Going Twin Turbo & Need Opinions

Venomous 03

Established Member
Going Twin Turbo & Need Opinions

Unless the OP wants to become a drag car making 1200rwhp he does not need the added lag from the T4 flange. With his current setup, there is no advantage and a lot of disadvantage to going something out of it's compressor range.

Like i stated before,there will be no lag difference from a t3 .8x than a t4 .6x

Even if there WAS a lag,OP mentioned auto in the future.Properly stalled and transbrake....what lagg??? Lol

Goodluck with the build OP.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I was talking 3" down pipes, if he goes t4's 3" up pipes make sense but I don't think it's useful on t3's because iirc, t3's have a smaller flange and it would just have to neck down anyways.

My 57mm hp racing kit had 2.5" up, down/hotside on 1/5/8-2.5" headers. It was designed around the t3 housings obviously.

I'd only go t4 if you go 5.0-5.3 and with 62's on a 5.3 the op will not have a dyno queen drivability/spool wise but honestly 1200+whp is not able to hook under 100mph on drag radials imo.

To the op, I'd say twin 58/58's on e85 with cam and 3" down pipes with a custom cold side would make at least 1,000whp. You won't be maxing the turbos, but around 1060whp you will be so it will still have a good bit of back pressure setup like that, but you just have to decide on a combo that caters to intended use. If you won't run high boost often, you'll have the most fun on cruising boost with a twin 58-60mm combo on t3's with 3" down pipes. Good thing is you can keep the 4.6 at that size and it'll feel awesome with 3.73's. Probably about perfect for what you're looking for.

-twin 58/58 precisions with all the best parts like ball bearing, ceramic for looks, etc
-those cams but not overly aggressive
-cg fab hour side/ff headers 1/3/4-3", 3" hotside
-complete head clean up, maybe a little port and polish for extra flow/less restriction but not needed
-e85 (which I believe you have, corned article from mm&ff I believe was your car, if so/or not awesome build man.)
-3.73's
-truboost
-tuning and all the tertiary stuff like quality head gaskets, clamps, etc
-tial bov's are my personal pick in a twin 50mm setup
-3.5" intercooler is plenty for 1000whp, mishimoto is awesome.
-waste gates I'd go with 1 piece compgates from turbosmart
-there's lots more but that's a great starting point imo

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Waiting for OP to say this is a joke. I can't believe the cleanest, sexiest Terminator engine bay in the world is going to be taken apart :(

nastynotch483

Established Member
Tc good luck on the new turbo set up your car is awesome and look awesome at mustang week! If you end up parting with anything with you f1 kit let me know mines coming along good we are going auto but I still do not have my A/A set up!

badblacklx

Established Member
I was talking 3" down pipes, if he goes t4's 3" up pipes make sense but I don't think it's useful on t3's because iirc, t3's have a smaller flange and it would just have to neck down anyways.

My 57mm hp racing kit had 2.5" up, down/hotside on 1/5/8-2.5" headers. It was designed around the t3 housings obviously.

I'd only go t4 if you go 5.0-5.3 and with 62's on a 5.3 the op will not have a dyno queen drivability/spool wise but honestly 1200+whp is not able to hook under 100mph on drag radials imo.

To the op, I'd say twin 58/58's on e85 with cam and 3" down pipes with a custom cold side would make at least 1,000whp. You won't be maxing the turbos, but around 1060whp you will be so it will still have a good bit of back pressure setup like that, but you just have to decide on a combo that caters to intended use. If you won't run high boost often, you'll have the most fun on cruising boost with a twin 58-60mm combo on t3's with 3" down pipes. Good thing is you can keep the 4.6 at that size and it'll feel awesome with 3.73's. Probably about perfect for what you're looking for.

