequently cursing the fact the GM didn't gift them with stronger internals.

99BOSS

Established Member
Yeah, I agree with DietCoke. Im not calling BS or anything, but Im thinking what are the odds of this happening between these 2 cars, so soon after a handful of ZL1s may be out on the streets. And happens to run into a GT500, the ZL1 guy goes all out on a new car with prolly a handful of miles on it, and the OP happens to witness this all. Very slim odds. Again, not claiming BS, just such a sliver of a chance for this to happen. Now in a couple months, more will be on the road and will be caught on video eventually.

Last edited:

NinjaBum

Established Member
Not that surprising if they are both buddies in a car group together. I'm sure a ZL1 owner would be dying to know how his car stacks up against his friend's gt500.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
The most telling is the hood on the ZL1, the front facia can easily be done with vinnly to look like ZL1. Seen a guy with a yellow SS that did this and from a distance at first glance it looks like ZL1 front end.

GarageLogic

Established Member
Pretty sure it was an actual ZL1. Not only did it have the hood and fascia, it also had the ZL1 badge and quad exhaust. There must of been some event going on today, as I saw no less than 5-6 different Gen5 Camaro's in a 15 mile stretch before I got off the interstate in Naples. Trust me, if I could have whipped out the IPad in time to video, I would have.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I hope it was a ZL1 so I can say booya Chevy take that!!!!!!

ok ok ok ill kick you square in the nuts while using an android phone

SPEEDRACER88

I didn't pick your car
Established Member
Yeah, I agree with DietCoke. Im not calling BS or anything, but Im thinking what are the odds of this happening between these 2 cars, so soon after a handful of ZL1s may be out on the streets. And happens to run into a GT500, the ZL1 guy goes all out on a new car with prolly a handful of miles on it, and the OP happens to witness this all. Very slim odds. Again, not claiming BS, just such a sliver of a chance for this to happen. Now in a couple months, more will be on the road and will be caught on video eventually.
Saw this on another forum... ZL1's are on the street
7058608757_9a1862e7c3_c.jpg

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I love the "not calling BS" - then proceeds to call the whole thing BS. Say what you mean and mean what you say- quit being a little bitch about it!!

OP- wish I could have seen it with you. Maybe one of the first races ever between these two cars!!

GarageLogic

Established Member
OP- wish I could have seen it with you. Maybe one of the first races ever between these two cars!!

I never thought about it that way. Now I really wish I would've had the foresight to get some video. Not that you would have seen much more that Camaro and Mustang taillights pulling quickly away from the Sentra!:D

Whether or not it was the first race between the two, it certainly won't be the last. As spring moves into summer, I'm sure GT500/ZL1 videos will be going viral.

I'd post over on Camaro5.com to see if it was one of their members but, alas, I am banned from that site awhile back.

Last edited:

gearhead08

Established Member
Camaro ZL1's are being sold alot of places and delivered already. I would not doubt it one bit that those two cars have matched up the reason I say this, is because I am constantly driving around looking for one to kill in my GT500. The shelby has seen more miles this week than its had in a long time just because I know some rich guy is cruising around here somewhere and I WILL FIND HIM!!! I will also have a video :D

99BOSS

Established Member
That pic of the ZL1 on the street is pretty solid evidence they're out. Didnt take someone long to get plates. Also notice the brake lights dont appear to work on it already lol. Only the brake light in the spoiler.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread