GT350 at New York Auto Show

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I think that Ford should offer more than one Shelby Mustang, and a GT350 would be fantastic. In other words a 350hp version of the regular GT with upgrades suspension, tires, wheels, brakes, and the option to strip it down a little. I would sell great.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
From Autoweek:

"One more little teaser: We hear Ford is putting the finishing touches on a special throwback Mustang for New York, one that echoes the famed Hertz rental car Shelby Mustangs from the ’60s. Ford isn’t talking, but sources tell us the latest incarnation of the Shelby GT350H will carry the same gold-on-black paint scheme as the 1966 original. The new GT350H will also offer higher performance in keeping with the car from the past that, legend has it, was often rented and raced (though participation in SCCA events is unsubstantiated). Ford built 999 copies of the 1966 GT350H, which featured a 289-cid, 306-hp V8."

LSR

2nd To None
Established Member
mattsstang87 said:
I think that Ford should offer more than one Shelby Mustang, and a GT350 would be fantastic. In other words a 350hp version of the regular GT with upgrades suspension, tires, wheels, brakes, and the option to strip it down a little. I would sell great.

I agree

chuckstang

Established Member
Sources say :
you were neglected as a kid and got dumped by your girl friend for having a tiny penis
Oh wait, its still better then any car you will ever own

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
Dr Auto X said:
Yep and that's the same # they're going to use on this car.

Ok,

Anyways I am thinking this:
Lets say they do make 7000-8000 GT500s, they need something that more people can get, so I would think that they would move the GT500 in to a price and performance range closer to the Vette ie, 500 horsepower and 50-55k range, and then make the GT350 more on par with the 03/04 Cobras. Possibly a S/C 4.6 W/ 400 HP in the low to mid 40s. Make about the same amount, maybe a little more.

That is just my thinking. We will just have to wait and see!

Last edited:

Jpjr

Established Member
03LGCOBRA said:
Dr Auto X said:
Yep and that's the same # they're going to use on this car.[/QUOTE

Ok,

Anyways I am thinking this:
Lets say they do make 7000-8000 GT500s, they need something that more people can get, so I would think that they would move the GT500 in to a price and performance range closer to the Vette ie, 500 horsepower and 50-55k range, and then make the GT350 more on par with the 03/04 Cobras. Possibly a S/C 4.6 W/ 400 HP in the low to mid 40s. Make about the same amount, maybe a little more.

That is just my thinking. We will just have to wait and see!

it would be much smarter IMO to release a DOHC 5.4 NA. you will get more power than the GT but not have the warranty concerns of the blower. in fact that is almost certainly what they will do.

fordification

Established Member
Dr Auto X said:
2007 GT500 2dr coupe unibody construction
Width - 73.9in Length - 187.6in Weight - 3920lbs
-----------------------------------------------
2006 Crown Victoria 4 door sedan body on frame
Width - 78.2in Length - 212in Weight - 3940lbs

when did the vic get 500hp?

03LGCOBRA

Established Member
Jpjr said:
03LGCOBRA said:
it would be much smarter IMO to release a DOHC 5.4 NA. you will get more power than the GT but not have the warranty concerns of the blower. in fact that is almost certainly what they will do.

Maybe, depends on how true they want to stay to the Shelby lines. The old 350s had smaller engines and handled a lot better. Not to sound like jetta boy, but a 5.4 would be heavy for only 350-400 horsepower, making the thing harder to set up for good handling. IMO that would be awsome to have a N/A but a 4.6 seems more liekly to me. Like I said we will just have to wait and see.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
350fwhp is easy with the current 3v 4.6. A tuner and better intake (CAI) will bring you close. With Ford's knowlege of their own engine, they can easily tune it to make 300whp (350-360fwhp).

TORQUERULES

Established Member
BTW, this past weekend I saw a fully equipped '06 Mustang GT run am 8.48 & 8.42 1/8 on a shitty track and spinning pretty bad in first (on stock 17" tires). It just had a CAI and tuner. That is a 12.88 sec car in the 1/4. I think a 350fwhp 3v 4.6 GT350 would be great.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Why not keep the weight savings of the Al 4.6 block, but pair it with the better-breathing 4v GT heads? Fourcam, would this make sense or not? We know the 4v 5.4 NA would benefit from the heads, but what about the 4.6, perhaps with different cams & intake?

What's the weight difference from the Al 4.6 block to the complete GT500 block (including blower and required accessories)? I think I'd still rather have the Fe 4v 5.4 block, though, with the broader torque curve. I guess I just don't see that much distinction between the aforementioned 3v "GT350" and a regular GT.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I am talking bang for the buck. That is why I am mentioning a modded 3v. I would much rather see an N/A 5.4 or the old Terminator motor too.

BTW, since this will be a Hertz replica, will it also be available with an automatic?

fordification

Established Member
Even though the 4.6 couldn't handle as much power and doesn't respond as well as the 5.4 with aftermarkets, just make it a solid 350hp lightweight, and work on weight savings. Carrol always said he preferred the GT-350's agility with the hi-po 289 over the cumbersome 500's with the 428.

Users who are viewing this thread