-twin 58/58 precisions with all the best parts like ball bearing, ceramic for looks, etc
-those cams but not overly aggressive
-cg fab hour side/ff headers 1/3/4-3", 3" hotside
-complete head clean up, maybe a little port and polish for extra flow/less restriction but not needed
-e85 (which I believe you have, corned article from mm&ff I believe was your car, if so/or not awesome build man.)
-3.73's
-truboost
-tuning and all the tertiary stuff like quality head gaskets, clamps, etc
-tial bov's are my personal pick in a twin 50mm setup
-3.5" intercooler is plenty for 1000whp, mishimoto is awesome.
-waste gates I'd go with 1 piece compgates from turbosmart
-there's lots more but that's a great starting point imo
I agree with atleast 3" downpipes however stay with 1-5/8 primaries and 2.5 up pipes regardless of any modular engine size. The smaller primaries and up pipes keep velocity up in the hotside which goes a good way in reducing spool and overall performance. Just some evidence a good friend of mine was pretty competitive in x275 and ran a 440 billet headed engine with 2.5 crossover and it made 2200hp+. I still maintain t3 is a much better choice for his application.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I agree with atleast 3" downpipes however stay with 1-5/8 primaries and 2.5 up pipes regardless of any modular engine size. The smaller primaries and up pipes keep velocity up in the hotside which goes a good way in reducing spool and overall performance. Just some evidence a good friend of mine was pretty competitive in x275 and ran a 440 billet headed engine with 2.5 crossover and it made 2200hp+. I still maintain t3 is a much better choice for his application.

I can't find a 1/3/4-3" header kit on cgfabs so I'm pretty sure you're right and I'm mistaken here. I do know I have Caleb's hotside and intercooler but I think I've stated the wrong size headers.

I think .80+ t3's are overall a better choice for the op. A setup centered around twin t3 58/58's to maybe twin 60/60's with 3" down, custom cold side, e85, cams and head work through a t56 (all things the op stated they'll have) should comfortably exceed1,000whp. Only thing I would want to know is how much back pressure it'll have with a combo like that on 25-30 psi, but if the hotside is a proper kit like cg fabs, heads are slightly worked over, etc, I'd imagine it'd be ok but maybe on the high side of safe since the turbos are nearing maxed out.

I couldn't find concrete info either way near that turbo/power/displacement window (1200whp was my goal) so on my build I went 5.3 and baby t4's. The op has a great 4.6 longblock as is though so t3's upto about 58-60's are likely the all around best choice for 1000whp capable but very enjoyable/torque rich on lower boost.

tarheeltrooper

900 H.P. Club
Established Member
Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry I have been very busy as of late. I had my first child and having to go back to work off of paternity leave was hard getting use too. I got my other cobra running tonight, its a very nice stoker motor, ported/cammed single 76mm turbo/auto mystic car I bought off of here few months ago. It is just a buy and sell car (I buy and sell 03-04 cobras on the side as a hobby for those of you that may not know). I bought that car along with a nice cummins 3500, so money is a tad scarce at the moment to say the least.

tt335ci03cobra - thank you so much for the in depth lengthy advise you took the time to share with me, that was super nice.

All of the others (minus the drama) I really appreciate you taking the time to comment in my thread trying to help me.

Ive done some thinking over the last few days and it seems that since I normally go way over the top when it comes to builds that this TT setup may need to wait. I do not want to half ass a custom 1 of a kind build and not have all of the proper items so that I am truly happy with going TT. The information left here for me by you all is perfect because when that time comes I can revisit this thread and get to ordering parts. Plus spending time with my baby boy during these important early stages of his life on weekends instead of working on a car for a few months is more important.

I suppose as of now I will keep the setup I have and to suit my never ending search for a change I will change some items on exterior and interior.

Once again thanks for trying to lend a helping hand with advice guys!

Last edited:

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
Bad ass ....can't wait to see what you end up doing. ..iam actually having a custom sheepeybuilt twin turbo kit built on my car as we speak ...my setup is 6466dbb precision turbo existing the bumper I'll post some pictures of soon...shooting for 8s and yes mine will be a show car as well....lol:):):):) nothing wrong with looking good and going fast...subbn

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Great thinking op, and thanks for the kind appreciation. Happy holidays! Congratulations and best wishes for your family and newborn. Very choice thinking on spending time with the little one and making family first a priority.

Enjoy what you have! It's awesome, super clean, and ready for cosmetic tweaks like you plan. I also am about to take on some custom interior ideas. I saw the white cobra with Italian leather and gold ccw's in interior/exterior section... Wow.

Show and go for the win, hell ya

stangfreak

Established Member
Hpp upper Sullivan lower. Two of my friends went that route. Picked up lots of power, no lag issues or anything wild associated or what's being said about the Sullivan. Low 8 second ride. If I were to go turbo, that's what I would do and not think twice.

But in all honesty, all this car needs is an auto.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread