GT500 + Drag Radials + Sticky Track=#%#%

flyby763

Established Member
I started at 3500 and worked my way up to about 4000 rpm if I let at idle or around 1000 or so it didn't do it just when I tried to come out hard to over come the tall 1st gear when it would do it the car just fell on it face and felt like the throttle was closed it was real weird. I don't know how the clutch protection work to reduce engine power but the first time it happened I thought I had the traction control on but that was not the case.

Try launching from a higher RPM...

cbrmuscle

Established Member
x2

Launch that beast at 4500-5000 if you are dead hooking off of the line. No launch control, no traction control. If you are hooking and bogging, keep raising the rpm until you don't!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
It's funny how this car feels way faster then my 2012 did but at the track the numbers don't lie, he'll my 03 cobra with a pulley tune and filter runs 11.8@117. BTW my car weighed 3850 without me in it and I am about 175 so 4025 lbs .
The '13 probably is faster from 30mph to 120 but the bog is killing you. If you do decide to go with more gear, keep in mind that you could be engineering an extra shift into your run.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
This is interesting. I actually put on my MT's I received this weekend and tried a test on a side street in the warehouse district. I hit to turn off TC and when I tried to go, for the first time ever, the car bogged hard, and a I got a wrench.....Ok.......Hmmmm......

The wrench went away and I held for 5 secs, everything off. I hit it and left hard....Wow. So I need to remember to turn it all off now on these tires. Will hopefully be at the track on Weds.

I would think you could launch with 3.31's......kind of interesting that your bogging down with all of the nannies off.

rwboring

Established Member
I started at 3500 and worked my way up to about 4000 rpm

I was leaving at 3200 on stock tires with a horrible track prep (it would spin though)... If you are getting traction 4000rpm isn't that high of a launch point...

IIRC some 03-04 cobras are launching close to redline...

Honestly, I haven't felt or seen one of these cars do what your saying but raising rpm is the first response.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
This is interesting. I actually put on my MT's I received this weekend and tried a test on a side street in the warehouse district. I hit to turn off TC and when I tried to go, for the first time ever, the car bogged hard, and a I got a wrench.....Ok.......Hmmmm......

The wrench went away and I held for 5 secs, everything off. I hit it and left hard....Wow. So I need to remember to turn it all off now on these tires. Will hopefully be at the track on Weds.

I would think you could launch with 3.31's......kind of interesting that your bogging down with all of the nannies off.

That is interesting.....look forward to seeing you run!

also of note, im pretty sure both Evo and Lethal were launching their cars around 6K rpm

BOD89LX

Established Member
I think I will try it once more at the track and just launch it much higher maybe it just needs way more rpm at the track I have done it on the street a bunch of times and had no problems.

BOD89LX

Established Member
The '13 probably is faster from 30mph to 120 but the bog is killing you. If you do decide to go with more gear, keep in mind that you could be engineering an extra shift into your run.

Yea a gear change would call for shifting to 4th pretty close to the end of the track with 3.73's I am going to try launching at much higher rpms next time at the track and see what happens.

Myfast70

Established Member

BOD89LX

Established Member

BOD89LX

Established Member
Did some testing tonight and the problem is the tall first gear and 3:31's I went out on cold road 45 degrees and car bogs on the street as well even at 5000 rpm it bogs and makes almost no boost until 1800 rpm and full boost by 2800 rpm I can roll 10 mph and spin the tires as it makes boost right away but from a dead stop it's almost impossible to keep the rpms high enough without slipping the heck out of the clutch. I think at this point I am going to do a rear gear change if I can find out a way to calibrate the speedo if the dealer can't .

peteypab2133

Established Member
Did some testing tonight and the problem is the tall first gear and 3:31's I went out on cold road 45 degrees and car bogs on the street as well even at 5000 rpm it bogs and makes almost no boost until 1800 rpm and full boost by 2800 rpm I can roll 10 mph and spin the tires as it makes boost right away but from a dead stop it's almost impossible to keep the rpms high enough without slipping the heck out of the clutch. I think at this point I am going to do a rear gear change if I can find out a way to calibrate the speedo if the dealer can't .

Are you just trying to dump the clutch?

Are the Z06 gears basically identical to ours? I'm lost here. 600rwhp and 600lbs of tq is not enough to spin some drag radials on the street??

If I had a set to test I would, but I would think others who already have can chime in?
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
With TC off you should be able to smoke 'em from punching it at a rolling idle speed.......just roll along in 1st gear at idle...punch it...smoke show.

BOD89LX

Established Member

Are the Z06 gears basically identical to ours? I'm lost here. 600rwhp and 600lbs of tq is not enough to spin some drag radials on the street??

If I had a set to test I would, but I would think others who already have can chime in?

You are right its not enough for a 3850lbs plus driver to not bog like I said if I am rolling I can spin them no problem but from a dead stop the car just falls o its face not sure if the ecu is closing the throttle but I was watching the boost gauge and it drops to 0 the slowly goes up but if I am rolling 10 mph boost jump right to 10 then will spin the tires and make 14-15 psi. Keep in mind a ZO6 is 500-600 lbs lighter which makes a big difference from a dead stop. Now keep in mind the car did still run ok 11.9@121 but I am sure it would have ran as fast or faster with the street tires at the track as I could balance the launch with a little wheel spin to get more boost down low and I would guess with a tune and a few mods help it out down low as well.

BOD89LX

Established Member

With TC off you should be able to smoke 'em from punching it at a rolling idle speed.......just roll along in 1st gear at idle...punch it...smoke show.

Well I don't know about that as idle is about 600 rpm but rolling at 10 mph it will spin the drag radials some but no smoke show and yes I can go up in smoke from a stop if I dump the clutch.

dgdoc

Established Member

I had a C6Z06 and now a 2013 GT500.
First gear and the rear-axle ratios on both cars is now the same.

I haven't had mine to the track yet (only 300 miles) but believe there is no reason why it can't produce 60' times in the same range as the C6Z06 without having to change to 3.73's.

I was able to achieve 1.85 60's pretty consistently on my bone-stock Z06 on stock tires.
With drag radials, the fastest Z06 racers were able to achieve high 1.5x and low 1.6x 60's. Again, all bone stock with similar gearing to the GT500.
The C6 Z06 Fast List - Corvette Forum

My initial read is the clutch in the GT500 grabs quicker than the Z06 and is more likely to bog coming off the line, without the immediate application of throttle.

Would recommend focusing on getting into the throttle earlier as you let up on the clutch -- letting the clutch engage as opposed to slipping it. If you're quick on the throttle, believe the engine should have enough power to over-power the clutch for the first 1/2 second or so before it locks up.

Again, I haven't had it to the track, so the advice I'm providing is only what worked on the C6Z. It may not be the right technique for the '13 GT500.

As racers get more experience with the car, the best techniques will become apparent, and I'm sure will be shared on forums like this.

Anyway, hope this helps - and let us know how you do next time out.

:beer:

Last edited:

BOD89LX

Established Member
I had a C6Z06 and now a 2013 GT500.
First gear and the rear-axle ratios on both cars is now the same.

I haven't had mine to the track yet (only 300 miles) but believe there is no reason why it can't produce 60' times in the same range as the C6Z06 without having to change to 3.73's.

I was able to achieve 1.85 60's pretty consistently on my bone-stock Z06.
With drag radials, the fastest Z06 racers were able to achieve high 1.5x and low 1.6x 60's. Again, all bone stock with similar gearing to the GT500.
The C6 Z06 Fast List - Corvette Forum

My initial read is the clutch in the GT500 grabs quicker than the Z06 and is more likely to bog coming off the line, without the immediate application of throttle.

Would recommend focusing on getting into the throttle earlier as you let up on the clutch -- letting the clutch engage as opposed to slipping it. If you're quick on the throttle, believe the engine should have enough power to over-power the clutch for the first 1/2 second or so before it locks up.

Again, I haven't had it to the track, so the advice I'm providing is only what worked on the C6Z. It may not be the right technique for the '13 GT500.

As racers get more experience with the car, the best techniques will become apparent, and I'm sure will be shared on forums like this.

Anyway, hope this helps - and let us know how you do next time out.

:beer:

Well I have driven several Z06's and few with H/C/I and the 2 are nothing alike as far as clutch engagement . Like I said these cars will need gears if they don't have mod's or you will need a new clutch much sooner as you will have to slide the clutch like a mofo to get past the bog. My 2012 would 60' in the high 1.6's to low 1.7's all day long on the same tires . I am going to go back on the stock rear tires as I am pretty sure the car will be faster on them.

Users who are viewing this thread