Got a WRX (PSA)

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
That's a (Texas Speed) built ls3 418 stroker. Also have a huge Moroso oil pan on it. But even when it was stock (and 'stock' with turbo), I had no such issues

I need to hear more about this. What are the specs?

Blades

Established Member
Well, it likely makes about 600+RWHP (made 500+ at 3800-4000 rpm before a damn exhaust pipe blew off; it was slip on.. since changed to v-band for entire exhaust). I mean, hell with the stock motor at 5.8psi it made 526RWHP.. So.. 600 is probably a touch conservative; I just don't like to extrapolate. I'm running just under 10lbs on a larger Bullseye Power (which is a modded borg warner turbo).. I think it's an 83mm (I know it's a "BatMoWheel"). To be honest, I miss the quicker spool smaller turbo.. but that thing was way too small for 418. The reason why I'm keeping this restrained? The awful Fisher Price 4L70E.. It's built, but it's still a 4L70E. One of the most annoying parts of this stupid thing is the TCM doesn't doesn't obey converter lock parameters when you let off the gas (and not at all in 2nd gear).. So converter locks... let off gas.. and tada.. unlock. ANNOYING. I'm trying to think of anything else I do not like, but that list is pretty short.

I will go 4L80E once I fully let go of my dreams of a 6MT. I'm not there yet. haha. I really loathe having 4 gears. Besides, a manual out of a SSR would be so much fun. It just hasn't been done yet and I'm not willing to commit to that right now.

I really like how I can drive it just about everywhere with no issues.. And it even gets 18-19mpg if you pussyfoot on highway; 20 if you go slower than 55. Realistically it gets lower than that.. mid teens. I know it's funny to mention MPG with this, but it's just the kind of weirdo I am.. I appreciate full efficiency. I just know that if I were to turn things up, I'd have issues (with the transmission) for sure.

I haven't brought it to the track either.. too far away from the good stuff in FL, time too limited. I hope I didn't miss anything. Here is an older video my friend took. Have it idling better now since.

I'll try to get in-car video.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Our TBSS was an awesome ride. Then it started having electrical issues and after spending $2k to only have the same issues keep returning, I said enough was enough. It was fun though.

Blades

Established Member
sounds nasty AF. I love that you have a trailer hitch on it. 2WD or 4WD?
It's 2WD with 555Rs. AWD have an even worse go of it once they make power. There was even one case of a stock awd that broke it's transmission. I would've gladly paid extra at dealer for a better transmission.. I hate that they were only auto too, considering SSR is the same platform.. oh well. I do love this thing :)

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Blades...? I just realized this was you. I remember your old Terminator and some elicit videos with it.

Blades

Established Member
Blades...? I just realized this was you. I remember your old Terminator and some elicit videos with it.
Yep that's me. I have another Terminator now.. same color too!

I just got the WRX back. Mostly everything fixed. Pulls hard now. Good God tho, the gearing in these things is a bit much. It seems the Japanese are quite fond of short gearing with their AWD cars. Makes sense, tho

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Aren't the 6-speed transmissions in the EVO made of glass? I thought that was why the 5-speed transmission swap was so popular.

6 speed was exclusive to the MR which was known to be weaker than the 5 speed. 5spd was pretty stout regularly taking 500+whp easily.

I honestly like these cars, the WRX|STi, it's not a car I want to hate....but the laundry list of issues has always kept me away.

+1. Ive always liked them too. Especially in the early 00's when I was knee deep into DSMs.

Subi's never responded as well to mods as the 4G63 and as such I never made the switch. Plus they were pretty weak.

The 4g63 is arguably the best 4 cylinder ever made. Its a ****ing brute.

It's 2WD with 555Rs. AWD have an even worse go of it once they make power. There was even one case of a stock awd that broke it's transmission. I would've gladly paid extra at dealer for a better transmission.. I hate that they were only auto too, considering SSR is the same platform.. oh well. I do love this thing :)

We bought a brand new 08 2wd TBSS that my wife and I liked a LOT. Eventually sold it and I miss that truck dearly.

Im always looking for a cheap one to buy again and then add an on3 76mm turbo kit along with a 4l80 swap.

Would be a sick truck.

Love yours!!

Blades

Established Member
Yeah and the great part is that you could do that and keep the blended MAF + VE setup, as the ECM in the 07-09 TBSS is far more capable. I wouldn't want to deal with 'Virtual VE' but would probably accept the trade-off for MAF tables with more headroom. Plus, you can log more stuff at a higher fps. Just great from a tuning prospective. I think by now they also have the 2bar OS which would be crucial for a turbo app. 2006=E40 2007+=E38

It's amazing how different the ECMs are in terms of their capabilities.. And it is dealing in terms of mhz processor differences . I shudder to think what it's like to tune a 2002 WRX but ilI'probably end up crossing that bridge. Haha. Even the 2005+ Mustangs were slow for logging stuff. Yikes.

4a7191a

Established Member
The 4g63 is arguably the best 4 cylinder ever made. Its a ****ing brute.
No argument there. I miss mine, buddy of mine has two old school dsm's still going. One's over 500whp and somehow besides the little things it's holding together. Stock bottom end with arp head studs.
The other is awd autocar. Just a 16g build still quick for what it is. Plus his daily.
Dsmlink would of saved alot of old dsm's from tuning errors from the old Safc days.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Holy crap, Eddie, your TBSS sounds way better (in a nasty way) than I expected. You must surprise a lot of people at stop lights when they hear the cam lope and exhaust. I wish that setup was in my '16 Edge Sport. LOL.

Blades

Established Member
Yeah Bob, did you think I got soft? :)

Update: I have a disease.
2014 Radical SR3

Update 2: I'm happy I got outbid.. as that wasn't the street legal Radical. My impulsive bidding is ticking up a bit tho!

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

I went high 11s in the late 90s with an SAFC, 2g MAF, and 660cc injectors.

I eventually moved to DSMLink and an EVO MAF with a billet wheel custom 20g sized turbo. That car was fun as hell and I miss it dearly!

Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blades

Established Member
I went high 11s in the late 90s with an SAFC, 2g MAF, and 660cc injectors.

I eventually moved to DSMLink and an EVO MAF with a billet wheel custom 20g sized turbo. That car was fun as hell and I miss it dearly!

Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I have DSMLink!! I bought it when I thought I was buying a DSM.. Only to find out the typical DSM nonsense.. "Yes the car works but it doesn't drive". I think it's such a neat tuning package..

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I have DSMLink!! I bought it when I thought I was buying a DSM.. Only to find out the typical DSM nonsense.. "Yes the car works but it doesn't drive". I think it's such a neat tuning package..

I got pretty good at tuning DSMLink after watching all the set up and how to videos on their website.

That software is powerful and guys have gone FAST using it.

I still want to slap a 4g63 into a rwd chassis with a a th350 behind it and build a cheap drag car that breaks tons of hearts.

Blades

Established Member
Look at this Japanese tomfoolery. Gear ratio (cheating) magic. I guess I'm not complaining too much, makes for lots of fun. But still. This is 6th gear. I should also probably wipe down my dashboard.

Users who are viewing this thread