GT350 at New York Auto Show

TORQUERULES

Established Member
fordification said:
Even though the 4.6 couldn't handle as much power and doesn't respond as well as the 5.4 with aftermarkets, just make it a solid 350hp lightweight, and work on weight savings. Carrol always said he preferred the GT-350's agility with the hi-po 289 over the cumbersome 500's with the 428.

I totally agree.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Forget about the GT350H, only 200 will be made

From Edmunds Inside Line:

IL Exclusive: 2006 Ford Shelby GT350H Is Coming to a Hertz Outlet Near You
Date posted: 03-24-2006

DEARBORN, Mich. — Would you like to upgrade? Ford insiders tell Inside Line that a new version of the Shelby Hertz GT350H will be unveiled at the New York auto show in April and hit select Hertz car rental facilities around the U.S. this summer.

The Dearborn automaker will produce a limited run of 200 of the vehicles, in black with gold paint stripes, just like the 1960s version.

Ford's latest retro vehicle harks back to the Shelby Hertz GT350H, which was modified by Carroll Shelby in 1966 and distributed to select Hertz franchises for the rental-car company's "Rent a Racer" program. The new version borrows from that concept liberally. Ford will build the Mustangs, ship them to Shelby for tweaking and then distribute them to Hertz dealers.

The carmaker told IL that the new version uses a 2006 Mustang GT as a platform and adds new calibration for powertrain controls to give the GT's 300-horsepower, 4.6-liter V8 a boost of 20 hp, to 320 hp. Other performance enhancements include intake and exhaust tuning.

"We're starting to have a little fun," the Ford executive told IL. "This is our big news in New York. The thinking on resurrecting the Shelby Hertz is that if you are going to Vegas for the weekend, you won't have to rent a Chrysler Sebring. You can get a hot Mustang."

What this means to you: Looks like Ford and Hertz are still in cahoots even after the sale. Do I have unlimited miles?

Fourcam330

Established Member
eichisama said:
Why not keep the weight savings of the Al 4.6 block, but pair it with the better-breathing 4v GT heads? Fourcam, would this make sense or not? We know the 4v 5.4 NA would benefit from the heads, but what about the 4.6, perhaps with different cams & intake?

What's the weight difference from the Al 4.6 block to the complete GT500 block (including blower and required accessories)? I think I'd still rather have the Fe 4v 5.4 block, though, with the broader torque curve. I guess I just don't see that much distinction between the aforementioned 3v "GT350" and a regular GT.

As recently posted, I don't see it being a N/A 5.4. The 3v 4.6 can easily make that type of power with very little modification from GT spec. The difference in weight between a N/A 3v 4.6 with plastic manifold/cast internals, and the blown/IC'd iron block forged 5.4 is significant--probably over 200lbs.
I think you're going to want to wait on the Boss.

Jpjr

Established Member
03LGCOBRA said:
Jpjr said:
Maybe, depends on how true they want to stay to the Shelby lines. The old 350s had smaller engines and handled a lot better. Not to sound like jetta boy, but a 5.4 would be heavy for only 350-400 horsepower, making the thing harder to set up for good handling. IMO that would be awsome to have a N/A but a 4.6 seems more liekly to me. Like I said we will just have to wait and see.

well that is optimistic but the only thing ford will be staying true to in the next few years is its balance sheet. S/C = huge warranty costs. 400hp in a vette is 6.0L so i don't think weight is really a factor. but i agree, wait and see.

chuckstang

Established Member
03LGCOBRA said:
Ok,

Anyways I am thinking this:
Lets say they do make 7000-8000 GT500s, they need something that more people can get, so I would think that they would move the GT500 in to a price and performance range closer to the Vette ie, 500 horsepower and 50-55k range, and then make the GT350 more on par with the 03/04 Cobras. Possibly a S/C 4.6 W/ 400 HP in the low to mid 40s. Make about the same amount, maybe a little more.

That is just my thinking. We will just have to wait and see!

You do realize that they are already building a Vette fighter for 40k with 500hp called the 07 Shelby GT500. :poke:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
:bowdown:
bouncingballs7kl.gif
:eek:

Last edited:

Madmark

Established Member
I hope they use a 5.4 dohc NA application for a BOSS model.

I would buy that.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I think you're going to want to wait on the Boss.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding - are you saying I'd be happier waiting for the Boss? Can anyone definitively say the GT350 and Boss are (will be) in fact two different vehicles?

Actually, they must be since the GT350H is limited to 200 vehicles going only to Hertz... duh...

fordification

Established Member
(DEARBORN, MI) TheGT500Source.com - Ever since we first published a report stating that 4.6L engines were powering some GT500 prototypes by 4.6L engines on 08 December 2005, speculation started to brew. Many Mustang sites and enthusiasts put 2+2 together and believed that the 4.6L "small block" engine from the SN95 SVT Cobra Terminator would power the GT350, while the 5.4L "big block" engine would power the GT500. In theory, like in times past, the new GT350 would be the "road car" while the GT500 would offer street pounding horsepower.

During an interview with Carroll Shelby, Mr. Shelby said that a new car was coming out, but would not elaborate on what it would be. A Shelby American spokesman told TheGT500Source that a new Shelby was being prepped to appear at the 2006 Chicago Auto Show in February 2006, however, if they missed Chicago, it would be brought to New York. We all know that a new Shelby, in any variant, was not produced in Chicago, so it is now set to debut in New York at 11:00pm, est on 12 April 2006.

If a Shelby GT350 is set to appear as a concept in New York next month, it is one of Dearborn's better-kept secrets. Gossip at Ford employee after-hour local hangouts is mum on the topic of anything GT350.

What else is there aside from a GT350? Speculation has long held that the next production Shelby won't be a Mustang, rather a replacement for the Ford GT. Sources told us that the Shelby GR1 might be renamed the "Cobra" should it become a production model. We first reported that Ford was dropping the Cobra name from the Mustang on 15 December 2005.

Not to be left out of the horsepower crazy, Saleen is also bringing a new car to market. Saleen's top of the line Mustang, the S281 Extreme pumps out 550 horsepower. Saleen will also introduce their new product at the New York Show on 13 April at 2:50pm, est.

Check back for more updates as we follow this story.

Route66

Established Member
Here's my guess. FORD Racing Performance Parts will be releasing the Whipple Supercharger for the 05 and 06 Mustang GT. According to FRPP, the Whipple will be out in a month or two. This would coincide perfectly with the unveiling of a GT350 supercharged 4.6 at the autoshow. They'll say this, "and now, you can turn your Mustang GT into one of these with the new supercharger offered through FRPP. I can't wait!!!

stang22

Established Member
...Just got this link,so it must be true,..at least I hope its true!!..It would be very cool that they(carroll and ford) build 999 of them using the 66 mustang!!..This is almost too good to be true!! If Carroll builds it,..it'll be ultra cool looking with great performance!! I'm scared of the price though!! Chances are,it just another svt product using shelby's name and will fall in line below the gt500 and around the boss!Here's the link: :beer: http://la-auto-show.autoblog.com/2006/03/23/shelby-gt350h-in-the-works-for-new-york/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread