GT500 + Drag Radials + Sticky Track=#%#%

BOD89LX

Established Member
So I took my car to the track today with the MT drag radials and figured out the car needs more gear or more power to make the car leave. Best pass was a 11.9@121 with a 1.997 60' car would just dead hook and bog and inlet temps were between 95 -105 when leaving but down to 80 on the return road. I tried once with the factory launch control in sport mode and the left a big cloud of clutch dust and still ran 12.0@120, then when I would try to leave with more rpm once the clutch was out it felt like the car shut off for a split second then started to pull normal. Then on a few runs the car was real flat until 4000 rpm. I know there is some sort of clutch protection built into the ecu and I think that's what happened on the passes that I tried to leave at 3500-4000 rpm car would start to move dead hook and fall flat on its face. For comparison my 2012 with a VMP pulley tune and x pipe ran 11.4-11-6@ 120-122 but would 60' 1.67-1.72 and ran 95 in the 1/8 the 13 ran 93 in the 1/8 so I would say at this point on sticky tires on a good track this car will not leave to save its life and no way it will 60' like my 2012 did without some 3.73's or more power down low to make the car 60'? I will say my clutch held up so that's good news.

Last edited:

Agent504

Established Member
Dude, you dont need drag radials to cut good a 60ft time. You need to get you some of those magical ZL1 tires that cut 1.6 60 ft times.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
when you were using the DR's, are you leaving some of the nannies on? those are useful for stock tires, but for sticky tires, shut them off...thats whats making the car bog

ObieFox

Established Member
I agree that sticky tires without a gear will be very hard on the clutch. 3.73s with a tune to remove the clutch protection should help out a bunch....

dustin88lx

Established Member
when you were using the DR's, are you leaving some of the nannies on? those are useful for stock tires, but for sticky tires, shut them off...thats whats making the car bog

Exactly with DR's you can turn all of that off you don't need it. I pulled a 1.63 60ft on et streets with my car. With the nannies on even on sport mode the best I could pull was a 1.98 60ft. I went to the track just screwing around the other night now I have some upgrades motor wise and uca, lcas and I cut a 1.98 60ft and 11.7 on the street tires with all the nannies off. The funny thing was they were off because I forgot to turn them back on after the burnout....so the next two runs I had the car in sports mode and ran a 12.02 and a 12.07.

BOD89LX

Established Member

They all were shut off on all runs but one with it in sport mode, like I said car needs more gear or power to pull it through the long 1st gear.

BOD89LX

Established Member
It's funny how this car feels way faster then my 2012 did but at the track the numbers don't lie, he'll my 03 cobra with a pulley tune and filter runs 11.8@117. BTW my car weighed 3850 without me in it and I am about 175 so 4025 lbs .

peteypab2133

Established Member
They all were shut off on all runs but one with it in sport mode, like I said car needs more gear or power to pull it through the long 1st gear.

Off like half ways off, or off like you held the brake and traction control for 5 seconds to turn the advance trac off?

BOD89LX

Established Member
Off like half ways off, or off like you held the brake and traction control for 5 seconds to turn the advance trac off?

Completely off and like I said the dam clutch protection must have been what made the car almost shut off and fall on its face when I tried to leave @4000 and the track would pull your shoes off it was so sticky .

dustin88lx

Established Member
yeah if it was bogging off the line it wasnt truly off just had the traction control off but the advance trac was still on.

dustin88lx

Established Member
Completely off and like I said the dam clutch protection must have been what made the car almost shut off and fall on its face when I tried to leave @4000 and the track would pull your shoes off it was so sticky .

Well my apologies we posted at the same time. When my car was stock it wouldnt bog if everything was off, so honestly I dunno in this case maybe gear. There is no reason you shouldnt be at a 11.3 to 11.5 on stickies no problem.

Oh yeah post up your timeslip in my drag times stickey so I can add you to the list.

BOD89LX

Established Member
yeah if it was bogging off the line it wasnt truly off just had the traction control off but the advance trac was still on.

Nope completely off held down for 6 plus seconds and advance track off poped up on the screen and the bog I was coming from the clutch protection I think as it only did it when I raised the launch rpm up when trying to leave it didn't do it when leaving at lower rpm it would just dead hook and slowly pull through 1st gear due to the tall gearing I due plan to go back in a few weeks when it cools down a little more and shift it at a lower rpm I was shifting at 6700 rpm car was gaining 27-28 mph from the 1/8 mile on and I don't know how much the higher inlet temps were affecting things as I don't remember at what temp it starts to pull timing.

Chadster253545

Established Member
I had the same Results when I went to the track. I was running 305/35/18 ET streets. The car would hook then bog everything. I did not hold the button down for 5 seconds. My thought was it needed gears. 3.73s get installed Tuesday.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Is this "clutch protection" in the tuning something that can simply be turned off via an aftermarket tune?
I honestly had not heard of this.
S.

KsE

Established Member
Is this "clutch protection" in the tuning something that can simply be turned off via an aftermarket tune?
I honestly had not heard of this.
S.

I dont know if its an option on the sct tuner, but say if you get a lund tune in a sct you can have the CAT protection turned off.

Jroc

Established Member
In my limited track experience if you cut a good 60 and then hit all your gear good you will track noticable better than if you cut a poor 60, and hit your gears good.

People always say look at your track speed, but in my Cobra I would tend to trap about 4/5 MPH faster with a good launch than with a poor launch. :shrug:

BOD89LX

Established Member
What were you launching at? Sounds like you need to raise your launch RPM if it was bogging with everything turned off.

I started at 3500 and worked my way up to about 4000 rpm if I let at idle or around 1000 or so it didn't do it just when I tried to come out hard to over come the tall 1st gear when it would do it the car just fell on it face and felt like the throttle was closed it was real weird. I don't know how the clutch protection work to reduce engine power but the first time it happened I thought I had the traction control on but that was not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread